Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Used with Win8 (Read 88314 times)
ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost Used with Win8
Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 5:07am

I do like 11.5 although it's slow backing up. It took a good hour to backup my 1 partition with over 40gb of data, whereas Clonezilla can do it in half that, and clonezilla throttles the PC to get best performance.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 5:43am

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 5:07am:
I do like 11.5 although it's slow backing up. It took a good hour to backup my 1 partition with over 40gb of data, whereas Clonezilla can do it in half that,

As you know the hardware matters too. My OS partition (on a SSD) contains 30 GB of data and imaging takes 2.5 minutes. Image size is 14 GB.

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:08am

Yes, hardware plays a bit part in this. Wow, that's some speed!

Is there much difference in speed between Ghost.exe ( DOS) and ghost32 (WinPe)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:53am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 5:43am:
My OS partition (on a SSD) contains 30 GB of data and imaging takes 2.5 minutes.

That's incredible speed!  Is that using TeraByte or Symantec imaging software--or both?

Refresh my memory--what is the total SSD size that you have installed?

And, is this on a system that is *designed* for SSD, or an older system?  Are there compatibility issues if SSD is installed on an older system, and/or does SSD need a system that is designed to work with SSD?

What I'm getting at--does the *pipeline* for data transfer handle those rates on an older system, or does the system have to be designed differently to handle those speeds with SSD? 

Or, is that data transfer rate just the difference between a spinning HDD disk vs solid state storage?

Can I assume that you see and feel that speed difference when doing everyday tasks in Windows as well?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 4:45pm

@
ITTech32

I tried Ghost 2003 and the image creation time was 7:48. (Fast Compression) The image was 14.3 GB (one .GHO and seven .GHS files). I only have the ver 8 ghost32.exe but I'll try that if you like.

Of interest was Ghost 2003 could see my 1.8 TB backup partition as a Source but not as a Destination. I had to create the image in a 30 GB partition on the backup HD. Ghost 2003 reported the 1.8 TB partition size as -219424 MB. We've seen reports about Ghost 2003 having issues with HDs larger than 1 TB.

Edit... Using ghost32.exe from a WinPE. Imaging took 9:22.

Using IFL (Image for Linux) from a boot disk took 2:23.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 5:09pm

@
NightOwl

I've made some changes to my OS since I recorded the figures in Reply #16..

The SSD Win8 partition is ....
Total Size 58.5 GB, Free Space 30.9 GB (so Used is 27.6 GB)

I bought my first SSD (120 GB) over a year ago and installed it into a Dell computer bought in 2006 (SATA II MB). The speed difference was noted instantly. Faster OS loading times, apps opening faster and running faster. Installing a SSD is the best upgrade you can do for your computer.

I'm advised that although benchmarking is better with a SATA III MB, practically you won't feel the difference when using a SATA III SSD on a SATA II MB as opposed to a SATA III MB.

I built my current computer in November last year. Asus Sabertooth MB, 16 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD. I also have two 2 TB HDs in the computer. One (WD Black) is connected to a SATA III port and the other (WD Green) to a SATA II port. The latter is the backup drive.

For testing I've copied the Win8 SSD partition to the first HD (SATA III connected). So identical OS on two drives.

From the Boot Menu Win8 on the SSD loads in 13 seconds.
From the Boot Menu Win8 on the HD loads in 48 seconds.

The Photoshop trial on the SSD opens in 2.5 seconds.
The Photoshop trial on the HD opens in 17 seconds.

Image creation time for the Win8 partition on the SSD is 2:16. (Using IFW) Image size is 13.5 GB.
Image creation time for the Win8 partition on the HD is 3:38. (Using IFW) Image size is 13.5 GB.
(Image creation time for the Win8 partition on the SSD is 2:04 when imaged to the HD connected to the SATA III port)

As I mentioned, I installed a SATA III SSD into a 6 year old computer with a SATA II MB and the result was very impressive. I'd expect a similar result with even older computers.

I'm advised that imaging from SSD to SSD is even faster than SSD to HD.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:20am

@
Brian

Okay!  Now I'm drooling and salivating all over the floor like my black labs waiting to be fed, and I'm not getting the food to them fast enough!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 3:15am

@
NightOwl

A friend has ten different SSDs. He says they are all "the same" and to buy the cheapest one. I'm not sure about that. I have Intel 520 series drives and my neighbour has Samsungs. We are pleased with our choices. I'd expect a 120 GB SSD would be quite large enough for you as you only need to put OS on the drive. You can put your data on a HD.

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #23 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 5:10am

@Brian

To be honest, 7:48 (Fast Compression) isn't bad and I wouldn't be disappointed..

I would like to see ghost8 though!

I have version 11.5.1 and  I was taking a image of my backup partition and that for me seemed painfully slow.

I was surprised that ghost from WinPe took longer, and I'm guessing this is still Ghost 2003? This is kind of why I prefer to use DOS rather than Winpe, even though DOS is an absolute pain with drivers.

I have heard a lot of good things about Terabye software!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:59pm

@
ITTech32

Sorry for the confusion. Ghost32.exe was version 8.

