Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how do i include firewire support for bootable ghost 2003 CD? (Read 18036 times)
xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

how do i include firewire support for bootable ghost 2003 CD?
Sep 14th, 2013 at 9:15pm

I have a legacy computer that i've been using ghost 2003 floppy boot disk to image it with.  Without a floppy now I need to make a boot CD for ghost 2003 that supports firewire. I followed nightowl's guide to create a boot cd and then modified the config.sys and included the "fwr" folder from the original floppy bootdisk.   When I try to boot with the boot cd I get an error message telling me it that the line referencing the aspi1394 driver is invalid.  What am I doing wrong?  Are there any other files I have to edit. 

Also, in order to fit the firewire driver I had to use 2.88MB floppy emulation not 1.44.  In a post on this forum it said that ghost can't recognize an optical image created with 2.88 floppy or something like that.  what does that mean and are there any other limitations to using 2.88 floppy?  Is there any way to fit the firewire driver on to 1.44 floppy (assuming I need to).

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: how do i include firewire support for bootable ghost 2003 CD?
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 1:50am

@
xertech

Quote:
When I try to boot with the boot cd I get an error message telling me it that the line referencing the aspi1394 driver is invalid.

So, record and post here the *exact* error message.  Use the F8 key during the beginning post of the DOS OS loading so you can step through each step of the config.sys and autoexec.bat files so you can stop and get the exact wording.

I suspect it may be a path error if the error is in reference to loading the aspi1394 driver.

You do have to load the *guest* program, as well, to get a drive letter assigned to the firewire drive--but, that would not give an error that the aspi1394 is invalid.

Quote:
In a post on this forum it said that ghost can't recognize an optical image created with 2.88 floppy or something like that.  what does that mean

Probably that's in reference to the fact that Ghost 2003 only understands the 1.44 MB floppy size.  If you ask Ghost to create a bootable optical disc as part of it's image creation process, it will only create a 1.44 MB boot sector--and not the 2.88 MB that you may have created using optical disc authoring software in Windows.

Quote:
are there any other limitations to using 2.88 floppy?

It should work fine, as long as you are not hopeing to have Ghost 2003 create that 2.88 MB boot sector on a bootable backup image set.

Quote:
Is there any way to fit the firewire driver on to 1.44 floppy (assuming I need to).

Fitting the firewire driver onto the 1.44 MB boot sector of an optical disc is not a problem.  What you do is remove the *ghost.exe* from the that 1.44 MB boot sector, and place it on the data portion of the bootable optical disc that you are creating.  You need to load appropriate DOS drivers to access the optical disc from DOS, and load the *ghost.exe* from the data portion of the optical disc instead of from the boot sector of the optical disc once you are booted to DOS.

You manually switch from the A:\ prompt to whatever drive letter is given the optical disc and load *ghost.exe* from that location.  You can automate any or all of that if you modifiy the config.sys and autoexec.bat according to what drive letter that is being assigned, or you are assigning through DOS commands.

I can walk you through the various steps if the above is something that you are not familiar with.  Just let me know.

Post the current content of your config.sys and autoexec.bat along with the exact error message, and we can probably help.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 3:50am

Quote:
It should work fine, as long as you are not hopeing to have Ghost 2003 create that 2.88 MB boot sector on a bootable backup image set.

What is a bootable backup image set?

I will post the error message and contents of config.sys and autoexec.bat after this reply.  Thanks in advance for your help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:22am

@
xertech

Quote:
What is a bootable backup image set?

If you are saving an image to optical media, you can have DOS Ghost 2003 make the media bootable as well as saving the image file(s) to the optical media.

Ghost 2003 will copy whatever is in the A:\ drive that you have used to boot to this session of Ghost usage.  But, as mentioned above, Ghost will copy only the first 1.44 MB because that's how Ghost 2003 is programmed.  You can also ask Ghost to read boot files from a floppy drive to be placed in the 1.44 MB boot sector of your optical media (Ghost gives you that option if you have elected to make the optical disc image set bootable).  But, again the size limit is 1.44 MB.  If you have created the 2.88 MB emulated floppy drive size on bootable optical media, or have a floppy drive and a 2.88 floppy disk (do they actually exist?), Ghost will still use that data, but only read the first 1.44 MB, and the rest is *truncated*, and not present in the boot sector of the optical media that it is being creating.

