Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Cant delete? being used some other progrm? (Read 10669 times)
Hog Heaven

Re: Cant delete? being used some other progrm?
Feb 5th, 2005 at 3:09pm

IP Logged

Jbon
Radmeister

Decatur,Alabama

Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 6:06pm

I want to understand what it means when windows wont let me delete a thing and the excuse is  " being used by some other program?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 12:13am

Jbon

Any file that is in use by either a program or a Windows system file that is in use, can not be deleted until it's not in use. 

So if you're playing a music file with WinAmp, you can not go into Windows Explorer and delete that file while it's playing.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Jbon
Radmeister

Decatur,Alabama

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 3:05pm

that much  I am able to easily fathom and I am sure that windows knows  but I can't understand what its talkin about in many cases where I personally have only that browser in use and nothing else yet windows says that malarkey  I just am looking to learn something here

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 3:37pm

Jbon

You would have to be more specific:

1.  What specific file are you trying to delete?

2.  Hit 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete', look at the 'Applications' tab, and the 'Processes' tab--would any of those programs or processes be using that particualar file?

Also, sometimes even though you have stopped using a particualar program, Windows may still be holding that file open--so you have to ask, if you sometime before trying to delete a file, if you had a program running that would have used that particular file.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Jbon
Radmeister

Decatur,Alabama

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:02pm

right and still in cache or memory someplace..um
I will get back on that later i'm afraid cuz its a thing that simply occurs to me in my  procedures to&fro..etc..and I'm also afraid i cnnot remember which things  but  I will get my question trimmed up and properly formulated and return it  in a bit  with the needed answers hopefully..
I am looking into some education online..you got an opinion on these"colleges"?
I know my learning from doing and reading off of forums threads and such is very enriching.. but i want to know so much more, much more quickly somehow... and i really somehow doubt that this pressurized thing i am getting online has my mistrust levels very high.
any   views or experiences, friends with knowledge of..etc?

(see i am very insistent on efficiency since i am 52 its a hafta... but the salesmen don't really know much about this..this guy I have an "appointment" with to talk about his "university" (AIU) I think it is  i made the possible mistake of responding to an email to see what happened.. but I would really love to learn from a person with first-hand experience or knowledge of same
hence my reason for asking here
(I realize i need to find a proper place for this)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:53pm

Jbon

No experience with 'online...colleges', but I would look for one that is associated with a 'brick and mortor' college or university.

Depends on what you want to learn, and why--if it's to get a better job or to perform your work better--probably can help if the course work is related to your what you do.

If it's 'general' knowledge on a given topic that you wish to become more informed on--sure can find an awful lot of stuff on-line these days--mostly at no charge.

If you're getting a 'high pressure sales pitch'--I'd run from that as fast as I can.

IP Logged

Jbon
Radmeister

Decatur,Alabama

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 4:07pm

OK these culprits I am referring to are things like net meeting,  outlook express and messenger and some other programs I know i will never use on this one partition in particular, I feel entiled to manage it as I see fit,  but Mr Bill has a problem with that, evidently.
And i am not surprised or angry maybe a little continuation of my overall feelings toward mrbill    who would copyright middle "C" if we allowed it ....that selfish greedy prick
(one of my idols still) but I still admire anyone responsible for w xp as I do give credit to him for...
I know there are reasons more intense which are the real reasons why I am not allowed to  eliminate some things like outlook express  and net meeting but i can't stop trying still and I can't stop want ing to be rid of the unnecessary crap

ps right now I am being attacked by a stoppage of usb service on my new partition and i cannot imagine why     never had this problem  tried to upgrade but it came back and said my current drivers were the best choice  but windows cannot load them for some reason  I had stopped some services which I doubt would cause this problem but I have went back and put them all back on "manual" except "themes" and one more i forget which... 

I will discover something  eventually i will now reoot again and make sure nothing has changed in reaction to re-enabling the services

IP Logged

Jbon
Radmeister

Decatur,Alabama

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 3:58am

I can sort of fathom the notion that certain folders need to be established and exist,each by its name, within certain larger binders ....etc.
so I now accept the hunch as way for real that things windows means to keep...it shall keep... and make up storie to justify it as well!...but the names are  some popularly known as difficult to almost impossible to eject, while I do believe messenger  and some other one which used to be hard, can now be removed from xp (thank Goodness and tweak xp(despite a certain"fond" moderator)
I get lots of swell help from the knowledge base at TweakXP inbetween  hunting the re-decided locations of all my posts

being sorry is never gonna ever be enough to get this  pistol  packing firecracker popper to leave me the fck alone when I dar o ask for help there  i am serious  check it out  if you don' believe me & tell me if i am the one thats  out of my tree check it out and please let me know if I am an ashpot:
http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=4&MessageID=151279
and monkey wrench injections when I do ask for help about how and why I am posting the way I am     regardless of  what might actually help solve my problem or why i can't post clearly or in the right place according to leo sayer, or lotsa stuff  I am so double-strong emotional about it    i love the great knowledge base but the harassment is fun like herpes
I once made a comment about the level of maturity shown in some administrative actions taken  and have never stopped regretting being so forthcoming with my thoughts    I mean i really must  have struck a nerve on this man beast or boy manbeatnik or saddam jock i cannt tell but  i am too outspoken by anything i say there and regret each time while i am occasionally ecstatic from one or two of the many tweaks found there.. someone tell me if I am the jerk:

http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=4&MessageID=151279

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 11:26am

Jbon

I checked out your link...what's there seems benign.  Are you exchanging private emails or instant messages with one or more persons on that forum?

