"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: ntldr is missing
Reply #30 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:27am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 3:12am:
My Dells don't boot into Windows at all if a non bootable USB device is plugged in. 

You might be able to change that behavior.

What is the boot priority in the BIOS?  Do you have USB devices mentioned before the HDD?

You could try removing the USB device(s) from the boot order (if there), and then use whatever key combination is needed to bring up the device boot menu during initial startup to manually select a USB device when needed.

My system does a similar thing--if I'm booting from a bootable CD, which also has DOS USB drivers loading, with a non-bootable USB thumb drive attached --it hangs the system--have to remove the thumb drive and reboot.  But, there's no problem if I'm booting to Windows and have that same non-bootable thumb drive attached.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 5:34pm

@
NightOwl

Thanks for the reminder. I used to use that method but I occasionally forgot to press F12 to get the boot menu and then I'd have to wait for Windows to load and shutdown. I can't win either way. The current method is the lesser of two evils.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #32 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:07am

@
Brian

Quote:
I used to use that method but I occasionally forgot to press F12 to get the boot menu and then I'd have to wait for Windows to load and shutdown.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one  Cheesy !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print