As a side note:  You can use a command line switch that will tell Ghost 2003 to place a copy of the *ghost.exe* file on the data portion of an optical disc where the image files are also being placed.  This allows you to have Ghost available even though you may have left it out of the optical media's boot sector that has that 1.44 MB size limit.  You just have to load the appropriate DOS optical disc drivers so you can access the data disc in the optical drive once you are booted to DOS.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:31pm

Not sure if there's a way to save command line contents booting from a cd, so I will just type the error lines out below.
---------------------error #1--------------
DEVICE=FWR\ASPI1394.SYS /INT /ALL [Enter=Y, Esc=N]?Y

The following file is missing or corrupted: FWR\ASPI1394.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 2
=============================

-------------error #2------------------
A:\mouse.com
mouse.com [Enter=Y, Esc=N]?Y
Microsoft (R) Mouse Driver  Version 8.20
Copyright (c) microsoft COrp.
COpyright (c) IBM
Driver not Installed -- Mouse not Found

A:\Mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v [Etner=Y, Esc=N]?
=======================

---------CONTENTS OF AUTOEXEC.BAT
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe
======================

-------------CONTENTS OF CONFIG.SYS
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
DEVICE = fwr\aspi1394.sys /int /all
lastdrive=z
=======================

IP Logged

xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:34pm

Quote:
Fitting the firewire driver onto the 1.44 MB boot sector of an optical disc is not a problem.  What you do is remove the *ghost.exe* from the that 1.44 MB boot sector, and place it on the data portion of the bootable optical disc that you are creating.  You need to load appropriate DOS drivers to access the optical disc from DOS, and load the *ghost.exe* from the data portion of the optical disc instead of from the boot sector of the optical disc once you are booted to DOS.

You manually switch from the A:\ prompt to whatever drive letter is given the optical disc and load *ghost.exe* from that location.  You can automate any or all of that if you modifiy the config.sys and autoexec.bat according to what drive letter that is being assigned, or you are assigning through DOS commands.

I can walk you through the various steps if the above is something that you are not familiar with.  Just let me know.

Walk me through ALL of it please.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 1:14pm

@
xertech

Quote:
Walk me through ALL of it please.

Okay.

So need to gather some more basic information:

List the files, and any sub-directories and files within those, that you are adding to the 2.44 MB emulated floppy disk that you are burning to the boot CD--need a complete list.

Also, you said:

xertech wrote on Sep 14th, 2013 at 9:15pm:
I have a legacy computer that i've been using ghost 2003 floppy boot disk to image it with.

Are you able to access the config.sys and autoexec.bat on the floppy--using another system if need be?  Post the contents of those two boot files from the floppy, and all the files that are on the floppy disk + any sub-directories and the files within those.

That additional information should give us enough to put together a working boot CD with firewire support.

IP Logged

xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 3:55pm

---------Files from 2.44MB emulated floppy/cd
FWR (FOLDER)\ASPI1394.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
EBD.CAB (NOT INCLUDED ON BOOT IMAGE)
GHOST.EXE
IO.SYS
MOUSE.COM
MSCDEX.EXE
MSDOS.SYS
OAKCDROM.SYS
=============

-----------Contents of Autoexec.bat From GHOST 2003 Floppy Disc (not Boot CD)---------

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE
===========

---------Contents of Config.sys GHOST 2003 Floppy Disc (not Boot CD)-----

DEVICE = fwr\aspi1394.sys /int /all
LASTDRIVE = Z

======================

---------------CONTENTS OF FLOPPY BOOT DISK GHOST 2003  (not Boot CD)----------

FWR(FOLDER)\ASPI1394.SYS
GHOST(FOLDER)\GHOST.EXE
GHOST(FOLDER)\GHOSTERR.TXT
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
GHOSTERR.TXT
GUEST.EXE
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM
MOUSE.COM
MOUSE.INI
=================

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:48am

@
xertech

xertech wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:31pm:
DEVICE=FWR\ASPI1394.SYS /INT /ALL [Enter=Y, Esc=N]?Y

So, it looks like this is the same command line on your boot CD that is being used on the floppy boot disk.  I presume the floppy boot disk was loading the various files successfully, but the boot CD does not--is that correct that the floppy disk had no problems?

So, let's jump through the hoops--boot the CD and let it go through its sequence of events.  If I read the boot files correctly, you should end up with Ghost loaded when all is done--is that correct?  But, you will not have access to any firewire device--again, correct?

So, Quit Ghost.  (You should be able to navigate inside Ghost with the up and down arrow keys and the tab and enter keys.)  You should be at the A:\> prompt--correct?

Type the directory command:  dir  (and then enter).  Is the FWR folder listed?

If Yes, then type the change directory command:  cd FWR  (and then enter).

