Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 CD is bootable (Read 88809 times)
Just me

Ghost 2003 CD is bootable
Apr 28th, 2005 at 8:01pm

(Sorry, I meant to post to this board and not the High Rad board).

Hi, I've read all over the boards here and the net about Ghost 2003, and no where is it mentioned that the original CD is bootable! I read where people have so many problems creating boot CD's or floppies, but why not just use the ghost cd? I'm just wondering why it's not the preferred method? I'm new to Ghost and like it alot, and I had absolutely no problems creating an image using the original CD, I only added -ghostoncd switch, and I could access it and restore fine. Can anyone tell me why this isn't mentioned anywhere I've read?

IP Logged

Just me

Re: Ghost 2003 CD is bootable
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 8:10pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention.. when ghost asks me to insert a floppy disk for the boot info, I just use the ghost CD, since it uses floppy emulation anyway, and it extracts the info just fine, and behold, a bootable CD. Anyway, I'm just extremely curious why people don't like to use this method. I just recieved ghost a few days ago and searched all over the net on user guides and faqs on how to use it, and nowhere did I see this mentioned. Everyone talks about either creating a bootable floppy or CD, and just seems like too much of a hassle if I don't have to. Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 3:14am

You make a good point. I think, sometimes, people just forget, or maybe don't know that the Ghost retail CD is itself bootable.

I'm in the process of updating the guide, so I added a sentence to the 1st paragragh listed under the heading "Bootable Ghost CD" on this page:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm

I linked the word "bootable" to this thread.

Thx for the input. Sometimes it's the obvious we overlook.

R.

IP Logged

Just me

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 3:31am

I'm glad I could help and I hope this info can help others. Smiley
I only wish I knew this before spending a few days researching the net. Tongue Just remember to use the -ghostoncd switch, so the ghost.exe gets copied to the root of the CD. Also, using -bootcd bypasses it asking for a floppy and just copies directly from the CD boot image. Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2005 at 11:36am

Just me

Quote:
I read where people have so many problems creating boot CD's or floppies, but why not just use the ghost cd? I'm just wondering why it's not the preferred method? I'm new to Ghost and like it alot, and I had absolutely no problems creating an image using the original CD

As with all things computer (and Windows), there's usually more than one way to do something--one way is not necessarily better than the other--just what works best for the individual...

Just another thought about using the 'original' Ghost CD for booting--when I use the version command on the 'ghost.exe' that's on the CD, I get the following:

X:\English\Support>ghost -ver
Norton Ghost 2003 (build=775, cdrlib=3.1.24)
Copyright (C) 1998-2002 Symantec Corp. All rights reserved.

When I do the version command on the Live Updated version on my installed version of Ghost, I get:

C:\Ghost>ghost -ver
Norton Ghost 2003 (build=793, cdrlib=3.1.25)
Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Symantec Corp. All rights reserved.

As you can see, the build is more recent than that on the CD--Symantec has 'fixed' some bugs or compatibility issues most likely--and the CD-R Library (cdrlib) is updated also--more CD-R optical drives are supported with the newer updated version.

But, if the Ghost version on the CD is working fine for your system--then there is no need to worry about the updated version that's available--it's when the CD version isn't working correctly on your system, that's when you need to consider trying the most recent version to see if that helps.

And then you need to figure out how to get that version onto a bootable CD.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Just me

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2005 at 2:36pm

That is a good point, however my CD is version 793, so I hadn't considered that. Smiley I did just recieve it a few days ago from an online retailer. Smiley

IP Logged

Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2005 at 10:48pm

Hello Just me,

Read your post , its a real eye & a mind opener.

I have a Bootable Ghost v2003 CD.

Can you please mention what CHANGES have to made, like replacing the older ghost.exe, adding switches to it etc, to make it Bootable in all aspects for full functionality.

Not requiring to make a Bootable floppy/ CD.......as thats a pretty confusing matter to me since bein a newbie, am a PC. illiterate too.

Please make it simple & step wise.

Waiting to hear to hear your views.

Regards.

PS: I don't understand a bit about switches. lol

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2005 at 11:11pm

Quote:
I don't understand a bit about switches.

Ghost 2003 has a nice Windows interface to work from from within Windows--but ultimately, it's a DOS based program.  If you work from Windows, once you begin the actual Ghost procedure, Ghost closes out Windows, re-boots the system to a DOS environment, does the Ghost procedure, and then re-boots the system back to Windows.

And you can work with Ghost 2003 directly from within DOS without using the Windows interface, just the DOS version and it's interface.

DOS programs often use 'command line "switches"'--these are letters or words, often with a preceding symbol, placed on the same line you type to start the program.

For example--'ghost -ver': 

'ghost' when typed at a 'command prompt' in a directory which has the 'ghost.exe' program, will start the DOS Ghost program. 

