Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Multiple DVDs in Ghost 9 (Read 15320 times)
Ancient_Learner
N00b

I don't believe it!

Yorkshire

Multiple DVDs in Ghost 9
Jun 2nd, 2005 at 4:19pm

I am trying to make an image of my 'C' drive which is too large to fit on one DVD, it needs 2. The first DVD goes fine. then it asks for the second media, put that in tray, close it and although the graphics suggest that the burning is continuing, in fact nothing happens.

I am on XP SP2, a PC that is less than a year old, with 1GB memory.

I have tried formating the disks, but that is useless. I've erased tyhe disks after formating and does not improve the situation. I have altered the drive letter of the DVD drive from its normal 'Z' to 'L' to no avail.

I just don't know what else to try. Perhaps this is normal!!??

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Re: Multiple DVDs in Ghost 9
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 4:46pm

I use Ghost 2003 to burn a 3-DVD image with no problems.

Just copy the ghost.exe executable from the CD to a floppy diskette containing bootable system files and run Ghost 2003 from DOS.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 4:47pm

Hi Ancient_Learner,

Just a few questions. How large is your HD, how much data on your C: drive, any other partitions on the HD, how did you format the discs and are the discs + or - ?

IP Logged

Ancient_Learner
N00b

I don't believe it!

Yorkshire

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:16pm

I have 2 HDDs. Both 250GB but in anything to do with Raid.
Each HDD is divided into 4 partitions, and I use Ghost 9 to do incremental back ups to the 2nd HDD.

The data on 'C' drive is 9.82 GB.

I formatted the DVDs, and indeed erased them using InCD, (Nero - Ahead Programme). I cannot find any other way of doing it!

I just would like a back up of 'C' drive that I can keep away from the PC.

IP Logged

Ancient_Learner
N00b

I don't believe it!

Yorkshire

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:20pm

Sorry, the DVDs are +. DVD +R and DVD+RW makes noo difference to my problem. I've tried both.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:58pm

Thanks. The smart way to have your images on DVD is the create the images to your HD, the same way you have been doing, but tick "Divide the backup image into smaller files to simplify archiving". You need to manually enter a figure of 4480, the Ghost figure of 4589 MB is too large. Then burn the images with Nero using the UDF/ISO setting. This is 10 times faster than burning the images to DVD directly from Ghost.

Ghost uses Gear packet writing as its burning prog and discs don't need to be formatted. I've written an image to a single DVD from Ghost but it was so slow that I have no intention of trying to do what you attempted. The Nero way is preferable.

I don't know if this is the answer but having a second packet writing app (InCD) installed may have caused your problem.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 6:58pm

I echo Brian's recommendation.  Directly burning a Ghost 9.0 image to a DVD disc is - in my experience - painfully slow.  It is much more advantageous to store the image on a hard disk drive - splitting the image into DVD-sized files - and then burning those files to DVD discs.  Brian's estimate of a ten-fold difference in speed is not an exaggeration.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 10:53pm

Hi.

As a side note, can somebody provide some realistic examples of how long it takes to burn a 4.7-GB DVD with Ghost vs Nero?

What speed burner are you using? Disc speed rating?

You have to consider that now you are performing two separate functions: creating the image & then burning it, which adds more time to the process.

And will he be able to use these DVDs to RESTORE the image? or will he get an error saying "Not a Ghost image"?

Or will he have to first transfer the images back to the hard disk before he can restore them?

Has anyone who has used this method actually restored images from the Nero-burned discs?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 11:47pm

I've tried this Rad. A 3 GB partition with 1.5 GB data. Image size is 0.8 GB. It's a WinXP (barebone) partition.

Using Ghost 9, to image and verify, writing to the HD,  takes 1 minute. Writing to DVD takes 3 minutes and another 7 minutes to verify. ie 10 mins total. (Using a 4X DVD+RW)

I have restored the partition from that actual DVD.

Burning this 0.8 GB image from the HD to the same 4X DVD disc with Nero took 2:45 min. Just now I restored the partition from the image on the DVD put there by Nero. Verify process took 8 minutes, write took 1 minute. Total time 9 minutes.

It takes 1 minute to restore that partition from an image on the HD.

Interesting figures. DVD is slower.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 1:57am

Thx for the numbers.

0.8-GB .. that could almost fit on a 700-MB CD.

On most systems I've used, writing & verifying usually take similar times. If you are writing & verifying 800-MB in 1 minute, then you are most likely writing in about 30 secs, or 1.6-GB/min. That's pretty fast. Two spearate disks? IDE? SATA? Each on separate controllers/channels?

Similarly I wonder why your DVD took over twice as long to verify as it did to write. I've verified DVDs and they always took roughly as long to verify as they did to make. Any ideas? Shouldn't take longer to read the disc that write it, no?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 2:11am

Dell 8400 2 SATA HD's, non RAID

I can't answer your questions on verify/write. Out of my league.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 2:19am

Rad, I just imaged that partition to the HD again. 65 seconds to write, another 10 seconds to verify. Standard compression.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 2:27am

I appreciate the effort & the details.

Verify supposedly goes thru all the steps of restoring the image with the exception of actually writing data to disk. Maybe someone can confirm this.

10 seconds to verify 800-MB, let's see, that would be reading at around 4800-MB/minute (6X800). Or 4.8-gigs per minute.

Do you happen to know off-hand what read-speed your DVD is rated for?

I could probably crunch out the numbers, but it's late and my brain is tired.

I also wonder if anyone else is seeing verify speeds 1/6th that of write speeds. Like I said, they are usually similar.

Seems odd that here your verify speeds are 1/6th that of write speeds, but on the other they are over double the time. No consistency.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 4:16am

Rad, I thought the last image time was a little slow. After a restart I did it again. 42 seconds for the write, 11 seconds to verify, 53 secs total.

I have a "feature" in my DVD burner called Riplock which I understand reduces the read speed when reading from a VIDEO_TS folder. Using my burner with DVD Decrypter I get a maximum read speed of around 5X but the maximum read speed of my DVD reader under the same circumstances is 8X. The burner was used for the Ghost image so maybe it does have a slow read rate.

IP Logged

Ancient_Learner
N00b

I don't believe it!

Yorkshire

Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 7:22am

Thanks Brian and Rad. I can burn 1DVD with Ghost perfectly alright, and I do not have an issue with that. It is when my drive needs more than 1 DVD that I am thawted.

And Rad's query  - - And will he be able to use these DVDs to RESTORE the image? or will he get an error saying "Not a Ghost image"? 

Or will he have to first transfer the images back to the hard disk before he can restore them?

Has anyone who has used this method actually restored images from the Nero-burned discs? - -Seems very relevent to me. It is no use if it doesn't in fact work.

It seems to me, that I might be as well to do without the  incremental backups provided by Ghost 9 and revert back to the previous edition of Ghost (2003), and be certain I can use multiple DVDs. Or go out and buy Acrinis that I am told doesn't have all the quirks of Norton. Annoying when I've paid good money for System Works Premier 2005, and not only am I gfoing to have to ditch their AntiVirus, but now the Ghost as well. The GoBack is a bad joke, I couldn't ever get that to even work at all even from the 2003 edition or the 2005.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print