Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Batch file functionality missing in WinXP (Read 13683 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Batch file functionality missing in WinXP
Sep 28th, 2013 at 12:05am

To All

Quite some time ago, my WinXP lost its *batch file* (.bat) mo jo.

I have a couple batch files that I use rarely, but one day I clicked on it, and I got the *No program is associated with that file type, would you like to select from a list of available programs blah, blah, blah.....* dialog box.

I went to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Folder Options and clicked on the *File Types* tab.  You can search for either the Extensions (bat), or the File Types description.  Attached at the end of this post is the screen shot output--no *bat* extension to be seen in the alphabetical listing--or anywhere in the listing.

I have no idea why this functionality was gone.  It may have been some security update by Microsoft, or some other program that I tested or installed that for some reason whacked the system's ability to run a batch file.

I fiddled around for awhile and finally figured out how to bring it back (my memory is foggy--I either used a registry hack to restore the *bat file associations* from Doug Knox's website, or used the functionality of the *File Types* tab to add a *New* file association that allowed me to fix it--it was one of those two.)

So I can run my occasional batch file again, and it works just fine.

But, I was getting ready to do some batch file testing for another thread I'm going to be involved in, and just thought I'd check out the *Folder Options* to make sure the *BAT* extension was listed--and you guess it!--the *bat* extension is not to be found in the list of File Types that is associated with that extension.  It has the listing exactly the same as you see in the screen shot at the end of this post.

But, the functionality is still working.  My batch files run exactly as they should.  The file type is just missing from the list.

Has anyone else been aware of this behavior?  Either in a WinXP system, any of the other versions since--Vista, Win7 or Win8?

Has anyone else lost the *bat* functionality?

Has anyone else had to restore the functionality, and the *bat* extension was added back to the list of extensions in the Folder Options?

And now, is the file type no longer listed in the Folder Options--but, you have the functionality still?

Just wondering if this is just my system's strangeness, or if anyone else has seen the same thing?

If anyone *knows* about this, and why it happened in the first place, I'd sure like to be pointed in the right direction for an explanation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Batch file functionality missing in WinXP
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 4:56pm

@
NightOwl

I looked at two of my WinXP OS. Neither have BAT in the File Types tab list. Batch files work fine.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 10:16pm

either / or...

apparently hiliting one and using the DELETE button will remove it???

That ADD button under the reg file types window... does it allow you to add one??

...and if it allows a file name and extension to be added, how would one add what NightOwl is missing??

good grief... I have 335 with extensions in there... and 22 without extensions... can I delete the ones that I don't have the programs for any longer in my list of "add or remove programs" ???

I didn't see anything associated with BAT either... and I have a BAT delete file I use all the time...

hmmmm...

almost sounds like it's a file that M$ doesn't really use except to take up room on the hdd... Roll Eyes

hey maybe that's a good thing to do after I get switched over to my (new) used optiplex... delete all the extensions in there and see what happens when I try to start the programs...

then we'll know if it's needed or just a "back door" the gov is using???   Shocked

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 3:38am

@
NightOwl

I looked at another two WinXP computers. No BAT in File Types.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 8:23am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Sep 28th, 2013 at 4:56pm:
I looked at two of my WinXP OS. Neither have BAT in the File Types tab list. Batch files work fine.

Hey Brian, thanks for looking at your systems.

How about your Win7 and Win8 systems--similar?

Brian wrote on Sep 29th, 2013 at 3:38am:
I looked at another two WinXP computers. No BAT in File Types. 

Are the systems able to run BAT files okay?

Are any of your systems new installs without updates or updates to sp1, sp2, or sp3?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 9:42am

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Sep 28th, 2013 at 10:16pm:
I didn't see anything associated with BAT either... and I have a BAT delete file I use all the time... 

