Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost '03, multiple HD's, and swapping probs (Read 9484 times)
lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost '03, multiple HD's, and swapping probs
Oct 11th, 2004 at 7:51pm

Ok, I've tried a bit of searching and due to either lack of information or poor seach functions, I didn't find much to help me here. However, this being the home of the famous Radified Guide and from browsing through the forums here, this is the place to get help - if any.

To start, I've been using Ghost 2003 with no problems for a long time. I regularly image my drive and restore it with no problem (usually my OS - Windows XP Pro). This past weekend I tried something new and ran into a troubleshooting adventure that is now going on the 4th day.

I have two drives. The first drive (HD 0) is 120 gb and partitioned twice. "C:" is strictly the OS and programs, the 2nd partition (drive letter insignificant right now) was a main backup space.

The second drive was 80 gb, partitioned into 4. Yes, four. In my "worst-case scenario" genius, I left the first partition open and blank for emergency boot (more on this later). The additional drives were for ghost images, music/media, all remaining personal files, in that order. Size of the partitions I believe is irrelevant here.

Now, the first partition of the second drive being empty for emergency boot was because of this: I thought that should my main drive with the OS on it fry or die, I would pull it, move the second drive to the first position, use Ghost's boot disk to restore my OS image to that first open partition and "VOILA", my computer's back up and running. ... NOT the case.

I decided I wanted the 120 gb drive (currently the first HD containing the OS) in the second HD position and the 80 gb in the first. Reason being the OS constantly running the HD = the smaller 80 gb *should die first, sparing my larger 120 gb. I used ghost to restore my working & good (used many times before) OS image to the first empty partition of the second drive. After this was successful, I swtiched the drives, jumpers, and booted. No boot. Gave me a black screen (F2 to retr, F12 to...). Now, used the Ghost DOS disk to restore again. No go. Froze mid-boot. Tried both of these MULTIPLE times.

Figured **maybe** it was a drive letter problem. Couldn't see why since anytime I put in a second drive Windows assigns it default letters if it's "new". So I pulled the 2nd drive altogether so there would be no conflicting drive letters and retried the restore. Still nothing.

Now I went ahead and totally reinstalled XP from scratch, just to make sure the drive would work. It did, and once it was up and running I installed Ghost, updated it, and ran it to restore. NOTHING booted.

It was this and that back and forth. Basically, it never worked. Even after installing Windows from scratch and then trying to restore the image. I restored with both the boot disk AND running Ghost through the OS. I *Finally managed to get the system to boot - which is where I am now - but with a catch! If I pull the second hard drive, it won't boot. If I put it back in, it's fine. And, yes, when I pull the drive or put it back in, I change the BIOS settings to detect the drive (or not) as needed.

Sorry for the long description but I think it was required. Does anyone have ANY ideas? This is disturbing because while Ghost is ***GREAT***, it seems to be so only if you don't have to replace your HDs. Essentially, what I did was imitated my main OS drive going dead, and moving the second drive with a boot space partition into it's place. Restoring Ghost once should have been the end of t but Ghost is refusing. It's almost like it remembers there being a second drive present when I created the image...

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost '03, multiple HD's, and swapping probs
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 9:20pm

lightminute

Quote:
Restoring Ghost once should have been the end of t but Ghost is refusing. It's almost like it remembers there being a second drive present when I created the image...

Well....it's probably not Ghost--but WinXP and the fact that the second drive was on the system already.  It probably has to do with WinXP having identified the HDD's previously and is 'remembering' their respective positions and where the boot files were located.  Unlike Win9x, WinMe and DOS,--- WinXP allows you to assign drive letters that are 'sticky'--it does not re-assign letters based on changing the 'position' of the hard drives on various controllers.

If I'm right, these references should help:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10949...

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#04

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10956...

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 11:24pm

Owl,

Thanks for the pointers and the tip about the drive letters. I had actually read a couple of those links already. The "sticky" drive letters is still an open issue in my troubleshooting but the reason I'm straying from it is because it seems that what I've attempted is a perfectly "normal" method of restoring Windows used by many people with Ghost. However, this problem is not documented much - or does not happen with them.

