Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD) (Read 192665 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD)
Reply #75 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 8:56pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Fortunately, we have many outstanding contributors.

IP Logged

otmakus
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 1:32pm

Will anyone please show me where to download an iso for the finished bootable CD with ghost.exe 2003 inside? That would save a whole lot of work for us newbies. I've found torrent for one (http://www.isohunt.com/torrents/norton+ghost?ihs1=11&iho1=d&iht=-1&ihp=1) but it only has version 8.3 inside, which doesn't work for NTFS partitions.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #77 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 1:12am

otmakus

Quote:
Will anyone please show me where to download an iso for the finished bootable CD with ghost.exe 2003 inside? That would save a whole lot of work for us newbies.

Unfortunately, Ghost 2003 is copyrighted software which has not been made freely available--what you're asking would be the distribution of *pirated* software--which we here at Radified do not practice--sorry!

Quote:
but it only has version 8.3 inside, which doesn't work for NTFS partitions

Define what you mean by *version 8.3 doesn't work for NTFS partitions*--I'm pretty sure Ghost has worked fine with NTFS partitions since v 6.5--that version could only read from NTFS to create a backup image, but it could only save the image to FAT. Restoring was not an issue.   Since v7.5, Ghost could read and save to NTFS partitions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

otmakus
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 5:03am

Sorry, a little OOT here, what I mean is SATA drives with NTFS partitions, now that i think about it again, I've successfully made and restore images to and from NTFS partitions of IDE HDs, but I always have problems with SATA HD (SATA 2 specifically) when using Ghost 8.3, and I assume it's the software that doesn't support it, or am I wrong?

Just a few days ago i tried to make an image of a system partition from a SATA 2 HD and save it to another partition of the same HD, and Ghost just couldn't recognize the HD. I assume again that newer version of Ghost can do it, but I'm not sure, can anyone confirm it for me?

If my assumption is wrong, then is the procedure of using Ghost different between IDE and SATA HD? I'm still looking around right now, so I apologize if this topic has already been discussed before.

Btw, thanks for the lightning fast response, I really didn't expect it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #79 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 8:18am

otmakus

Ghost working with SATA has been supported since the most recent builds of Ghost 2003, which would be the equivalent of Ghost v7.5 in the corporate version.

On some systems, you have to adjust the BIOS so SATA will work with a DOS based OS--the wording may be *combination* or *compatibility* mode.

Sometimes, you have to start Ghost with the *-fni* switch--apparently changes how Ghost talks to the HDD that is more compatible with SATA--but may be slower if you are attempting to access IDE HDD's:

ghost.exe -fni

Re: Bootable cd without floppy

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print