But when you add the 'switch' (a command line instruction--or think of it as an 'option' telling the program what special function you want), now something else happens.  In this case, typing the ' -ver' (that's a space and the minus symbol (-), then 'ver') after the 'ghost' command, now the DOS Ghost program does not start, but instead the program displays the version and 'build' number of the 'ghost.exe' program.

Switches are 'options' that you type after the name of the program that start the program--they change how the program functions from the 'default' settings.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2005 at 11:22pm

Thanks for replyin.

Ghost version after checlkin, ghost -ver, is build 793, cdrlib 3.1.25.

Where & how do I add the -ghostoncd & -bootcd switches.

Regards.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2005 at 2:49am

Quote:
Where & how do I add the -ghostoncd & -bootcd switches.

Not sure you have to.  With Ghost 2003, when you select the optical drive as the destination, Ghost asks you if you want to make it bootable--if you select 'yes', it does it for you.

See more discussion here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Full_Rad_Board;action=display;nu...

IP Logged

Craig

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2005 at 8:27am

Well, I can't get this to work.

My Fujitsu-Siemens P7010 came with Ghost 2003 installed and with an ostensibly bootable CD.

Booting from the CD, it launches PC-DOS and then asks what drivers I would like to install.

Neither Firewire nor USB find any devices (yes, the external disk is plugged in and turned on!)

Then, I just get an a:\ prompt

Can't even run the ghost.exe programme, because it doesn't seem to be there.

Why does this all have to be so difficult?... Very tiring, and time-consuming.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2005 at 10:24am

Quote:
"... Neither Firewire nor USB find any devices (yes, the external disk is plugged in and turned on!)..."

Craig

What make and model of external disk?  Is external disk purpose-built or an internal HDD mounted in an external enclosure kit?   Is connection USB 1.1, USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800, SATA or a combination of any of the foregoing?

El Pescador

IP Logged

Craig

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2005 at 8:18am

LaCie d2 120GB firewire 400 (NTFS)

plus

Nixvue Vista 40GB, which has a USB 1.1 and a firewire 400 interface and is FAT.

But, even if the drivers did enable these disks to be accessed, the ghost.exe file does not appear to be accessible on the original CD when booted from it. What drive and directory is it in?

The P7010 does not have a floppy drive.

I am really at the end of my tether with this, which is unusual because usually I am the one telling friends and colleagues to calm down, be methodical and persistent.

I really can't see the point of Ghost 2003 if all you can do with it is back-up, not restore! It is all very well being able to create a bootable CD/DVD if you store the image on it too, but that is not much use if you have an 80GB HD in your machine.

Something which is an integral part of what the application is designed to do and which should be entirely straightforward has taken hours and hours and hours. For nothing, because I am no further on now than I was when I started, despite investigating options like www.ultimatebootcd.com ; www.nu2.nu ; www.bootdisk.com ; , searching all over Symantec Tech support, calling Fujitsu,  etc. etc.

Very sorry to rant. Please excuse me. I think you can probably sense how worked up I am.

All I want to do is clone the disk (so I can send the laptop for the case to be repaired after it was knocked) and then know that I can easily and quickly restore it again when it comes back (you can't take the disks out of these things without voiding the warranty). Should be a 3 step process: clone, restart from CD, restore...  What else is Ghost made for if not this precise task?

Well, I don't know. If any of you can help, I'd be very grateful, but at this point it seems the only restore solution with this product (at least for XP laptops with large disks and no floppy drive) is to spend the time reinstalling both Windows and Ghost, then run it from the virtual partition.

I just want to put on record that this particular incarnation of Ghost is not a very useful application. If you are thinking of buying it, don't. It will turn your hairs grey and is not fit for purpose (given that it came with the laptop - though that is perhaps Fujitsu's fault rather than Symantec's).

Anyway, you've heard enough of my whinging. Thanks for reading, and in advance for any suggestions.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2005 at 8:43am

You have already checked out BartPE. You can image your HD to your external HD from BartPE and restore if needed. Almost certainly BartPE will see your external HD.

BartPE has a plugin for Drive Snapshot which will do your imaging. It usually has a 4 week trial period. You can still restore after the trial period has ended.

BartPE has a plugin for Ghost 8, but that isn't going to help you as you need to have ghost32.exe and a few other files.

IP Logged

Craig

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2005 at 9:22am

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was hoping BartPE would be compatible with Ghost 2003 and spent some time trying to find out whether it was, but it doesn't look like it is.

Of course, I had Ghost blinkers on because a) I already have a licensed copy and b) frustrating though it may be, at least I know it will produce reliable drive images.

Thanks for pointing out DriveSnapshot. Do you know if it is reliable? It is not expensive and may, in conjunction with BartPE, be THE killer solution...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print