Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: HELP!  tcp/ip config
Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 12:58pm

roxe

Great post!!!

It's always helpful for the community if people come back and let us know if they were successful or not and how they accomplished the task.

Couple questions:

1.  Did you use the Ghost's PC-Dos or the MS-Dos for you boot floppies?

Quote:
Also make sure you have Mouse.com included with your DOS files in the Command folder inside Windows.

Why is this in your procedure?  What happened to make this an important step to include?

Looking at the steps involved in the LPT procedure, the TCP/IP procedure looks much the same, except you have the added steps of possibly having to supply the DOS drivers for your NIC card if Ghost does not already have them, and possibly having to manually set the NIC card addresses.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 1:04pm

roxe

Quote:
I don't understand why there is a space in the word Open of each URL. It doesn't show up that way when I type it.

I think you can just delete the '?Open' part at the end and just leave everything through the doc id part and it will still work fine.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 6:25pm

Hi NightOwl Smiley

Thanks to your links, I not only had great success but had fun in the process Cheesy

TCP/IP for me would involve putting my NIC dos drivers into Ghost AND setting the addresses manually. I could not find a detailed "how to" for doing that, so for me it would be more WORK than I have time for right now.

Plus, I have a feeling that it's going to be a royal pain getting the Linksys PCMCIA card set up in the laptop - another thing I don't have time for, since the laptop owner is wanting his machine ASAP.

I used MS-DOS, cuz I'm running 98se. Also, I had to download the Mouse.com and put it into my DOS folder inside Windows. For some reason, it would never install there. So, without it, I could NEVER get the destination drop-down menu to "drop".

I suppose one of these days when I have nothing else to do, I'll check out my cab files to see if it's in there.

I included it in my instructions, just cuz it makes things so MUCH easier inside DOS Ghost.

As for the "O pen", pookie said "the links work and that's all that matters" Grin

Thanks! again a bunch for all your help!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 12:37am

roxe

Quote:
Also, I had to download the Mouse.com and put it into my DOS folder inside Windows. For some reason, it would never install there. So, without it, I could NEVER get the destination drop-down menu to "drop".

So, are you saying that you did not have mouse support from your Ghost basic boot floppy before you added Mouse.com to your Windows\Command directory, and after you added it there you did have mouse support when you created a new boot floppy?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #19 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 1:42am

NightOwl,

Quote:
So, are you saying that you did not have mouse support from your Ghost basic boot floppy before you added Mouse.com to your Windows\Command directory, and after you added it there you did have mouse support when you created a new boot floppy?

Yep, that is exactly what I mean. Until tonight...

I went into the boot disk wizard and chose the CD boot disk. When it got to the screen where I chose which DOS version I use, I left it at MSdos, and for the first time it came back with a notice that becuz I'm "using MSdos there will NOT be a Mouse.com used in making the disk."

ALL the other kinds of MSdos boot disks I've made have always had the Mouse.com used. (I went into the Command folder and there was NO Mouse.com in there... so I added it - but it made no difference to that sweet notice  Undecided  Now I'm wondering how the other disks got made.)

So, I just switched to PCdos and made it with that!!

But... when I booted with it, loading the CD drivers failed.

This is getting to be an exercise in patience,  hard thinking, using hours searching the Symantec knowledge base, etc.

I'll switch to the other topic I have in making a boot disk that will assign a letter to the CDrom... and ask you a question there,  OK??

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #20 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 7:39am

Included these findings in today's update of the Ghost guide (14june2004).

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_network.htm

Rad

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #21 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 1:34pm

Thanks! Rad for allowing me to share my little bit of knowledge for everyone Smiley

Re-reading my steps again, there is only one small change I would make - to make it more clear.

Step 12 would start:
Using the MASTER keyboard or mouse, start your Ghost menu . . . etc.

