Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 or something better for Windows 7 & 8? (Read 47270 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 2003 or something better for Windows 7 & 8?
Reply #15 - May 7th, 2015 at 5:16pm

@
OldCasper

OldCasper wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 9:27am:
My new Gigabyte mobo has two settings in the bios....one is for Windows 8 and the only other option is simply "Other OS".

Almost the same here. I see Windows UEFI and Other OS. The Windows UEFI setting is to enable Secure Boot if installing Win8 in UEFI mode. You can install and use Win8 with the "Other OS" setting but Secure Boot will be disabled. I used "Other OS" as I installed Win8 in Legacy MBR mode on my main computer. In my test computer I used Windows UEFI as I installed Win8 in UEFI mode. Despite these settings, when you boot the Win8 disk (for the install) you have to choose how the DVD will boot. Either UEFI or Legacy MBR.

OldCasper wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 9:27am:
when I try to do a clean install of XP, it goes to a certain point in the install and then does a BSOD.

That's because you are missing AHCI drivers. You can slipstream these drivers into your CD and you will be able to install WinXP.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-xp-sata.htm

To determine if you have installed Win8.1 in UEFI or Legacy MBR mode have a look in Disk Management. What partitions are present on your boot drive?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2015 at 7:21pm

Brian wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 7:37pm:
I'm interested to know if Ghost 11.5 will successfully restore an image of Win8.1 installed in UEFI mode to a new, empty HD.

I did the test. Ghost 11.5 can't do this.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #17 - May 11th, 2015 at 9:15am

I guess you're just better than me. Because,  You got Ghost to fail, and I've never been able to do that.
Congratulations!  (actually, Ghost WILL fail if there are errors on the HD.  Usually a CHKDSK /f /r will take care of that)

I don't remember you saying that you used Ghost 11.5, booted in DOS from a CD or Flash Drive.*

* That's the only way I run Ghost 11.5.  That takes Windows totally out of the equation.

If you're not using the same version of Ghost that I use, I have no idea what kind of results you might get.**

** I began using Ghost, the original version, back in 1997, when I worked in a little PC repair shop.
We used it primarily for cloning small hard drives to bigger hard drives.
My boss would download a 30 day trail of the program and every month he'd get a new download.
I found the program SO easy to use and I just fell in love with it.
Many years and many new OS's later, I'm still loving it.  And, it still works.

A belated "Happy Mother's Day"

Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - May 11th, 2015 at 3:14pm

@
OldCasper

I suspect you aren't using Win8 installed in UEFI mode. That's why I asked you to let us know what's in Disk Management. All brand name computers sold with Win8 have the OS installed in UEFI mode with Secure Boot enabled. If you install Win8 yourself then you can install it in UEFI or Legacy MBR mode. Ghost 11.5 only works with Win8 installed in Legacy MBR mode. The latest Ghost, GSS3, does work with OS installed in UEFI mode. But GSS3 no longer has a DOS executable. You must use ghost64.exe (or ghost32.exe) from a WinPE.

Installing Win8 in UEFI mode creates these four partitions....

EFI System
Recovery
Microsoft Reserved
Win8

(Microsoft Reserved partition doesn't show in Disk Management)

I used Ghost 11.5 on a DOS USB flash drive. It isn't compatible with Win8 installed in UEFI mode because it can't see the Recovery or the Microsoft Reserved partitions. You can create and restore an entire disk image but the restored OS won't boot because two partitions are missing.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2015 at 10:21am

EaseUS Partition Manager, tells me that drive #1 is "MBR".
But I've had no reason to even be concerned about that before, and I'm still not.

Sorry, I never did find 'Disk Management'. ???

I run my old XP computer in all FAT-32 mode and contrary to some self-proclaimed experts, XP runs great on a FAT-32 hard drive.

And Ghost 2003 or 11.5 makes a great Defrag program for my XP drive(s)
I just do a Partition to Image backup followed immediately by a Partition From Image (Restore) and the HD is re-written in perfect order with no spaces between files and of course, NO Fragmentation.

Cheers Mate!
Casper Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - May 12th, 2015 at 3:35pm

@
OldCasper

OldCasper wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 10:21am:
EaseUS Partition Manager, tells me that drive #1 is "MBR".

I prefer to install my OS in MBR mode too. But among Win8 users we are in a very small minority.

Some of the UEFI/BIOS computers being sold now won't boot a DOS disk. I have three of them.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #21 - May 13th, 2015 at 2:47am

A sidenote:

Quote:
I just do a Partition to Image backup followed immediately by a Partition From Image (Restore) and the HD is re-written in perfect order with no spaces between files and of course, NO Fragmentation.

I assume that you never use the Windows 7 defragmenter. When I restore an image (Ghost 2003) and run the Windows 7 defragmenter, it takes a while for it to rearrange the files. Maybe, after restoring an image, there is no fragmentation but the disk/partition is not "optimized"?

When I use the Auslogics Disk Defrag, immediately after an image restore, it is much quicker and it seems to have a different opininion on "optimized".

Maybe a new topic ... Undecided ...

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #22 - May 31st, 2015 at 2:16pm

I do test a LOT of software, and after a test run of the Auslogic's Defrag, I looked at the HD with the Defrag program in Win-XP and 'What a God awful mess' !!!   There were files scattered from one end of the partition to the other, and spaces all over the place.  That just invites more fragmentation.
I had to use Ghost, running a backup + restore to get things back together again.

No more Auslogic programs for this old tech.

Update:
I'm testing Windows 10, in every new build since 9926, and I've used Ghost 11.5 to back up each build before installing the next build.  It works great!

Cool

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 8:55am

All Windows 10 Beta Testing is DONE, and it's now a working OS. Roll Eyes
And most of us have now made the decision to keep it or dump it.

But regardless of my own decision, I still use my old reliable Ghost 11.5, on a DOS boot disk, to backup (& restore) all versions of Windows.  It's now ten years old.

A tool that works, should not be discarded just because it's old.  I still have and use hand tools that are older than I. (and I'm 72 years old)

Y'all have a really great day now, Y'hear?

Casper  Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 12:50am

The upgrade to Ghost 11.5, Ghost 12 (Symantec Solution Suite 3.0) has been released. It is compatible with Legacy and UEFI BIOS. There is no longer a DOS boot disk, only WinPE.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #25 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 9:17am

I know this is an old topic now, but hey.....for those who have loved Ghost 2003 and even ran it from a 3.5" floppy disk (like I did) the upgrade is definitely Ghost 11.5 (DOS) which is too big to fit on a single floppy disk, but works just fine on a Flash Drive or CD.

I use it almost daily, and it DOES work great for backing up Windows 10, both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Cheers Mates!
Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 2:55pm

We've been through this several times. Ghost 11.5 (DOS) doesn't work with Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #27 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 7:50pm

Just out of curiosity, on this OLD thread, "why does Windows 10 have to be installed on a UEFI formatted HD? I've installed many permutations of W-10 and I don't think I ever specified that it should format the HD as UEFI.  It just installs itself, runs fine, and I never even look at the format.  And Ghost 11.5 will back it up.

Jus sayin'

Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print