Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Awfully Quiet Around Here! (Read 12655 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Awfully Quiet Around Here!
Mar 1st, 2014 at 11:36am

To all

It's been real quiet on the forums for the last month or so! 

I thought it might be the Winter Olympic was distracting everyone's attention--but the lack of activity continues.......

This started after the forum website was hacked in late January, 2014--(although things have been slowing for months now)--is that what's keeping folks away?

Or is this the downturn in popularity of desktop PCs and laptop use--is everyone switching their attention to smaller handheld devices?

Or, the poor reception of Win8 which also seems to be depressing the new PC computer sales.

Of course, Symantec's discontinuation of the retail Ghost products may have something to do with it.  Still looks like Symantec has abandoned the Ghost Solution Suite as well:

Ghost has been Discontinued by Symantec!

When will come new Version of Ghost - GSS 3.0?

The comments in this last link suggest that Symantec is no longer supporting a staff to work on Ghost Solution Suite--the last version appears to be v2.5 and it is now 2+ years since any updates?  Looks like Symantec may have helped a few individuals on a case by case basis--but, no ongoing general support!

The apparent replacement is Symantec System Recovery Desktop Edition

Not cheap:  Pricing Info

and there are multiple *editions*:

--Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition
--Symantec System Recovery 2013 Small Business Server Edition
--Symantec System Recovery 2013 Server Edition
--Symantec System Recovery 2013 Virtual Edition
--Symantec System Recovery 2013 Linux Edition

Looks complicated and not geared to the small retail user community!

Well, there's still TeraBytes Image and Partitioning (BootIt Bare Metal) programs, and we have a forum member, Brian, who is a premiere resource for all things TeraByte.

Looks like we are becoming increasingly less relevant to the use of imaging programs--darn it anyway........

What's everyone doing out there?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here!
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 4:29pm

I too have noticed the dwindling traffic on RADIFIED but it's not only here. Over at Windows BBS, traffic is a fraction of what it was a year or two ago. I myself am not as active as I have been on neither site but I think that Windows BBS has taken a bigger hit, probably because it was bigger when it peaked.

I have the feeling that RADIFIED is based on a few regulars who have "brought business" to the site by trying to solve other peoples problems. Maybe they've been too good at it ... Roll Eyes ... ?

Personally, I like "cold imaging" and stayed with Ghost 2003 on Windows 7 because I, with the help of this forum, made it work. Maybe it's time to learn how to spell ... Huh ... "Terabyte"!

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 11:36pm

nigel had a theory that any forum has a designated life span and that 10 years was a long time for any forum.

the hack was obvious a cautionary thing. especially since the hacker seemed to be looking for traffic stats and nobody wants to be part of a hacker's stat.
in time, that info will fade.

http://mt5.radified.com/blog/

but check this out .. right now it is 10 pm saturday nite and there are 172 guests here. who are they? what are they doing here?

oscars tomorrow. any favorites?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 11:11am

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Mar 1st, 2014 at 4:29pm:
Over at Windows BBS, traffic is a fraction of what it was a year or two ago.

Thanks for that observation--that may support my thought that maybe the use of Desktop and Laptop PC's may be on a decline--at least for now--in favor or smaller handheld devices--with less emphasis on backing up data locally--more *cloud* based apps, etc.

@
Rad

Rad wrote on Mar 1st, 2014 at 11:36pm:
nigel had a theory that any forum has a designated life span and that 10 years was a long time for any forum.

Interesting comment and observation!

Rad wrote on Mar 1st, 2014 at 11:36pm:
but check this out .. right now it is 10 pm saturday nite and there are 172 guests here. who are they? what are they doing here?

Yes, I keep looking at those stats and am amazed at the number of guests per day--it gets up to the 500 to 700 most days!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 11:31am

Well, one more indicator that the whole PC industry is slowing down:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/computer-hardware/get-real-idc-pc-sales-will-plummet-...

Hey Brian--if you are watching things here--how about the other forums where you frequent?  Are you seeing a slow down?

I know you frequent the Symantec forum:  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Ghost/bd-p/Norton_Ghost

And I suspect you are at the TeraByte forum too--do you have a link for that?  Web based or news reader based--I can't remember how that one is set up?

I found this:  http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/

But, I don't see anything obvious with your name--do you participate there, or is there any other forum(s) elsewhere?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 3:25pm

@
NightOwl

The Symantec Ghost forum has become quiet since SSR 2013 was released. I haven't joined the latter forum. Regarding the TeraByte forum, I'm there and it is very informative. Even the TeraByte developer participates.

The most active forums I frequent are...

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

This forum has been getting quieter for years and I thought it coincided with adding the FAQs. People could get an answer without posting. But maybe that is coincidental. When I joined, this forum specialized in DOS Ghost. That isn't used much these days and so many image/restore apps have taken its place. Many have their own forums.

Several years ago Acronis True Image was a popular topic in the Wilders forums. It had such a bad name that Acronis started their own forum. Mainly I think so Acronis could delete unfavorable posts. I don't visit that forum anymore.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 5:19pm

@
Brian

Thanks for the feedback.  I did look around the TeraByte forum and finally found your posts in some of the threads--when I first looked--I wasn't finding any--but just did a quick survey before posting my original comments.

Do you think the TeraByte posting frequency is going up, down, or staying steady?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2014 at 12:52am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 8th, 2014 at 5:19pm:
Do you think the TeraByte posting frequency is going up, down, or staying steady?

Staying steady.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2014 at 7:49pm

Well I'm back! I have not posted since "Last Post:
15. Jun 2009" it seems...LOL. It's good to see this great bunch of folks are still around and helping those in need. not sure why I was away so long. got alot of catching up to do.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print