Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 Update (Read 115827 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Norton Ghost 2003 Update
Jan 23rd, 2004 at 6:02am

Symantec has upgraded Norton Ghost 2003.  After you run liveupdate go to your folder where Ghost is installed and read the readme.txt file to view the changes.

IP Logged

lars

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 Update
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 11:51am

Norton Ghost 2003 Update 3 - January 6 2004

Caution: Norton Ghost 2003 is a powerful utility program that performs complex operations on your computer. Use this product carefully as some operations are data destructive.

List of changes in Norton Ghost 2003 Update 3

Improved Disk Drive Overlay (DDO) support
-----------------------------------------
Support for users with Disk Drive Overlays has been improved in this release. If you are using Norton Ghost 2003 from a boot disk, and your hard drive came with a DDO loading disk, we still recommend that you use this to load the DDO before using Ghost.

Restoring NTFS images with very fragmented or compressed files
--------------------------------------------------------------
A fix is included for the problem of corrupted MFT when you  restore NTFS images with very fragmented or compressed files. This includes the -ntexact command-line switch. See Section 6, Additional switches.

Updated Linux boot loader support
---------------------------------
The Linux boot loader support has been updated to support newer versions of LILO, and to support GRUB.

Location of virtual partition
-----------------------------
The virtual partition cannot be located beyond the accessible section of the HD, which could prevent an older machine from starting the operating system in some cases.

IP Logged

Stoilkovic Dragana

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 10:05pm

texdawg wrote on Jan 23rd, 2004 at 6:02am:
Symantec has upgraded Norton Ghost 2003.  After you run liveupdate go to your folder where Ghost is installed and read the readme.txt file to view the changes.

IP Logged

Johan Arief

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 2:01am

Hi, everyone, do anybody know where can I download the update for this Norton Ghost 2003? Thanks b4.

Smiley

IP Logged

Sam

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 4:12am

Use Symantec Live Update.

IP Logged

Michael Thomsen

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 5:25am

And what do I do if the computer it is installed on is not connected to the internet?

//michael

IP Logged

Limey

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 5:49am

Install Ghost to a friend's computer who has an internet connection?

Write to Symantec and ask them to send you the update?

IP Logged

blinky
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 1:35pm

There's a better solution. You can download the updates for manual install by first installing the "luau.exe" tool--the administrative distribution utility--from Symantec. I found that I had to run it TWICE, but you can download the updates. I ended up with two stand-alone files:

ng2003b789_en.x86
ng2003b793_en.x86

You can also retrieve them from Princeton University's server:
http://pcsystems.princeton.edu/nav/

Still trying to figure out how to install these buggers. Anyone?!?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 6:29pm

*the* Blinky? .. as in David Blink?  Kiss

IP Logged

friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 10:42am

Symantec has upgraded Norton Ghost 2003.  After you run liveupdate go to your folder where Ghost is installed and read the readme.txt file to view the changes.

What is the date of the upgrade and version number? Sounds like one needs to make a new set of bootable disks for newer version.

Edit: Nevew mind, I just realized this was old news, circa 12/2003.

IP Logged

gpilot

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 8:39pm

In reference to manually updating Ghost 2003:

It CAN be done.

I was not able to get live update to work.  Maybe Symantec's server was down or since this is an older product it is no longer supported.  However after installing the *huge* Ghost 9.0, I got second thoughts because I have read of people having problems cloning a new HDD (thats what I need it for) entirely from within windows.  Since the registry is constantly
updating, my limited experience tells me the "virtual partition" (seaprate OS from the drive you want to clone) may be a better way.

I got these from the Princeton server:

ng2003b789_en.x86
ng2003b793_en.x86

http://pcsystems.princeton.edu/nav/

They are nothing more than .zip files without the extension.  Rename them with a .zip extension and they will open in Winzip.

The 793 update has all the files (newer versions) than the
789 update except one. Extract all the files to a temp folder.
You can use the "ghostlu.exe" file which will copy the files to your ghost program folder, or you can manually copy the files.  That's all the ghostlu.exe does.

WARNING:  Before doing this, you must exit ghost, AND end its process(s) in Task Manager. There is a .dll file, "vpartition.dll" , among others which will not copy if it is locked or in use by a process.  However there is one process which I could not end in Task Manager even though I was not running ghost, a background process which loads on bootup.

PC mag has a utility "Enditall" which gives you complete control over running processes, and which will allow you to kill all the ghost programs.  I used it successfully to end what Task manager refused to.  (don't do this if Ghost is running).

Then copy over the files from the update .zips to your Ghost program folder.  There was one file in the 789 update which was missing from the 793, in any case I just made sure I copied over (overwrite) the files with the most recent dates.

Then you need to reboot the PC so the background ghost processes will start with the new files.

Hope this helps! Grin

IP Logged

lethanhlam

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 5:50am

Symantec has upgraded Norton Ghost 2003.  After you run liveupdate go to your folder where Ghost is installed and read the readme.txt file to view the changes.

IP Logged

lethanhlam

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 5:53am

Smiley sao toi ko the download duoc Norton Ghost 2003 vay ????. ai bay cho toi voi ............................. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

wagreen
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 5:20pm

Thanks for the location of the Ghost 2003 793 file.  Downloaded it ok.  However, the Ghost  file ng2003b789_en.x86 was no longer at the Princeton site.  Any idea where I can get it?

IP Logged

critter748
N00b

Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 5:31am

bump,  (a year latter)

ng2003b789_en.x86 
ng2003b793_en.x86 

I know it may be a lost cause.. 
but I’m desperate to find the above files.

I’m bit annoyed that I could not "save" the live updates to a CD.
Now Symantec has stopped support for Ghost 2003, live update states Ghost 2003 is up-to-date. Not!  My version is 2003.775.

Really hope someone out there has these files available *crosses fingers

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print