Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD) (Read 193107 times)
vince

Re: bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD)
Reply #45 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 8:08pm

I am using ghost 2002 and just got a computer w/o a floppy.  If I buy Ghost2003 will the installation cd boot to the same (or similar) program interface that I am used to with Ghost 2002?
Does Ghost need to be installed on the computer for this to work?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #46 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 1:22am

vince

By all reports, the stand alone Ghost 2003 CD is bootable--I think you can choose to load optical drive support, and USB or Firewire drivers--but it will be the DOS program that's similar to Ghost 2002 that loads.

For the bootable Ghost CD to boot and work, you do not have to have Ghost 2003 installed to Windows.  But until you install it to Windows, you will have none of the Windows Ghost features.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #47 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 3:13pm

IP Logged

vince

Reply #48 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 10:06pm

NightOwl wrote on Jun 22nd, 2005 at 1:22am:
vince

By all reports, the stand alone Ghost 2003 CD is bootable--I think you can choose to load optical drive support, and USB or Firewire drivers--but it will be the DOS program that's similar to Ghost 2002 that loads.

For the bootable Ghost CD to boot and work, you do not have to have Ghost 2003 installed to Windows.  But until you install it to Windows, you will have none of the Windows Ghost features.

IP Logged

vince

Reply #49 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 10:08pm

Sorry, my post above seemed to omit my comment.

By features, I assume you mean some extra features - the basic imaging and restore will still work without having Ghost installed to Windows, correct?

IP Logged

vince

Reply #50 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 10:12pm

Rad,
thanks for the links.  I haven't read them yet.  Get to them soon.

By the way, I have successfully created a Ghost boot cd using Nero 5.5 in the "bootable cd" mode, (using my desktop computer which has a floppy drive) and it creates a boot image by extracting it from the Ghost floppy.  This disk works fine on my laptop which has no floppy drive.  

IP Logged

Hans

Reply #51 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:18pm

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having fits with this scenario.

Our setup is a Windows 2003 server housing the Ghost images, and we boot with a Ghost network floppy, and connect to the server via NET USE.

At one point in the process, something writes back to the diskette. This obviously is a problem for CDs.

I've been successful at making a bootable CD with floppy emulation, but the problem still exists with one of the processes wanting to write a file to the disk. I've tried copying all the \NET files to a ramdisk, but it still tries to write a file back to the CD *unless* it's on the machine that I last connected to with the floppy before making the boot image.

Ideas? Help?

IP Logged

Hans

Reply #52 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:41pm

FWIW, I've verified that the file that gets written back to the disk is called DHCP.

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 2:54pm

OK, as far as I can tell.... even if we can make boot cds to our hearts content, they won't come with networking, is that correct?

I'm pushing 160 gigs of data to 22 computers, five of which have fried floppy drives which really puts a damper on their connectivity to the multicast server.

If I can possibly avoid it, I'd like to escape taking all 5 apart and giving them new floppies. From what I read... it sounded like the bootable Cd's had to have the image actually on the cd... which I can't swing considering the size of my image...  Is there ANY way around??

IP Logged

Bryan Dunham

Reply #54 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 2:31pm

I have made a bootable ghost cd that supports a usb hard drive and keep the images on it. The only problem I have came accross is that there is one computer at my plant that is all usb no ps/2 connects and I can't get the keyboard or mouse to work.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #55 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 10:45pm

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #56 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 10:49pm

Bryan Dunham

Some have found that if you use the Ghost Boot Wizard for the Standard Ghost boot disk--on the first *options* page--select *Peer-to-Peer Options*, select *USB Support*--has allowed USB mice and keyboards to function in DOS.

IP Logged

PCdoode

Reply #57 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 4:13am

The problem w/ these new PCs that don't have FDDs is that they don't even have the option of booting to one.  Also, I think if you use FDD emulation when you make your boot CD that doesn't work either, since the newer PCs don't support booting from FDDs at all; wether an actual or an emulated floppy.

This totally sucks!!!!

IP Logged

photontech

Reply #58 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 8:55pm

I just solved this by taking a Win 98 startup floppy, Stripping out any lines in autoexec.bat pertaining to 98 (load win 98 disk 2 for example). I then took a 2 floppies and ran the Ghost Network Boot Disk Wizard. There are 5 0r 6 grouped lines pertaing to netbind and mouse.com in the ghost autoexec file that needs to be copied and pasted into the autoexec on the 98 startup disk. Next you need to make the last line in the 98 autoexec read "ghost.exe"
  On the startup disk itself strip out any unnecessary files (ex: Fdisk).
Now copy the mouse.com and mouse.ini from the ghost boot disk to your 98 disk. If you need usb mouse support edit the mouse.ini adding "mouse=usb" to it.
   Copy the lines in the ghost config.sys to the 98 config.sys and copy the "net" folder from the ghost disk to the 98 startup disk.
   Use Roxio to " make a bootable cd from a floppy" function and once created append the cd by adding ghost.exe from the Ghost folder on floppy #2 from your ghost boot disk set. Once the disk is finished burning pop it in your cd drive, reboot and you go directly into the Ghost interface after the disk runs. I used Ghost V8.2 but I am sure it will work w/ 7.5. Once this works you can start playing with the 98 startup disk to remove more than I have said to makr bootup faster. I can supply screen shots if requested.

IP Logged

ffx-123

Reply #59 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 11:53am

Newbie to this website and I have a question about Ghost.  Have anyone try making a bootable ghost cd with NIC auto detect?   ???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print