I just ran it again, 9:11. Slow on my computer.

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 6th, 2013 at 5:10am:
I have heard a lot of good things about Terabye software!

And great value. The TeraByte Bundle includes BIBM, IFW, IFD, IFL and TBOSDT. Licensed for three home computers.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 7:36am

Some things you can do with TBOSDT....

access partitions that are hidden from the OS and even access partitions that aren't in the current partition table to perform the following....
view, copy, create and delete files and folders
edit text files
install boot code
create and expand virtual drives
copy and restore sectors
run certain DOS apps
convert MBR to GPT disk (and GPT to MBR)
run tbosdt scripts, (eg change Windows drive letters, Save/Restore registry, convert a physical machine to a virtual machine, allow Windows to boot from a USB HD,  remove installed drivers, change HAL)
add, delete and edit registry keys and work with hive files
install Windows drivers to a non booted OS (eg Storage controller drivers)
partitioning procedures such as create, delete, resize, format, slide, set active, edit disk signature

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 10:26am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 6th, 2013 at 3:15am:
A friend has ten different SSDs. He says they are all "the same" and to buy the cheapest one. I'm not sure about that. I have Intel 520 series drives and my neighbour has Samsungs.

So, I've done a little bit of looking around at various articles about SSDs.  I'm sure it's not exhaustive by any means. 

Ran across this reference:  LifeHacker's:  The Complete Guide To Solid State Drives

Down in the comments section, one poster makes this recommendation:

Quote:
-> Make sure that your SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (see BIOS)

Do you use that setting for your SSD set up? 

That setting in the BIOS can be a source of preventing Ghost 2003 in DOS from loading and functioning properly.  If one is using the AHCI setting and they want to use Ghost 2003, then it is often necessary to boot the system to the BIOS utility, set the SATA controller to *Compatibility* or *Legacy* mode, perform the Ghost 2003 procedure, and the re-boot to the BIOS utility, and re-set the controller back to the ACHI mode before booting back to Windows.

Any thoughts based on your experience?

More and more, it looks like the old Ghost 2003 is reaching its *end of life* status.  I don't know about the Ghost Solution Suite with Ghost v11.5.x being able to work with the ACHI mode active.

Do the TeraByte products have any issues with that--esecially the Image for DOS version?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 3:59pm

@
NightOwl

I've never used Compatibility mode in the BIOS. I've always used AHCI mode with computers containing SATA HDs. Ghost 2003 boot disks have worked, as well as other DOS apps. No issues at all.

The Dell computer I referred to above was running WinXP and the SSD made a big performance difference. There is no TRIM in WinXP so I'm not sure what happens long term. Maybe this helps.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-Tool-free-space-trimmer/t...

I just checked a fresh Win 8.1 install (on my SSD) with no drivers or applications installed. It loads in 8 seconds (from the boot menu). Fast.

Edit... The Intel SSD Toolbox app runs in WinXP (Intel drives only).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18455

Ubuntu 13.04 loads in 6 seconds. Ubuntu supports TRIM.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 9:58am

@
Brian

Quote:
I've never used Compatibility mode in the BIOS. I've always used AHCI mode with computers containing SATA HDs. Ghost 2003 boot disks have worked, as well as other DOS apps. No issues at all.

I was helping a friend who was using Ghost 2003 with two laptops--one a Toshiba and the other an HP--and they are about 3-4 years old.

Both have only a SATA controller onboard, so even though it's tough to find specs on the components installed--I presume both the HDD and optical drive have to be SATA based.

So, I looked at the BIOS on the Toshiba, and it had the option to use Compatibility mode or AHCI--it was set to AHCI.  We were using a USB HDD that is a FAT 32, DOS bootable.  Pressed the appropriate F-key to bring up the boot menu during the POST sequence.  Selected the USB HDD as the boot device and it booted to DOS--no problems--even loaded a DOS mouse driver that allowed me to use a USB attached mouse in the DOS session!

So, apparently the BIOS was presenting to the DOS OS the USB port as if it were a PS/2 serial port.

I had full access to the USB HDD without loading any separate DOS USB drivers.  I have seen posts on the forum about this behavior, but this is the first time I've had a chance to see it for myself.  It appeared that the BIOS was taking care of everything, and it was USB 2.0 speeds.

So, thinking back more, my comment about problems with the AHCI mode may have to do when trying to boot from the optical drive to DOS, and loading the USB DOS drivers during the boot up and trying to access the USB HDD in that manner.

The HP laptop was remarkable in that it had almost no options to select using the BIOS setup utility!  But, it too supported booting from the external USB HDD that was bootable to DOS, offered full access to the USB HDD at USB 2.0 speeds, and also had mouse support for the DOS loaded driver for the USB attached mouse.

Interesting.......

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #29 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 10:02am

@
Brian

Quote:
The Dell computer I referred to above was running WinXP and the SSD made a big performance difference.

Regarding migrating to a SSD, do I remember correctly that you posted an outline of how you setup your SSD prior to installing WinXP and/or Win7?

If so, could you point to that link......?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print