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm going from long ago memory (dangerous), but I'm sure it used to show up in the list.  Maybe not though!  The main reason I looked, some time ago, was that loss of the BAT file functionality.  I know I added it back, and it was listed when you brought up the Folder Options--at least for awhile when I was trying to fix the problem, but it's gone from the list again now, but the functionality has remained!

Maybe it was a Microsoft Update, or happened when installing sp1, sp2, or sp3?

That ADD button under the reg file types window... does it allow you to add one??

...and if it allows a file name and extension to be added, how would one add what NightOwl is missing??

Yes, it allows you to add one.  When you are on the *File Types* tab, click the *New* button.  Type in the *BAT* in the File Extension box, and then click the *Advance* button.  That brings up the Associated File Type box with the default listing of MS-DOS Batch File.  Click the OK button and you are back at the File Type tab and BAT is added to the list.

You can then click the Advanced button on that tab and it brings up the dialog screen where you can edit or change the default behaviors of that file association--see the screen shot below.

But, as soon as you close out the File Options dialog, and then re-open it, the BAT extension is no longer listed...again!  The good news is that the Default action is remembered even though that BAT extension is no longer included in the File Type list.

almost sounds like it's a file that M$ doesn't really use except to take up room on the hdd...

hey maybe that's a good thing to do after I get switched over to my (new) used optiplex... delete all the extensions in there and see what happens when I try to start the programs...

When you click on a file with an extension associated with that program, you will get an error box saying that Windows can not find a program that will run that file type.  It gives you the option of selecting a program to run that file (it gives you a list, and the option to Browse to select a program), and you can select to have Windows remember that selection (i.e. it puts the extension in the File Type list with the associated *action*--usually *Open*--but you can edit the actions in the Advanced settings box where you can select a Default action and add or subtract other actions that are added to the right mouse click menu when you are right clicking on that file).

I have changed the Default action of the BAT file association from Open to Edit--so I can not accidentally click on the BAT file and have something happen I did not intend at the moment.  I have to right click the file, and select Open to have the BAT file run, otherwise the BAT file opens in Notepad.

I've also made a similar change to the REG (registry file) extension--changed the Default from Merge to Edit so I don't accidentally make changes to the registry if I click on a REG file which is designed to add or subtract Registry entries.  (I think Windows now requires a Confirmation when you use a Merge of a REG file--so it doesn't *just happen*--you have to click Yes--but it used to just do the action without notice!)

then we'll know if it's needed or just a "back door" the gov is using???

Hmmmm....conspiracy theories  Wink .   I suspect the NSA (and other spy and hacker types--China, Anonymous, etc.), even though it hasn't been *revealed* as yet, probably can hack into whatever system they would like!  I think I saw a news item where Russian's Putin has gone back to using typewriters instead of computers to create sensitive documents.  Yikes!!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 3:30pm

@
NightOwl

All four computers had WinXP SP3. Batch files worked fine.

Win7 and Win8 don't have a Files Type tab. You have to go to Control Panel and launch the Default Programs tool, then click the link for "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

In both OS, .bat is present in the list. The Description is "Windows Batch File" and the  Current Default is "Unknown application". There is a "Change program" button where you can "Choose the program you want to use to open this file". I made no changes as batch files work fine.

Out of interest, the following file types also had a Current Default of "Unknown application". There were about 350 file types in the Win8 "Unknown application" list.

.cmd
.com
.dll
.lnk
.swf
.sys
.vxd

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:23am

@
Brian

Thanks for the updated information.

Quote:
Win7 and Win8 don't have a Files Type tab.

Well, of course they don't!  Don't want the OS settings to remain in a unified, consistent location that was used on previous versions of the OS--it would look like you didn't get your money's worth if you could still find everything where is used to be!

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 1:49am

Quote:
Well, of course they don't!  Don't want the OS settings to remain in a unified, consistent location that was used on previous versions of the OS--it would look like you didn't get your money's worth if you could still find everything where is used to be!

... Undecided ... Grin ...

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print