Quote:
I once made a comment about the level of maturity shown in some administrative actions taken  and have never stopped regretting being so forthcoming with my thoughts    I mean i really must  have struck a nerve

Sounds like from your post above that you have some kind of previous history at that forum and may have in deed 'stepped on some toes'.

Quote:
someone tell me if I am the jerk

'Jerk'--no, not based on the link above,... but in your posts--the way you express your thoughts can be hard to follow.  The subject seems to ramble and the train of thought suddenly jumps elsewhere, and sometimes back again.  Is that 'bad'--no, but probably labeled as 'different'.

There are lots of 'playground bullies' out there, and use any excuse to wreck their abuse on someone.

IP Logged

Jbon
Radmeister

Decatur,Alabama

thankyou
Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 4:59pm

I am glad I asked   and amen to your take ...why is it the ones who wind up getting authority and keys and such  have a really high rate of deep rooted problems of severely perverse
lackings in self confidence levels or something equally overwhelming.. I am so clueless really as to what might really be wrong with someone with such a chip.. i am concerned with managing my image and feedback about my grammar and form and everything is just what I need to learn all I can about.. but I am already well learned in how to act like a b*tch!  I just hope my attitude never nears accomplishing just that on my own behalf in this process... I simply value the knowledge that ispotentially glean-able here online... once our hurdles of communication breakdowns such as they may be, are overcome... and the resulting communication then is able to flow at the rate  only impeded by my reading skills and not hampered or worried by thinking  I am "shuckin' somebody's corn" or anything..
i love the forums because there is an education there,available, whose level is such that it is not matched anywhere else, ever...because it is based on honest personal experience... most likely very very recent, and timely.

But humans bad nature is a threat at every turn and click

i find that if i can shorten my posts I am better off in general ... to address the phenom you mentioned  I acknowledge it...... quite...   

this time however my strategy was not applicable ... in fact it was the reason my adversary saw fit to snatch my collar and give me a whack....  I was too brief this time.....

So i guess i will not say "damned if i do",etc.... why should that do any good?
  but you see my frustration at the fact  that   things  are like they are, when I try to post at that place, as i did this time without first making damned- sure that my question is crystal-clear.. but  as i check this instance it appears to me that the fellow seemed to have failed to read my title... and i think he is more embarassed and po-ed now at himself and at me for posting on his forum...since  its obvious to anyone who READS my title with the post  .....what I was talking about...
Am I mistaken on this particular point, in your opinion?

(only if you are not doing anything else anyway)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 5:44pm

Jbon

Your title:

Quote:
new partition usb quits

When I saw that, I knew what you were referring to because we had shared some posts here about your doing a clean install of WinXP, and that your USB had stopped working.

But, all by itself on the other forum--it's not clear what the problem is from that title.

Something like this:

Title-- 'USB has stopped working'

and then in the body of the post:

'Just clean installed WinXP on a new partition.  Updated to SP2.  USB was working fine, but now it no longer recognizes my external HDD (or whatever)....  etc.'

By the way...is your USB working okay now?  I think WinXP has it's own USB drivers, and I don't think you can 'reinstall' them until you first uninstall them.  You can go to 'Device Manager' and have WinXP delete your USB controller(s) which would then uninstall the drivers, and then reboot and have WinXP redetect the USB controllers, which would then reinstall the USB drivers.  But I think they are built-in.

Uninstalling the USB controller(s), and then letting Windows redetect them could solve a problem that you're having with USB working correctly.

IP Logged

Jbon
Radmeister

Decatur,Alabama

thanks
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 11:22am

usb   was uninstalled and finally   made  all better as windows repaired itself exactly as you have advised me it would do....
I was not like unaware but  in my IQ-deleting-panic, I  had certainly forgotten all about how easy this typically  really fundamentally is..  just like when I was  all-dummy, before i allowed the friendly help from more experienced users, to infiltrate my methodologies, and reform them , fundamenatlly... for which i greatly proclaim the very distinctly cool-as heck resource online-  of all resources  this one  on which I now jabber at anybody listnin...
thanks for the good hearted helpfullness attitude shown to strangers like good Christians  oughta count on always finding in our great world... whether or not a person can appear to be cool or not

thanks for who y'are, N.O.!

I b'leve our world is much the better place .....thanks to your type of output  at large

I am very grateful to you for such  discretion and frank honesty not to mention totally decent  and desirable atmoshpere, spirit and aura...

best

Jbon

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 12:07pm

Jbon

Appreciate the positive feedback  Wink .  Glad I could help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print