Send Topic Print
HELP!  tcp/ip config (Read 58002 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

HELP!  tcp/ip config
Jun 7th, 2004 at 8:00pm

I'm trying to make a ghost image of a laptop and need to know how to configure for tcp/ip using Linksys ethernet card in my tower and a pcmcia Linksys card in the laptop (both with 98se).

The laptop hdd has a wierd connector, or I would just use my 2.5" hdd adapter and stick it in my tower to do this.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated; and please, keep it simple and spell everything out. I've never done this before and have no idea.

Thanks! Smiley

IP Logged

keltik1

Re: HELP!  tcp/ip config
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2004 at 9:11pm

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 1:26am

Yes, keltik1, I've read that. It's more complicated than I understand right now. I'm not using Linux, but 98se on both machines. I need to know how to set up the tcp/ip values, etc.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 5:19am

I've never used Ghost's network feature, so won't be much help. But if you get things sorted out, you might consider detailing your findings and I would be glad to update the guide which would help others in your predictament.

Rad

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 12:21pm

Roxe

Quote:
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated; and please, keep it simple and spell everything out. I've never done this before and have no idea.

and

Quote:
I need to know how to set up the tcp/ip values, etc.

It's unclear--tcp/ip values are software settings, but have you already established a peer-to-peer connection between the two computers, i.e. the hardware connection between the two so each computer 'sees' the other computer under 'Network Neighborhood' in Windows Explorer?

If not, that's your first step.  You will need a 'crossover cable' if you want to connect directly from network card to network card, or using standard ethernet cable you can connect from each card to a router to allow for communication between the two (I'm not sure, but you may also be able to connect to a simple 'hub' from each network card and have each computer talk to each other as well--you'd have to ask someone who's done that--I've only done the router and crossover cable connections myself).

Once connected, Win98se should take care of the configuration of TCP/IP for the two computers to communicate.  If you're running ZoneAlarm or other firewall, you may have to configure it on each computer to place the other computer's network card in the 'Trusted' zone so it allows the network communication between the two computers.

Once that's set-up and running correctly, then you can move on to seeing if Ghost can use the connection and if any special tcp/ip values will be needed.

Look at the 'Norton Ghost User's Guide' under Norton System Works/Norton Ghost/Ghost Utilities for 'Launching Ghost.exe peer-to-peer' and in the index for other 'peer-to-peer' references.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 2:42pm

Thanks Smiley Rad for the vote of confidence! Am waiting now for a new Linksys card - since my other two don't work. I'd be honored to file my success here in simple language  Grin

NightOwl, thanks too for your help Smiley  As soon as I can get the PC card on the laptop installed and the two machines seeing each other, then will go from there.

Some here have said that Ghost needs to be installed on both machines to do this??  Why??

I'm hoping to use a Ghost boot floppy from the laptop to copy the image to my tower.... with LOTS of prayer Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 1:16am

Roxe

See here for more detailed description about setting up peer-to-peer for Ghost:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000111914205025

Click on the 'Tutorials' at the top of the article for a run through of the procedure.

Apparently, you have to have Ghost on one computer 'talking' to Ghost on the second computer in order to do tcp/ip peer-to-peer imaging.  And it looks like you need two separate 'Peer-to-Per Network Boot Disks' if you do not have a DHCP Server that automatically assigns the NIC cards' IP addresses.  You will be setting the IP addresses for each card 'statically' by using the two separate boot disks, each with its own defined IP address that you manually input for each of the boot disks.

Under 'Norton SystemWorks/Norton Ghost/Ghost Utilities/Norton Ghost User's Guide/6.  Creating boot disks with the Ghost Boot Wizard/Creating boot disks and boot images/Boot disks with network support/ it says the following:

Quote:
9.   Do one of the following:

Click DHCP will assign the IP settings if your network contains a
DHCP server.

Click The IP settings will be statically defined and complete the fields
below this option if your network does not contain a DHCP server.
If you create more than one boot disk, then the static IP address
incrementally increases as each boot disk is created.

The above suggests that after you define the first static IP address for the first boot disk, the boot wizard will automatically increase the address by one for each additional boot disk created.