Once at the FWR folder, type the directory command:  dir  (and then enter).  Is the ASPI1394.SYS file listed?

xertech wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:31pm:
-------------error #2------------------
A:\mouse.com
mouse.com [Enter=Y, Esc=N]?Y
Microsoft (R) Mouse DriverVersion 8.20  Copyright (c) microsoft COrp.
COpyright (c) IBM
Driver not Installed -- Mouse not Found

Could you check and see if the mouse.com that is being loaded on the boot CD is the same version that is loaded by the floppy boot disk.

You have shown that the floppy boot disk has these two files: 

Quote:
MOUSE.COM
MOUSE.INI

but, the boot CD only has this one file:

Quote:
MOUSE.COM

I think the mouse.com driver that is being loaded by the boot CD requires the *mouse.ini* to be present as well.  When booting from a floppy drive, if *mouse.ini* is not already present, the mouse.com will create it--writing it to the floppy disk.  But, when booting from a boot CD, the virtual A:\ drive that is created from the boot sector of the boot CD is a *read-only* A:\ drive--nothing can be written to it.  If *mouse.ini* is included in the list of files that you have placed in the CD boot sector, then mouse.com will use that already existing file (doesn't need to write it to the virtual A:\ drive), and will find and load the mouse successfully.

Just to be sure--on this older system, is the mouse hooked up to the motherboard via a PS/2 serial connector--not a USB mouse?

IP Logged

xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 2:42am

Quote:
is that correct that the floppy disk had no problems?
YES.

Quote:
If I read the boot files correctly, you should end up with Ghost loaded when all is done--is that correct?  But, you will not have access to any firewire device--again, correct?
YES AND YES.

Quote:
So, Quit Ghost.  (You should be able to navigate inside Ghost with the up and down arrow keys and the tab and enter keys.)  You should be at the A:\> prompt--correct?
YES.

Quote:
Type the directory command:  dir  (and then enter).  Is the FWR folder listed?
NO.

ASPI1394.sys is in root directory of boot cd.  I missed a step in not creating a "FWR" folder inside of winimage.  So, when i injected the folder in winimage it put the aspi1394 file in the root directory (virtual a:\ in this case) and not in a folder. 

So, is that it as far as imaging to a firewire drive? 

As far as the mouse I'm using a USB mouse on the legacy system.

Is there anything else I should do or will the Ghost bootcd work fine as is?

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to further refine this boot cd.

IP Logged

xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 3:09am

Oh and before I forget, once we've refined this firewire based CD I want to move on to a USB 2.0 based CD next.  Specifically, including a way to access an external drive via USB.  I have an old laptop that has a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter plugged in.  Can I make a ghost boot cd that will allow an old thinkpad to access a USB external drive via the PCMCIA USB2.0 adapter?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 9:35am

@
xertech

xertech wrote on Oct 5th, 2013 at 2:42am:
Is there anything else I should do or will the Ghost bootcd work fine as is?

You need to add the loading of *guest.exe* in autoexec.bat in order for a DOS drive letter to be assigned the firewire drive.

xertech wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 3:55pm:
-----------Contents of Autoexec.bat From GHOST 2003 Floppy Disc (not Boot CD)---------

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE 

And that file (guest.exe) needs to be included in the files that are placed in the 2.88 MB boot sector.

xertech wrote on Oct 5th, 2013 at 2:42am:
As far as the mouse I'm using a USB mouse on the legacy system. 

Is it a desktop or laptop?  If a laptop, the touchpad on most laptops are PS/2 devices and the mouse.com would be usable.  Need to add the *mouse.ini* file to the files that are placed in the 2.88 MB boot sector.

xertech wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 3:55pm:
---------------CONTENTS OF FLOPPY BOOT DISK GHOST 2003(not Boot CD)----------

FWR(FOLDER)\ASPI1394.SYS
GHOST(FOLDER)\GHOST.EXE
GHOST(FOLDER)\GHOSTERR.TXT
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
GHOSTERR.TXT
GUEST.EXE
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM
MOUSE.COM
MOUSE.INI

There is a outside possibility that a USB DOS driver can be added that will give you USB mouse functionality--but, only if USB access to a USB HDD is not loaded--and in your case as outlined above, it is not.  This will take some time to outline the steps to try, and I have to leave soon for another commitment.  If you're interested, let me know and we can walk through the testing later.

Are you using a USB keyboard, and PS/2 serial keyboard?

Quote:
Oh and before I forget, once we've refined this firewire based CD I want to move on to a USB 2.0 based CD next.

Okay, but let's open a separate thread under that subject heading.  I think that PCMCIA USB2.0 adapters may not be supported by the Ghost USB drivers.  But, the Panasonic USB DOS drivers may work.  Here's a long thread to reference information about that driver:  A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print