"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Image For Windows
Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:08am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:01am:
Out of interest, how long did Ghost take to create an image?

Is this an *apples vs oranges* comparison?  Mr. Moose, I think, has been doing Windows *hot* imaging using Ghost 15.  His recent imaging was TeraByte's Image for DOS.  I forget--can one do offline *cold* imaging with Ghost 15.  Vague memory is saying *probably yes*, but I can't remember for sure.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:11am

@
Mr Moose

Good to see your progress report.

It had been awhile since your last report, and I was afraid we had *scarred* you off with our somewhat off topic banter!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #17 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:19am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jul 9th, 2017 at 2:39am:
In my case I'm using metadata backup/restores on my test computer and classic backup/restores on my main computer

Ah, good to hear!  Defensive computing!  Experimenting on *test computer* only!

The average image software user needs to know that!

Brian wrote on Jul 8th, 2017 at 6:23pm:
Macrium Reflect has been doing metadata imaging for a few years and I haven't read of any complaints.

Is using *metadata imaging* an option, or is it the only way Macrium Reflect works? 

Is there any disclaimer by Macrium about possible image restore corruption similar to TeraByte's?

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #18 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:54am

Brian wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:01am:
Bill, good news. It works as expected. Out of interest, how long did Ghost take to create an image?

When I made the partition on the internal drive for my last Ghost backup, I think it did take longer, but I wasn't really paying much attention.
When I used USB and had it verify the backup, it took over 3 hours. (That was the mistake I made, where Ghost wrote the image to the wrong location)

Bill. 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 4:18pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:19am:
Is using *metadata imaging* an option, or is it the only way Macrium Reflect works?

Is there any disclaimer by Macrium about possible image restore corruption similar to TeraByte's?

Sorry, I've no experience with Macrium's "fast hourly incrementals" but I do know you can perform conventional and "Rapid" restores. I've never seen a post mentioning potential problems with the fast incrementals and I haven't seen any posts mentioning issues with these backups or restores. The Macrium users love the fast features.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 4:23pm

@
Mr Moose

Bill, at your leisure you could practice the restore procedure. Don't do a restore, abort on the last screen.

Reply #61 in the other thread.

I wouldn't bother using the USB interface for a backup as it will be slow.

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:03pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:19am:
@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jul 9th, 2017 at 2:39am:
In my case I'm using metadata backup/restores on my test computer and classic backup/restores on my main computer

Ah, good to hear!  Defensive computing!  Experimenting on *test computer* only!

The average image software user needs to know that!

I had a hot discussion with Brian last year (see reply #10 in thread http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1478986800/0) and it was clear that Brian and I have a different view on backup strategies.

Now, finally, Brian revealed that he continues on using a classic backup for the production computer, even if in several posts I see he push for metadata methodology...

@
Brian,

With your advices/recommendations,  I guess you often does not keep into the right consideration the knowledge level of people asking for help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:43pm

@
mariella

mariella wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
Now, finally, Brian revealed that he continues on using a classic backup for the production computer, 

I'm running parallel backups in my main computer, classic and metadata. I'm restoring both as tests but the classic ones are the primary backups. In my test computer I don't create classic image backups. Metadata only. All backups are automated so it doesn't consume any of my time. I think metadata backups will be found to be safe and reliable; time will tell. I haven't suggested newcomers to imaging use metadata backups.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 6:54pm

@
NightOwl

I asked questions of some keen Macrium users. Macrium only creates metadata backups and the default restore is metadata. However you have the choice of a classic restore if desired. They felt TeraByte was being over-cautious in its approach to metadata imaging. Perhaps this is reasonable as TeraByte introduced metadata imaging a few months ago and Macrium has been using metadata imaging for a few years. No-one recalls Macrium having a metadata warning similar to TeraByte's.

Edit... Say you have a TeraByte metadata differential backup image. If you are concerned there is an issue with a metadata restore you can do a classic non metadata restore. If you are still concerned with the restore you can restore the Full backup image. The Full backup image is a classic image. Not based on metadata.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #24 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:00pm

Brian wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 4:23pm:
@
Mr Moose

Bill, at your leisure you could practice the restore procedure. Don't do a restore, abort on the last screen.

Reply #61 in the other thread.

I wouldn't bother using the USB interface for a backup as it will be slow.

Brian,

I need to test the backup image, but I don't have extra ssd to do a test on.
I have a spare HDD (500GB) that I could try to recover the image that I made with IFD.
If that works (and it should) Can I assume that it would work with a ssd?
Or do I really need to try recovering to a ssd to be sure?
Now I still have my Samsung 840 256GB that I started with (that's almost full) But I really would like to save that as a master copy.
I'm a little pessimistic about backup images, with Ghost, I always tested my first image, just be be sure.
Can the validate feature in IFD give me the peace of mind that I'm looking for?

Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:21pm

Bill,

Mr Moose wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:00pm:
Can the validate feature in IFD give me the peace of mind that I'm looking for?

Yes. If it Validates it will Restore. I wouldn't bother restoring the image as I know it will restore to a SSD or a HD. But if you have a spare HD and you would like to do it, go ahead.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #26 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:34pm

Thanks Brian, that's what I wanted to hear.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:48pm

Bill, to satisfy my curiosity, how often would you create an image? There is no correct answer.

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 6:06am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
@
mariella

In my test computer I don't create classic image backups. Metadata only. All backups are automated so it doesn't consume any of my time.

Continuing our different view on what, commonly and really, a
backup
is...and, in fact :
  • I'm almost sure that realatively few people knows and practices the "
    good
    " idea/concept of a "test computer"
  • Even if, theorically, a backup of a test computer is always a
    backup
    (also from the meaning viewpoint), it is far away from the real need called by a production computer backup
  • generally speaking,
    backup is a serious concept
    , which has nothing to do with shortening test/experimenting procedures

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 10:40pm

Brian wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:48pm:
Bill, to satisfy my curiosity, how often would you create an image? There is no correct answer.

Once a month, before Windows Up Date.
I will hold on to the first image that I make with IFD, but after that, I will delete them as I go.
I also will save the old smaller ssd.

Bill.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print