I've simulated the primary drive failing (being absent) and inserted a "new" drive into the first/master position. I then restore the image to this drive and the freeze occurs. Others who have described the problem have pointed out that I must make this partition "active". After reading that, I was about 98% certain this was the problem but I used Fdisk (as suggested) to make this new partition with the restored image active and it still froze at the "Welcome" screen. I've attempted to restore the image from a different partition on the same drive AND from a partition on a seperate physical drive.

My comment about Windows "remembering" the presence of a 2nd drive may be misleading. Tonight I've seen that in most every instance, it won't boot either way.

The "active" partition issue still boggles me, however, since I was able to completely reload XP on the new partition (making it active) and still received the boot freeze when I then restored to it. This leads me to believe something in the actual restoration of the image is affecting the "active" setting. Either way, before AND after the restoration, I have used Fdisk to set it as active and it still won't boot. Checking the file structure, though, everything Windows needs is there...

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 1:15am

Quote:
... In my "worst-case scenario" genius, I left the first partition open and blank for emergency boot (more on this later)...

lightminute

Since I am a nut about Partition Magic 8.0, I am able to interpret this statement a minimum of four ways:
1)  the second HDD had available space for a partition upfront, but the partition had yet to be formally created (the only way that it could truly be blank or vacant);

2)  the second HDD was formatted NTFS across the board with a primary active partition upfront without evident content, and an extended partition trailing with three logical drives therein;

3)  the second HDD had a primary active partition upfront formatted NTFS lacking evident content, and an extended partition trailing with three logical drives therein with a mix of NTFS and FAT32 file system formats; and

4)  the second HDD had multiple primary active partitions and the first one lacked evident content, with the trailing partitions being a mix of NTFS and FAT32 file system formats.

I could go on and on, but I won't.  However, I am quite intrigued by your project and would like to have more details - along with the final resolution and how you got there.

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 2:38am

lightminute

Quote:
it seems that what I've attempted is a perfectly "normal" method of restoring Windows used by many people with Ghost

Hmmm...I've not seen too many posts here that resemble what you are trying to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are restoring the OS partition from what was on Drive 0, to the open partition that is (was) on Drive 1 (second position).  But you are leaving the original partitioning of that second drive intact, so you still have 4 partitions.  I would not call that a 'new' drive.  It's a drive that your imaged WinXP has seen before, and the partitions and drive ID are the same as what the restored OS has stored in it's registry.  Even though that first 'partition' was open and blank (unallocated space probably), WinXP was aware of it--if you look at the disk layout with 'disk management', you will see that unallocated space identified as being there.

What you have done is a 'partition to partition' 'restore' procedure.  If you did a 'clone' operation where Ghost wipes out the second HDD's partitioning to make it look 'exactly' like that of the image, you might not have the booting problem.  But, are you making an image of just the OS partition vs an image of the entire HDD?  This could influence the outcome of a cloning operation.

'Most' people (I think) buy a replacement drive and install it in the same position as the dead drive and 'clone' the image to the new HDD (best to have images of whole drives--my personal opinion).  Everything 'looks' the same as before when WinXP compares its registry key and boot.ini file to the drive id's and the location of the partitions.

But when you switch the second drive that WinXP has already ID'd to the primary postion, and you restore the OS from the image file, you now have 'C' on Drive 0, plus X, Y, and Z partitions from what was Drive 1, but are now on Drive 0.  And the drive letter of 'the 2nd partition (drive letter insignificant right now)' that was originally on Drive 0, does not even exist!  But 'boot.ini' has all the 'old information' and the WinXP registry has the 'old information' because that's what you made an image of--and restored to that 'first partition open and blank' on the HDD that originally was Drive 1!

Quote:
I *Finally managed to get the system to boot - which is where I am now - but with a catch! If I pull the second hard drive, it won't boot. If I put it back in, it's fine.

