Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NTFS v FAT32 on Windows XP (Read 3669 times)
sean377
Ex Member

NTFS v FAT32 on Windows XP
Oct 31st, 2001 at 4:31pm

Hi Rad

Just sorting through my old favourites and stumbled across your site for the first time in...ohhh...months...nee...years.

Anyhow, after much article reading, I stumbled across your forums. So here goes...

Having just migrated to XP from ME, I would welcome your thoughts on the following:

1. I currently have an IBM22GXP 9.1GB Drive partitioned 75%/25% both FAT32. Would changing to NTFS make any perceivable difference?

2. Soon adding a 60GB 60GXP. I intend to partition 3 x 20GB. C: for XP, D: for programs (Office/Games/etc.), E: for backup files. Does this sound reasonable? NTFS or FAT32?

3. Should I keep applications on the C: drive rather than D:?

4. Should I keep the 9GB drive in the PC or 'pass it on' ?

It's my first experience with an NT based OS, having used win 9x exclusively since win95. I never did get round to dual booting, even though I have had NT4 for years but never got round to installing it. I don't see the need to dual boot now I'm on XP and my initial XPeriences [sic] are positive. Would you agree?

Finally, I realise you set this discussion area up as a learning process to yourself, but I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

PS - another old bookmark from 'back then' was cusl2.com but it seems defunct now!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: NTFS v FAT32 on Windows XP
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2001 at 9:12pm

Years? shame on you.

1. I've never used NTFS, so I'm reluctant to comment. I doubt any perf diffs will be noticeable. Seems that NTFS performs better with some drives under certain conditions, while FAT32 does better with others.

NTFS gives you security that the average home user doesn't need. If your PC is in an office where others might pry, then NTFS is better.

I like FAT32 cuz it allows me to access all partitions/drives for *any* OS (I have WME, W2K & WXPRC2 currently installed).

If you plane to use *only* W2K and/or WXP, I would go with NTFS (cuz it's cooler).

2. 20/20/20 sounds good. (see above). If only 1 drive, maybe even 4x15. I put some of my thoughts on partitioning here:
http://partition.radified.com/

3. I would .. it makes imaging less complicated (but no games).

4. I would. It will do good for imaging, which goes twice as fast to another/separate drive.

If you have WME still on the old drive, I would leave it there until I knew FOR SURE that XP was working for me.

Actually I was surprised to see that the dang thing worked. I read a lot of posts at the yabb forums about ppl having all kinds of trouble.

I don't like that there is a pronounced delay (for me) accessing the forums. I was going to try some things, but when I asked about it (yabb forums), I was advised, "If they work, don't touch a thing!" Smiley

cusl2.com is now here:
http://www.asusboards.com/vbulletin/

Rad

IP Logged

tungsten

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2002 at 9:14am

just to clarify the performance issue...

NTFS, in addition to its added security features, includes much improved storage/handling of meta-data which offers some self-healing properties.  The only drawback of running an NTFS partition over a FAT partition besides the inability to access the drive from DOS based OSes (as you mention above) is a slight performance hit due to overhead of the added security.  However, most of this overhead can be avoided by addding the following registry REG_DWORD entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

You can copy/paste the above section into a new notepad document and save with the ".reg" extension and simply double-click it to install the key.

As for benefit, most don't believe that NTFS offers any at all, but I can attest that I have had quirky problems with FAT partitions that utilities reported as good, yet on conversion to NTFS (via command line convert driverleter: /FS:NTFS) as a last ditch effort before completely reformating/reinstalling, the problem disappeared (MS DevStudio not launching the debugger upon exception).  i have not seen or heard any professional experience or technical reason to conclude that FAT32 would "...work better for some drives" than NTFS.

anyway, food for thought.

-=dave

ps- luv your site - amazingly thorough compilation on the state of digital audio storage and compression.  i'm astonished that i had not run across it before.  as for digital audio compression,i would like to see more actual listening tests surrounding these debates.  with the buzz factor of digital audio compression so high right now, one would think people would be comping at the bit(s) Wink to radify (sorry Wink their claims.  alas, i have found only a dozen or so articles with thorough double-blind listening test results.  however, i just finished your guide.  hopefully going back over it to follow the links will uncover more double-blind test results.

pps-as an addition to the Jeff Johnson info on the last page of your digital audio guide, i would link to the originator of the actual project:

http://www.anders.com/projects/route66/

I have been on the route66 mailing list since the anders article was published in the now defunct Maximum Linux magazine and it is comming along slowly, but surely.  although it was originally devised for the car, it has become more of an appliance oriented project.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2002 at 10:18am

sweet post. thx for contributing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print