Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cloning question concerning Ghost 2003 (Read 8876 times)
PeterB
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cloning question concerning Ghost 2003
May 6th, 2005 at 6:40pm

Hello everyone.  Smiley

I would like to clone my 40gig IDE hard drive onto my 160gig SATA HD on my new computer. The only way to do this would be to connect the old HD onto IDE on cable select inside the new computer.

Would it be safe to clone my old hard drive onto the new one
while it is connected to the new PC or would I be safer re-installing everything?

Thanks for reading this. Smiley

IP Logged

Ludwig

Re: Cloning question concerning Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2005 at 6:58pm

I would remove the old drive from the system, then install the new one in place of the old one, then partition the new one just like the old one, and then install the old one, but change the jumpers so it is not the primary master, and clone the old to new. It depends how your partitions are set up on the old drive. Is it just one big drive? Then you don't need to partition it before cloning. After Ghost is done, turn off the computer and remove the old drive before it starts back up. Make sure everything works fine with the new drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2005 at 10:01pm

PeterB

Quote:
I would like to clone my 40gig IDE hard drive onto my 160gig SATA HD
on my new computer

Clarify--was your 40 gig IDE hard drive on an 'old' computer, and now you want to transfer your OS on that HDD from the old computer to a 'new computer' system?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2005 at 10:23pm

Quote:
"... but change the jumpers so it is not the primary master, and clone the old to new..."

Ludwig

As I recall, once I placed a SATA HDD in the PRIMARY MASTER HDD position on my Dell Dimension 8300, the former PRIMARY MASTER IDE/ATA HDD would not function in the PRIMARY SLAVE role - with neither the CABLE SELECT nor the SLAVE jumper setting:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11062...

However, I must state there were no problems nor any hesitation at all that day with my Dimension 8300 (WIN XP Pro) as I performed a Norton Ghost 2003 Restore of a "disk-to-image" from an external IDE HDD to the SATA HDD set up to replace the original IDE/ATA PRIMARY MASTER HDD (no IDE/ATA HDDs were onboard during the transition).

With my Dell Dimension 8100 (WIN XP Home) on the other hand, I performed a Norton Ghost Clone of the IDE/ATA Primary Master HDD to a SATA HDD in an external enclosure kit which was then removed and placed in the Primary Master HDD role (no IDE/ATA HDDs in the loop granted the PCI-to-SATA host adapter card); the system immediately demanded that Windows XP be reactivated within 3 days due to hardware changes - which I put off momentarily - but eventually all the "nickle-and-dime" error messages convinced me to revert to the IDE/ATA HDD as PRIMARY MASTER where it remains to this day.

One key difference in my estimation is that SATA capability was native to the Dimension 8300 systemboard, whereas I had to install a Vantec PCI-to-SATA Host Adapter Card in the Dimension 8100 - albeit that is all guesswork on my part and nothing more.

El Pescador

Quote:
"... Clarify--was your 40 gig IDE hard drive on an 'old' computer, and now you want to transfer your OS on that HDD from the old computer to a 'new computer' system?"

NightOwl

Whoops - BACKSTROKE !!!

IP Logged

PeterB
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2005 at 2:48pm

Thanks for all the advice. Smiley

I cloned the IDE drive onto the SATA hd, and initially the SATA drive refused to load  XP. I went into the BIOS and changed the HD settings to "combination" and now XP loads and things are back to normal.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2005 at 3:11pm

Congrats.

Thx for the follow-up.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2005 at 6:48pm

Quote:
"... I cloned the IDE drive onto the SATA hd, and initially the SATA drive refused to load  XP. I went into the BIOS and changed the HD settings to "combination" and now XP loads and things are back to normal..."

PeterB

Are you going to put the 40GB IDE/ATA HDD back in service ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

PeterB
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2005 at 3:30pm

El_Pescador wrote on May 7th, 2005 at 6:48pm:
Are you going to put the 40GB IDE/ATA HDD back in service ?

El Pescador

Yep. The original 40gig IDE drive is going back in the old PC which is going to a charity trust while I enjoy the splendour of my new PC. :)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2005 at 4:29pm

PeterB

Interesting!

Did you do anything 'special' to prepare the cloning operation?

'Normally', trying to clone an OS from an old computer system to a new computer system creates problems--the old OS has never 'seen' the new motherboard, CPU, memory chips, SATA controllers, different USB controllers, different IDE controllers, different sound card, network card, modem if present, etc....and complains about the changes--often getting no further than a frozen blue screen of death during boot!

What's your secret?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

PeterB
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2005 at 6:54pm

NightOwl wrote on May 8th, 2005 at 4:29pm:
PeterB

Interesting!

Did you do anything 'special' to prepare the cloning operation?

'Normally', trying to clone an OS from an old computer system to a new computer system creates problems--the old OS has never 'seen' the new motherboard, CPU, memory chips, SATA controllers, different USB controllers, different IDE controllers, different sound card, network card, modem if present, etc....and complains about the changes--often getting no further than a frozen blue screen of death during boot!

What's your secret?

Blowed if I know as I've just installed a new HD, NIC and soundcard and everything so far is working fine. Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2005 at 8:46pm

PeterB

Quote:
I've just installed a new HD, NIC and soundcard and everything so far is working fine

So is it a new motherboard, as well?  I'm assuming 'yes', if you are giving the other computer to charity.

As I said, 'Interesting'!

IP Logged

PeterB
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2005 at 1:42pm

NightOwl wrote on May 11th, 2005 at 8:46pm:
PeterB

So is it a new motherboard, as well?  I'm assuming 'yes', if you are giving the other computer to charity.

As I said, 'Interesting'!

The new PC is a Dell 8400 which I decided to replace the on-board sound and NIC with their PCI counterparts and increase the amount of HD space.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print