Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BootIt UEFI (Read 8778 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

BootIt UEFI
Jun 26th, 2018 at 8:40pm

Finally we have an excellent Boot Manager for OS on GPT disks.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgradehist-bootit-uefi.htm

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-uefi.htm

Unlike BootIt Bare Metal, BIU is not installed to a dedicated partition. It is installed to the EFI System partition. The desktop GUI is identical to BIBM.

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Re: BootIt UEFI
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:15pm

Thanks Brian.
I bought it as soon as I knew about its availability, just to complete the Terabyte suite collection and thinking for the next future use.

I could start using it on a notebook (used for testing),
where BIBM is already installed
, so my question is about if BootIt UEFI can be installed on an external USB HDD.

Have you any experience about the above condition and related recommendations  ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:30pm

@
mariella

BIU and BIBM are quite separate applications. When you buy BootIt you get both applications.

BIBM is for MBR/Legacy systems. BIU is for UEFI/GPT systems. As you know, BIBM has its own partition. BIU doesn't have its own partition. It is installed into the EFI System partition so can't be on an external drive. Booting files for each OS are stored in the EFI System partition. For each Linux OS this uses about 3 MB but each Windows OS uses about 25 MB. As the EFI System Partition is 100 MB you will have to resize the partition larger if you plan on having more than three Windows OS.

BIU can be installed on a disk that already contains an OS or it can be installed to a blank disk. If installed to a blank disk, two partitions will be created...

Microsoft Reserved 128 MB
EFI System 400 MB

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 1:18pm

@
Brian

thanks even if I don't understand your statement "It is installed into the EFI System partition
so can't be on an external drive
", since I've seen some reports saying that it can be done, without any warranty about its functionality.

Could you please better clarify your statement?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:00pm

@
mariella

Apologies, that was badly worded. I meant BIU can only be installed to an internal drive.

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:12pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:00pm:
@
mariella
Apologies, that was badly worded.

Ah! Now it's more clear.

Brian wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:00pm:
@
mariella
I meant BIU can only be installed to an internal drive.

Is it per design ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:55pm

@
mariella

Yes, by design.

In early testing I had issues installing another Win10 to HD0 on a system with ESPs on other drives. The Microsoft installer created extra ESPs and Recovery partitions on HD0 and then said “Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32 and restart the installation”. It is not a BIU issue as it occurs on systems without BIU. The only fix is to temporarily delete the non HD0 ESPs until the Win10 install has completed. I now run with only one ESP. That ESP can manage OS on all drives.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print