Thanks! again for all the help I've received from some of the nicest people I've met - especially NightOwl Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #22 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 2:28pm

roxe

Quote:
But... when I booted with it, loading the CD drivers failed

Are you sure it 'failed'.  As I mentioned in the other thread about assigning letters to the CD or DVD drive, I got a lot of 'driver failed' notices for drives that were not present on my system when I booted from either the MS-DOS based boot disk or the PC-DOS based boot disk, but the drives that were on my system, were listed and assigned drive letters successfully when Ghost finally started and I looked in the drop down listing of 'source drives'.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #23 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 7:54pm

roxe

From your post #19:

Quote:
ALL the other kinds of MSdos boot disks I've made have always had the Mouse.com used. (I went into the Command folder and there was NO Mouse.com in there... so I added it - but it made no difference to that sweet notice    Now I'm wondering how the other disks got made.)

The other boot disks that you made were probably the 'Standard Ghost Boot Disk' which is for using Ghost to directly image to your optical writer(s).

The 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost' is for accessing your optical drives with CD's or DVD's that were not originally made using Ghost, i.e. you've imaged to a hard drive and copied the image to a CD that may and may not be bootable.

Symantec's Ghost program 'hides' the Mouse.com program that it uses here if you need a copy:

C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #24 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 8:42pm

NightOwl,

Quote:
Are you sure it 'failed'.  As I mentioned in the other thread about assigning letters to the CD or DVD drive, I got a lot of 'driver failed' notices for drives that were not present on my system when I booted from either the MS-DOS based boot disk or the PC-DOS based boot disk, but the drives that were on my system, were listed and assigned drive letters successfully when Ghost finally started and I looked in the drop down listing of 'source drives'.

Yes, it failed. The CDrom drive was still at the top of the menu with a @ at the beginning of the line.

But, using my modified 98se bud, the RAM drive is on "S" and the CDrom is on "T"; and like I said in the other thread, it WORKS just fine!

Finally!

About the Mouse.com...
The first time I used the Ghost boot wizard with MSdos, it did NOT include a mouse driver on the floppy; but after downloading Mouse.com and putting it in my Command folder inside Windows, all the different boot disks I've made with MSdos - except for the CD/DVD one - had the mouse driver on them.

Thanks! again for all your help Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #25 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 9:16pm

roxe

Quote:
The CDrom drive was still at the top of the menu with a @ at the beginning of the line

What menu is that?  If it's listed and you could identify it, couldn't you use it?

Quote:
About the Mouse.com...
The first time I used the Ghost boot wizard with MSdos, it did NOT include a mouse driver on the floppy; but after downloading Mouse.com and putting it in my Command folder inside Windows, all the different boot disks I've made with MSdos - except for the CD/DVD one - had the mouse driver on them.

That's really strange...I thought that's what you ment, but I never had Mouse.com in my C:\Windows\Command folder and I always had mouse support except when using MS-DOS and the 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost' , and the bootable CD created when imaging from the Windows interface.

It's always interesting Undecided.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #26 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 12:26am

NightOwl,

Quote:
What menu is that?  If it's listed and you could identify it, couldn't you use it?

It's the drop menu for either source or destination...

I guess it's because the @ is not a drive letter.

With the @, all you get if you manage to click on it (the down arrow key jumps right over it; but if you arrow down and then arrow back up you can click on it) is the sweet message "Image file not created with Ghost".

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/...

"This problem happens when Norton Ghost 2003 cannot detect a drive letter for the CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD drive. To resolve the problem, configure Ghost to assign a drive letter to the device."

Since I've been using a 98se BUD to get to A:\>, then starting Ghost, I've had no problem in being able to check integrity or restore images burned on CD's.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999020111084825?Open

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #27 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 7:47am

Revised step #12 per your comment.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #28 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 1:40pm

Thanks! Rad Cheesy

IP Logged

Mike S

Reply #29 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 1:32am

This may help anyone who's trying to create a bootable DVD with Ghost containing an image of a computer that doesn't have a DVD burner.  It's roundabout way of doing it, but it works.  I too was unable to successfully  run Ghost across two computers using a TCP/IP connection.  That sounded like it was over my head.  So here's what you do.  Image the partition on the computer without the burner.  Then network that computer with the one with a burner (using a hub, crossover cable, etc.).  Transfer the file from the non-burner computer to the burner computer.  Then restore the image to an empty partition on the burner computer.  Finally, image that partition onto a DVD.  Presto, a bootable DVD with the image of the non-burner computer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print