Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Help on re-creating Ghost 9 CD (Read 4205 times)
Wellie
Ex Member

Need Help on re-creating Ghost 9 CD
Jun 6th, 2005 at 11:19am

I'm helping a friend of mine to rebuild his PC from a Ghost backup image due to a hard disk failure on his pc. 
His computer was put together and installed with necessay appl by the store.  He later also purchased Ghost 9.0 and had another person installed and created a disk image for him and saved on a CD.  Instead of making a backup copy of the Ghost 9.0 CD, he copied the entire CD onto another PC which has a CD writer as a backup.   Now. when I insert the Ghost CD into the CD drive trying to boot from the CD, as it was trying to boot up, I got CD read error and unable to proceed to startup from the CD.  Under close examination, I noticed that there is a long scratch on the cd and I was not able to clean/remove.  I tried several time but in vain.

Question: How can I re-create the Ghost 9 bootable CD from the backup on the hard drive (as stated earlier, my friend copied the entire Ghost CD onto another pc. I can see all file folders and various files such as Win51, Win51IP, WINBOM.ini, etc) using Nero 6 ?

My friend will also contact Symetac for assistance later today.

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Need Help on re-creating Ghost 9 CD
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 12:30pm

Wellie

Please clarify:

Quote:
He later also purchased Ghost 9.0 and had another person installed and created a disk image for him and saved on a CD.  Instead of making a backup copy of the Ghost 9.0 CD, he copied the entire CD onto another PC which has a CD writer as a backup.

A Ghost image was made and saved to a CD.  Then that CD with the Ghost image was copied to a HDD on another system for storage?--or the Ghost 9.x installation CD was copied to another PC?

I don't believe that Ghost 9.x creates a bootable CD when you store an image on the CD.  You have to boot using the Ghost 9.x installation CD--or a 'Recovery Disk' CD, if a second disk is included with the Ghost 9.x package.  Once booted to the 'Recovery Envirionment', you then use the 'Restore' option and point the program to the image file on the CD to use to restore a HDD.

Quote:
Question: How can I re-create the Ghost 9 bootable CD from the backup on the hard drive (as stated earlier, my friend copied the entire Ghost CD onto another pc. I can see all file folders and various files such as Win51, Win51IP, WINBOM.ini, etc) using Nero 6 ?

If it's a copy of the Ghost 9.x installation CD that was copied to the other PC--the 'hidden' boot sector would not be copied along with the 'data' portion of the CD.  You would have to have the Ghost 9.x installation CD or the 'Recovery Disk' CD available, use a program like 'IsoBuster' to read the 'hidden' boot sector of the CD, extract that hidden boot sector file, and then use it to create a bootable CD plus the 'data' portion of the CD that was saved to the other PC.

You use the portion of the 'how to' on 'slip streaming' a new service pack to the Windows installation CD to create a updated installation CD with the new service pack.  You are not doing any of the 'slip streaming' of the new service pack to update the installation files of the old installation files to the current service pack level--you are just doing the part that explains copying the old CD files to the HDD, getting the 'hidden' boot sector image from the original installation CD, and then creating a new bootable CD from those files by copying the 'hidden' boot sector file plus the data files to the new bootable CD.

But you need the original Ghost 9.x bootable installation CD, or the bootable 'Recover Disk' CD to get that 'hidden' boot sector file from them.

Here's a good outline of 'slip streaming' and it explains the process of creating a new bootable CD:

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

The reason for following this outline is that Ghost 9.x uses the same Window PE (Pre-install Envirionment) program (WinXP Lite) that WinXP uses for installing WinXP.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Wellie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 3:26pm

Thanks.

You are correct on the C:\ drive image.  Once it was created by Ghost, it was copied onto a CD for storeage.

It was the Ghost Installation CD that I had problem (a scratch on the disk services).  I'll try to look for the "isobuster" program that you mentioned to see if I can read the hidden section info (not sure what I'll be looking for) on my PC.  I'll try to understand your suggestion about using "'slip streaming" to see if I can create the bootable Ghost 9 installation CD.  If all fails, my friend will have to wait until Symantec sends him a replacement Installation CD.

Regards

IP Logged

Manikandan

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 1:24pm

Hi,

This is simple contact Symantec Technical support (Provided if you have a valid licence) they can help you to create a Ghost CD again
they will refer you to a FTP location from wherd you can download a ISO image of the Disk which inturn can be burnt to a CD and used

Tough Luck ( No cheating) your Key is validated
1-800-7456-052

Regards
Manikandan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print