Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Moving to a Intel 520 SSD (Read 58468 times)
Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Moving to a Intel 520 SSD
Sep 4th, 2012 at 2:33pm

I'm doing a clean install of Win7 64 and moving to a Intel 520 SSD hard drive.
Are there any issues with Ghost 15?
I haven't even looked, but as long as I'm here, any need to deactivate the old copy?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Moving to a Intel 520 SSD
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:38pm

@
Mr Moose

I have a 120 GB Intel 520 SSD. Bought it 6 weeks ago just before the price drop.

No problems with Ghost. Why don't you transfer your Win7 to the SSD? That could save you a lot of installing.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:57pm

I picked up a virus some where, and I don't trust my image, and I just installed Lightroom 4 and Photoshop cs6 extended.
It was suggested to me that with the SSD there could be a problem with a partition alinement (what ever that means) from a image taking from my old drive, and that it would be better to do a clean install, and load all of my important software and first make a clone on a stand alone drive. Then load all of the rest of the less important software and then start to make new images on my image backup drive.
Not sure if it's good advice or not, but it wouldn't be a bad thing, just time consuming.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:19pm

Mr Moose wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:57pm:
I picked up a virus some where, and I don't trust my image

Understood.

Do you plan to have Win7 and WinXP on the SSD? Or just Win7?

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:29pm

Just Win7 64 on the SSD for now as I don't use Winxp very often any more, but I do have one need for it, and that's when I want to print longer than 37.25" on my Epson 3800 printer.
There isn't enough room on the ssd for a duel boot. So at some point I will need Winxp  Still have images that will be saved.      

Radified Community Forums

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:35pm

You could have your SSD and the old HD in the computer. That's what I've done. BIBM will boot all your OS on each drive.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:26am

Brian,

The fact the Winxp was a hidden partition when I got the virus, do you think its OK? I could just format the Win7 partition (this is on a 1TB drive) And just leave Winxp alone.
What does BIBM mean?
It would be nice to setup another duel boot like I had before, so the two dives are hidden from each other.
Now I have the donating task of finding all of my old software for the clean install, a lot of it my be in my email which is on a sever here at work, only because thats where my email started, and were allowed to use it for personal use ( I work for a University) but I do have a Gmail account as well, for stuff like picture sales that wouldn't be appropriate on my other account.   

Brian wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:35pm:
You could have your SSD and the old HD in the computer. That's what I've done. BIBM will boot all your OS on each drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:33pm

@
Mr Moose

BIBM is BootIt Bare Metal. I know you have BootIt NG and I thought you were going to upgrade to BIBM.

If WinXP was hidden it should have been safe from the virus. I assume BING or BIBM is installed on your current HD. Leave it there. It doesn't have to be moved to the SSD. When ready you could delete the old Win7 partition and create a new partition in its place. You could boot WinXP from the old HD and Win7 from the SSD. Keep each hidden from the other as you did before. In Boot Edit you will need to tick the Swap option as WinXP will not be on HD0. The SSD will be HD0.

One piece of advice. Make sure the SSD is plugged into SATA port 0. I had mine plugged into port 2 for a few hours and I couldn't work out why my OS took 5 minutes to boot.

When installing Win7 to the SSD, use this tutorial.

Installing Windows 7 to its Own Primary Partition (video) on...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 4:06pm

Brian,
One thing I forgot to mention, it was suggested that I add a SATA III adapter card as my PC is old. Here's I link to it, let know what you think? It has two SATA III ports that both come up as port zero. Its installed and I can boot with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150031&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-A...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 4:17pm

@
Mr Moose

Sounds great. I should get one. I'm using a SATA II motherboard.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 12:35pm

Brian,
Check out this link for a lengthy discussion I had about my SSD, you might find some useful info, let me know what you think. 

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=69942.0

Brian wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 4:17pm:
@
Mr Moose

Sounds great. I should get one. I'm using a SATA II motherboard.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:29pm

@
Mr Moose

Good thread. I asked similar questions before my purchase. Several people said don't worry about the SATA II motherboard as despite the benchmarks, practically I wouldn't notice a difference in performance.

When you create the primary partitions on your SSD with BootIt, make sure BootIt is set for "Align on 2048 Sectors". It's in Settings. You don't want Legacy Cylinder Aligned partitions on the SSD.   

Edit... My PC is a 2006 model too. A Dell 9150. I help friends set up their new computers and I'm reassured when their computers aren't much faster than mine. Recently a mate bought a $7000 Dell T5500 Precision Workstation and I'm glad it wasn't my money as there wasn't much performance difference from mine. Doing basic tasks anyway.

Edit... regarding the 3 1/2" adapter. I used that and installed the SSD in an empty floppy drive/Zip bay. It's nice that Intel supplies cables too.

Edit... The BootIt method (as in that video) of installing an OS consists of..
Creating a primary partition
Creating a Boot Edit Item (includes hiding relevant partitions)
Try to boot the Boot Item. It won't boot of course as there is no OS but this sets the primary partition Active.
Boot from the Win7 disc and do a custom install into the primary partition.

Edit... You already know about the Intel Toolbox. I'd also get the latest Intel RSTL driver after you have installed Win7.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 10:49am

Brian,
Your getting a little ahead of me.
What I've read up to this point is that Intel 520 is ready to go, just plug SATA cable to one of the ports on the adapter card, plug in the power cable, boot to the Win7 64 Ultimate disc. 
I would assume that port zero on the Mother board won't have anything plugged into it, in fact would I want any of my drives connected to the MB while I load the OS?
I can't find my copy of Bootit NC either, but it should be registered.
In the past you've helped me out more than once, and I really appreciate that, and I'm ready to listen to what you have say in regards to my upcoming clean install on my new SSD. I know more about computers than the average guy,  but I'm no expert, and just doing a clean install is a bit intimidating.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 1:33pm

@
Mr Moose

Mr Moose wrote on Sep 7th, 2012 at 10:49am:
n fact would I want any of my drives connected to the MB while I load the OS?

Good point. Disconnect all except the SSD.

Mr Moose wrote on Sep 7th, 2012 at 10:49am:
I can't find my copy of Bootit NC either, but it should be registered.

https://terabyteunlimited.com/product-download.php

If you are entitled to a BIBM upgrade it will be in the list. If it isn't there BING V1.87 is the latest BING. But you may have that version installed on your HD anyway. Can you let me know your BING/BIBM status?

We'll help you with the clean install. It will be EASY. Easier than WinXP.

Edit... Upgrades to BIBM are free if you purchased BING after July 1 2009 and as your purchase date was 2010 you are fine.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 2:33pm

Brian,
I will go to the link you gave me tomorrow, I have a laptop that's clean, at least antivirus says so, I can download from there.
I sure the software is on my desktop, but I can't trust that.
I just found the email from Terabyte With the order ID dates back to 8-5-10 I should be good to go. So I should be looking for the BIBM upgrade, yes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print