This seems to indicate that WinXP wants to 'see' that 2nd drive in order to boot properly.  So, I think, unless you change what WinXP expects to 'see', based on what's in the image, you're going to have a boot problem.

Did you try the suggestions above to see if one of them works for you--worth a try?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 12:51pm

Pescador, I hope this will clear it up: On this slave drive, I had four partitions. The first partition I left blank for my "emergency boot" purposes. It IS formatted NTFS but I don't think it really matters with Ghost since restoring an image formats accordingly (...I'm pretty sure). In leaving it blank, I just meant I didn't put any files there. When I use the Disk Manager view in the XP console, it is the furthest left partition - simulating the main/first physical drive's "C:" position where the OS resides. Since you've brought this up, I'm wondering if there's fault in this logic. From what you've said, it isn't "truly" blank because it's more than a space, it IS a drive because it has a drive letter and I can put files there. So to answer your question, the "blank space" is the primary active partition, NTFS, assigned a drive letter with no content, followed by an extended partition containing three logical drives, all NTFS. 

Owl, what you summarized in your first paragraph is correct. You make an interesting point regarding the fact that I'm putting an image from the OS on a hard drive with a different partition structure onto a different hard drive with a different structure. I thought that putting that image on the first partition where "C:" would be and then installing that drive as a master would just allow it to boot. Now what you said previsouly about the drive letters being sticky clearly becomes a problem.

As far as what you said about cloning to the replacement drive - there are a couple reasons why I don't do this. One is because, as you said, cloning an entire hard drive will replace the entire hard drive, partitions and all. In the "worse case scenario" I had, my primary OS drive would fail and I would move the slave into the master position, restore the image (stored on that same drive), and be on my way (in a perfect world Wink). So that's what I meant by my attempts being a "normal" method of restoring Windows.

As I saw it, my primary OS drive kicked the bucket (in theory). My good working image of it resides in one of the latter partitions of my secondary drive. Since the first partition of this second drive is "open", I simply remove the dead drive, move the slave into the master's position, restore the OS image to the first open/active partition and I'm done! In the initial post, however, I did this a little differently because my primary hard drive didn't actually fail. So while everything was up and running fine, I went ahead a restored the OS image to the primary partition of my slave AND THEN switched the slave to the master partition. Now, I can see the error in that with your point about the drive letters. However, in my troubleshooting I didn't do this again. I simply cleared the first partition of the slave drive again, powered off, removed the primary drive containing the OS (simulating it's failure) and put the slave into master's position. Now, obviously the system won't boot because the new primary drive is empty... but the presence of only one drive now (even if it was once the slave) should cause Windows to assign the first partition as "C:", shouldn't it? Then, I should be able to use the Ghost DOS boot to restore the image and be ok. This is where I'm at now with the problems.

Now, the information you put in one of your last paragraphs is LOADED. I'm a fairly certain the answer lies in there. Most significant is how you described the "X,Y, and Z" partitions formerly on the slave HD1 now residing on HD0. Not withstanding what I mentioned earlier about how I thought XP would re-assign "C:" to the "new" drive (slave as master), I don't know how it would react to the additional drive letters. I guess I had originally thought XP would see all the drives/partitions as new (since the slave is now the master) and re-assign all the drive letters accordingly. This may be the problem...   more on my troubleshooting results when I get home later tonight (day 6?)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 5:53pm

Quote:
... From what you've said, it isn't "truly" blank because it's more than a space, it IS a drive because it has a drive letter and I can put files there...

lightminute

If you are running either XP Pro or XP Home, I suspect that when the "blank" primary active drive was formatted NTFS, it then gained a visible file folder entitled WUTemp and two hidden file folders - RECYLCLER and System Volume Information.

El Pescador

IP Logged

lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 6:00pm

Yes! I've seen these - at times on the other drives I've formatted in the Disk Management console. The "RECYCLER" I've definitely seen more than the others. "System Volume Information" I haven't seen as much ... but "WUTemp" deals with Windows Updates, doesn't it?

