Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
EaseUS Todo Backup Issues (Read 24558 times)
Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Re: EaseUS Todo Backup Issues
Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 4:57pm

I was totally unaware of Fast Startup in Win10.  Would you turn it off only for backup/restore operations and then turn it back on, or is it best to just leave it off permanently?  Does turning it off significantly affect startup time?  It seems odd Macrium Reflect Free is the first and only program with which I've had such problems.

Terabyte Image seems to have a lot of features I don't use according my search results.  I just got Acronis True Image WD Version and will be running some tests with it.  Thus far I've only measured its speed to backup and verify images.  It took just 8 minutes to create backup image for 30GB of data and just 2 minutes to verify same image.  This is more than twice as fast as EaseUS and nearly as fast as Macrium Reflect test results in my reply #12 above., and it does not reverse Drive0 and Drive1 as EaseUS sometimes does.  I'll let you know when I get more tests completed, but it has similar look and feel of Discwizard v11 that I used for several years until it became unbearably slow.  The only draw back I've found so far is it requires at least 1 Western Digital drive be attached to the system, but I have an external usb drive that's by Western Digital. 

Edit:  Does Win10 Fast Startup actually affect image/restore operations if the imaging program is run from boot media created by the program?  I always do backup/restore operations from the boot media and never from Windows.  I would think any Windows settings would have no effect unless the program were run from Windows.  Am I wrong about this, and can anybody explain how Fast Startup or any Windows setting can affect image/restore operations if the program is run from boot media and not from Windows?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 2:30pm

It's not just Macrium Reflect, all imaging/cloning utilities can run into the same problem with Windows 10. Which other utilities did you try with Win10 that worked better than Macrium Reflect?

Fast Startup is a sort of hibernation system, and by default most imaging/cloning utilities do not preserve the pagefile or hiberfile.

I'm not sure about the exact mechanics of how Fast Startup works, but I presume it's effectuated via the BCD and hiberfile. Thus, if you make an image that excludes the hiberfile it shouldn't be surprising that the system may crash when you try to boot that restored image.

When you boot a system that had been shut down with Fast Startup, it pulls stuff out of the hiberfile (and pagefile?) to repopulate RAM instead of rebuilding the RAM contents from scratch. That can save a bit of time, but most users are unaware how distinctly different this is from what you've come to expect from cold booting in the past. In essence, Windows isn't being fully shut down. In the past, you knew what to expect when you cold booted a computer, but Fast Startup skews that because it's not truly a cold boot anymore.

Incidentally, that's why you should be skeptical of boot time comparisons between Win10 and earlier versions. Often they compare the hibernated Fast Startup to a true cold boot of the earlier OS. It may seem like Win10 boots way faster, but if you compare a true cold boot of Win10 to Win7 it's only slightly faster (if at all--I don't boot my Win10 that often, so when I do it's always doing some update or other that slows the boot process way down).

By disabling Fast Startup you force Win10 to completely shut down and start with a true cold boot the next time the computer is turned on.

BTW, I believe Fast Startup comes into play only when you "Shut down" the computer. My understanding is it does not come into play if you choose "Restart" instead of "Shut down". Thus, I think you can expect different results if you "Restart" to boot your imaging boot media vs. "Shut down" and powering back on. I haven't confirmed that because I leave Fast Startup disabled on my system, but that would be my assumption.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 3:22pm

EaseUS Todo Backup never presented the fail to boot restored Win10 image like Macrium Reflect did even with Fast Startup enabled.  Ditto for Seagate Discwizard v11.  However, EaseUS does occasionally reverse Disk0 and Disk1 when run from boot media on 1 PC but not on another similar PC, but Macrium Reflect is faster.  Discwizard vll never produced the reversed Disk0 and Disk1 problem, but it has become many times slower than EaseUS, unacceptably slow.  Acronis True Image WD Edition is very close in speed to Macrium Reflect and has not yet produced the reversed Disk0 and Disk1 problem.

I suppose I should try running Win10 with Fast Startup disabled since I can simply turn it on again if startup is too slow.  If startup is too slow with it disabled, I could run Win10 with it enabled and disable it only when doing backup/restore operations. 

I'm going to do more testing with Acronis True Image WD Edition to see how it does and might give Macrium Reflect another go with Fast Startup disabled for backup/restore.  It may be interesting to see how these 2 programs compare, especially regarding reliability because there seems to to very little difference in speed between them.

Edit:  Do you think Fast Startup might be the cause of the issues described at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1497744955 ?  Also I just remembered around 2 weeks ago I tried to use Macrium Reflect boot CD to image an old Dell 4550 desktop that's ide only, but the CD would fail to boot part way through the loading process resulting in lines all over the screen and freezing there.  This boot CD was created using the PE download recommended for Win10 to build the ISO to make the boot CD.  Would the PE download recommended for WinXP be a better choice for older systems, and would such boot media possibly boot normally on the old Dell PC?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print