Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 15 history update (Read 7775 times)
chameau
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Australia

Ghost 15 history update
Jan 21st, 2017 at 5:22am

Hi all,
Its been a long time since I visited this forum, but it appears to be still operating? I think?
I have been using Ghost since 2004 (Ghost 2003 and Ghost 15) and I'm generally happy with the way it works. I still use Windows XP sp3 (dual-boot with Linux Mint 17)
I recently had to change over the external hard drive I backup too because it was old and getting full. (the new one is a Toshiba 1 TB USB3.0 drive). I transferred all the content (minus 'System Volume Information' and 'recycler') to the new drive by connecting them both to a USB port and simply transferring from within 'Windows Explorer'
When it was done (about 8 hours later!), I disconnect the old drive and then changed the 'Drive Letter' and 'Label' of the new drive to be exactly the same as the old drive was.
The problem I have is that since that, Ghost can NO LONGER ACCESS the old backups from within windows? The backups show as 'Unavailable' or 'Missing' I can still explore them (using 'Run Recovery Point Browser') but I can not do anything with them from within windows. However, If I boot of the CD, I can see them and I could restore them if needed - so it's not critical, but I would like to fix it anyway. I did a lot of google search and read a lot of posts and from what I read, I should have transferred the backups from within Ghost (using 'Copy Recovery Point').
There seems to be no way from within the Ghost interface to re-point Ghost to the old backups? I even looked at the Ghost program files to see if there is a 'Preference' or 'Ini' files and in windows registry where I could edit some reference to the old drive, but I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure what to look for? Does anyone know what to edit to get Ghost to list the old backups again? It's just a reference somewhere in a file....
New backups that I done since connecting the new drive show up ok - no problem and the USB3.0 makes it super fast!
Thanks for your help Smiley

Cheers&&Chameau

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 15 history update
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 5:27pm

@
chameau

Welcome back.

I have some bookmarks called "delete Ghost catalogue" but unfortunately they now show "Page not found". Old pages I'm afraid. Sorry, I can't help. In Ghost, can you access the images using Search by filename? Can you Mount the Ghost images in Windows Explorer?

By the way, what sort of speeds do you get with your new external HD. I didn't think WinXP supported USB3.

Code:
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005506.html 

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 8:53am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 5:27pm:
I have some bookmarks called "delete Ghost catalogue" but unfortunately they now show "Page not found". Old pages I'm afraid. Sorry, I can't help.

Ya never know 'til you try, but I have found the WayBack Machine can be helpful when a company has pulled it's knowledge base articles from public availability.

With Symantec, sometimes their Update Files for Ghost are still on their servers, but you have to know how to access the information with a specific server address.

Maybe if you show those old links, we could see if the WayBack option has anything--or maybe something can be found by direct access to the old Ghost files at Symantec.

Sometime, they scrub their servers and nothing comes of it!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

chameau
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 11:26am

Thanks for tying Brian.
During my extensive trawling of the internet, I came across a post that did talk about re-naming or deleting the catalogue (in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\FileBackup") and then doing something in the restore section of Ghost to re-create the catalogue, etc... but I'm pretty sure it was in relation to 'File & Folder' backups not 'Full Images' backup (all my backups are "One Time Backup" of entire partitions) Anyway I looked, but that folder 'FileBackup' is empty?

Brian wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 5:27pm:
By the way, what sort of speeds do you get with your new external HD. I didn't think WinXP supported USB3.

As for USB3 transfer in XP, my motherboard (Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3) has an 'Etron' USB3 chip not an Intel maybe that's the difference? it definitely twice as fast as if I plug it into a USB2 port. as an example, I took 4 minutes to do a backup of 14.5GB C drive.  Cool

Cheers&&Chameau

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 1:27pm

@
NightOwl

Code:
https://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-12-0-Hangs-at-5-when-creating-recovery-point/m-p/88411/highlight/true#M9803

https://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-15-how-to-delete-folder-backups/td-p/912261

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print