Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ASPI layer: change or not change? (Read 2428 times)
Martin
Ex Member

ASPI layer: change or not change?
May 19th, 2005 at 1:26am

Hi everybody,
I have recently found this forum and discovered there are experienced people here who might help me with the following topic.
I have a Toshiba notebook (XP SP2 Home) with a multidrive DVD RAM Matshita UJ820S, and the entertainment software I usually use is InterVideo WINDVD Player, DVDFAB Platinum, Sonic Record Now and Windows Media Player. All this system + software has been (and is) working extremely well.

A few days ago, I decided to give a try to DVD Cloner II, and realized that during installation the software asks me for updating the ASPI layer. People trading this software have told me that DVD Cloner II works with ASPI V4.60.
It is very important for me to know if the change of the ASPI layer (requested by DVD cloner II) may affect the other mentioned programs I usually use.

1) Do All programs that read/write on a CD/DVD drive use an ASPI layer? If the answer is yes, well, I might assume that for example, Sonic Record Now (CD burner program) employs an ASPI layer version different to the ASPI layer version requested by DVD Cloner II, so if I accept the ASPI layer version requested by DVD Cloner II, a conflict might arise when using Sonic Record Now.

2) A fair answer to my question might be: "try it". If a problems comes out, will Windows XP allow me to restore the previous ASPI layer?

3) At this point I am assuming that my system has already an ASPI layer file and that DVD Cloner II is trying to update it. Is this correct? How will I know if Windows XP will work with a new ASPI layer?

4) Does anyone know what Microsoft says about changing/updating the ASPI layer installed with Windows XP?

All this issue is beyond my basic knowledge of computers and softwares. Perhaps there is someone who may clarify about this topic.
Thank you for you kind help.
Cheers,
Martin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: ASPI layer: change or not change?
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2005 at 3:37pm

1. no, not all.

2. force aspi has a back-up feature that allows you to back up your existing aspi layer:

http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

you can use the back-up feature *without* installing 4.60 that comes with force aspi.

3. use the aspi checker to see what's installed:

http://radified.com/Files/

you have to try to see if it wil work. I use v4.60 with XP Pro SP2, all works perfectly.

Did you read the ASPI guide?

http://aspi.radified.com/

It should all be spelled out for you there in painful detail.

IP Logged

Martin
Ex Member

Re: ASPI layer: change or not change?
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2005 at 11:47pm

Thank you Rad for your detailed feedback.
I'll carefully read the suggested references.
Cheers,
Martin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print