Also, other Symantec Documents are here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002082916001125

This article talks about starting your Network supported Ghost session from within Windows, rather than using the floppy boot disk.

and here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000012111391925

This article answers the question about using a 'hub' under 'Method 3 - TCP/IP Peer-to-Peer Connections'.  Apparently that will work, and when using a hub, you would just use standard network cables, and not the crossover type cable that would be for direct network card to network card connection.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 3:00am

O wow, NightOwl... and here I thought this was gonna be easy  Undecided

So I'mma glutton for punishment  Shocked

thankyouthankyouthankyou for all the links and help... you really want me to succeed, huh.

Later:
After looking at the first link you gave me, I found the article how to Ghost using a LPT cable... I'm sure I already have one of those, so am gonna cheat and do that, since it sounds the easiest.

Thanks! again for those links Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 3:14am

Roxe

The problem is that Ghost is running under old native DOS, and so you have to load DOS drivers to control the network card on each computer.  So apparently Ghost's answer to that is for both computers to be running Ghost with network support so they communicate properly.

Here's a thought...is there a simple plug-in adapter for the laptop hard drive that would allow you to hook it up to the 'standard' hard drive connector on your desktop?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 3:27am

NightOwl,

I was editing my post just as you were posting Grin

This laptop hdd has a connection I've never seen before; and the two laptop adapters I have don't fit.

See my edited post above your last one to see my "solution" to this whole thing... sounds way easier than the tcp/ip.

However, & this is scary Smiley,  I now understand about the subnet masks and ip addresses... makes sense to me.

Always learning...

Thanks again!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 3:52am

Roxe

No problem.

The TCP/IP route has a number of steps you have to follow, but it probably 'looks' harder than it actually is once you work your way through the steps.

Let us know how the LPT route works out.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 12:04pm

SUCCESS !!

Ok, here is how I did it:

Using Ghost over an LPT connection

1)  Using Ghost's boot floppy wizard, make two standard boot floppys. Be sure to check the LPT box under Peer-to-Peer when you get to that screen. Also make sure you have Mouse.com included with your DOS files in the Command folder inside Windows. You will need to leave these two boot disks unlocked. Use one for each computer.
2)  Check the port settings on both computers in the BIOS. Make sure they both are set for the exact same mode - bidirectional, ECP, or EPP. Do not set them to unidirectional.

3)  Turn off both computers.
4)  Attach a hi-speed bidirectional LPT (printer) cable to the real parallel port of each computer. Ghost does not support virtual ports. You can use a Belkin (what I used), LapLink, or pcAnywhere cable.
5)  Decide which computer will be the Master and which will be the slave. In all cases but two, the source computer should be the Master and the destination should be the Slave. The exceptions are when restoring a Disk Image or a Partition Image. In these cases, the destination drive should be the Master and the source drive should be the Slave.
  In my case, the laptop speed was only 133mhz; my tower is 800mhz. Since I wanted to image the laptop, it worked very well using it as the Master. I would guess that going from "slower" speed to "faster" works better than the other way around, which I haven't tried.

6)  Boot the SLAVE computer FIRST! When Ghost starts and displays the splash screen, hit enter or click OK. The next screen displays the menu. STOP - don't go any further yet.
7)  Now boot the Master computer. STOP when you get to the same screen as shows on the Slave computer.

8)  Using the Slave keyboard and the arrow keys, navigate to Peer-to-Peer - LPT - Slave, and hit enter. Or you can use the mouse to do this.
9)  IMMEDIATELY, using the Master keyboard and arrow keys, navigate to Peer-to-Peer - LPT - Master,  and hit enter.

10)  The Slave computer will show on the screen "Program connected in LPT slave mode". It will continue showing this screen through the entire process.
11)  Timing with a second hand, WAIT AT LEAST TWO WHOLE MINUTES!! This is important. It can take that long for the connection to really set up.

12)  Then start your Ghost menu for making the image. When you get to the destination drive screen, you should see the Slave computers' drives showing in the drop-down menu.

When the image is completed and you continue so to make another image, you will need to redo steps 8 and 9 above. Only this time, you won't need to wait the two minutes before starting the imaging process.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 12:10pm

I used the following Symantec documents to come up with the steps above in a more logical order.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999051310014225?Open

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999012510105425?Open

I don't understand why there is a space in the word Open of each URL. It doesn't show up that way when I type it.

So how would I fix it??

IP Logged

pookie

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 12:13pm

The link works. That's all that matters.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 12:29pm

Thanks!! pookie  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print