Nevertheless, I usually delete these files  Shocked.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 3:49am

Quote:
... Nevertheless, I usually delete these files...

lightminute
You can delete all but the active file inside of the RECYCLER folder - I doubt that you can safely delete the folder itself.  I also doubt that you can affect the contents of the System Volume Information folder, nor can the folder itself be deleted safely.  I cannot comment on the WUTemp folder one way or the other.

Don't take my remarks as being unkindly - the sort of goals you are pursuing I find highly fascinating and do much the same myself - only I seem to spend a whole lot of time "running up blind alleys".

El Pescador

IP Logged

lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 10:13am

Pescador,

I've seen nothing in your comments but the intent to help and maybe learn a little more. Smiley

I could have sworn, however, that I was able to delete the Recycler folder everytime I saw it. I hated seeing it because I had just formatted my drive and thought it should be empty. I'll have to see if it was just hidden...

As for my problem, I figured out how to fix it LATE last night. So late I wasn't able to keep my eyes open to post the details. i will do that later tonight. The answer was in the contents of one of the links that NightOwl gave me. Although I had already read them, his posting a link to them caused me to re-read them more thoroughly. Thanks, Owl.

For now, I can tell you it WAS a drive letter problem. You have to use the command "fdisk /mbr" to clear the drive letter memory and all will be ok. More later...

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 10:37am

SUPER !!!

El Pescador

IP Logged

lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 8:09pm

I have to apologize for the great delay. I had a lot busier end of the week than I would have liked.

Anyway, one of the links provided by Owl shows what is called "Kawecki's Trick". Basically, they say that when you clone (not image) to a new hard drive, you should NOT have the old hard drive in with the new one.

Quoting: "The proper way to use these utilities is to install both HDDs, boot from floppy disk, do the copying, remove the original HDD, and boot the new HDD. You don't want to let XP see the new HDD before doing the copy, and you don't want the new XP to see the old XP the first time it boots up. Many people who complain of problems with cloning utilities have made one of these two mistakes."

As a remedy if you have made this mistake, they say to use the command fdisk/mbr. This will clear the memory of the drive letters and clear up the confusion the OS on the new drive/partition is having with the other ones present.

Also, another quote which may be important if you're doing anything along these lines: "Note the "fixmbr" command from the XP recovery console may seem to be similar, but in fact will not invalidate previous drive letter assignments.".

Now, though this worked, it has some important implications (for me, at least). One, is that with my setup (the common 2 hard drive system- OS on C: of the main drive, backup images to a partition on the second drive AND seperate partition of the first drive) you have to be careful of how you restore your OS. On a daily basis, as long as your drives haven't physically failed, you can restore from another partition on either drive with no problem.

Now, if your master drive fails, you can put in a new one and should be able to restore with no problem. One potential one, however, is whether or not you'd need to partition that master drive like the original one that failed. This is because when XP does boot up anew on the new drive, it should look for the other partitions on the master drive it remembers. I don't know if this will lead to boot failure or if it will simply adapt.

Another strange situation would be if your secondary drive failed, leading you to take it out. Intially, there's no problem because you simply remove the drive and XP notices. My question now is if, once that second drive is removed, if you happen to restore the OS (with the image backup on another partition of the master drive), will XP go nutty on bootup because the original image "knows" there should be a second drive with other partitions? Or will it be no different than removing the second hard drive and booting up on a normal day because after the restoration XP is essentially just being rebooted?

Lastly, and I think the most important implication of the whole thread is the scenario in which you primary drive fails and you have no other drive aside from your slave with the backup images of your OS on it and an "empty" partition. This is essentially what I had so much trouble with. You cannot simply remove the master, and install the slave as a master to restore your OS image. You have to use the "fdisk/mbr" command or else the computer will hang because XP is now on a different drive letter and it's looking for "C:".

Thanks for the help! Learned a lot about this... I guess 4-5 days of troubleshooting is good if it makes you prepared for a "worst case scenario".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print