Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Won't restore from Nero copy CD (Read 27249 times)
Notaclue
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Won't restore from Nero copy CD
Jun 27th, 2005 at 6:12pm

Hi,

I have made a Ghost XP image of my C Drive using the split command,  and saved it successfully on Drive D.
I did a test restore to the C drive using a normal Ghost 2003 DOS boot  floppywhich was sucvcessful.

I then copied the 3 Ghost files onto a DVD using Nero:
scsi.gho
SCSI0001.GHS
SCSI0002.GHS

I rebooted using the Ghost boot DOS floppy , selected the Nero DVD and tried to restore.
It came up with an error message which simply stated that the DVD was not created with Ghost.

I would apreciate someone explaining how I can restore from DVD.

Secondally, I wish to back up the 100Gig partition onto 8.5 gig DVD+ 's.
I was trying to understand how I could split this across DVD's using the spit command. (I wasnt sure whether SPAN is the same thing). This seems limited to 2048Mb.
What split command line do I need to enter to sussessfully burn the 100Gig across the DVDs?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Won't restore from Nero copy CD
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 9:24pm

Notaclue

If you use any program other than Ghost itself to burn images to the optical media, Ghost will choke and say it's not a Ghost image or a Ghost image can not be found, if later booting from the 'Standard Ghost Boot Disk'.

If you boot from the Windows Ghost interface, Windows Ghost adds the needed drivers that 1.  mount the optical drive in DOS, and 2.  assign a drive letter to the mounted optical drive--and you will be able to use those images without problems.

In order to boot to DOS from floppys, instead of the 'Standard Ghost Boot Disk',  you need the two floppy boot disk set 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost' because it will have the necessary drivers to 1.  mount the optical drives, and 2.  assign drive letters to the optical drives.

2048 MB's (2 GB's) is the max size, but you can make them smaller.  Let's see........probably ( 8 )  1 1/16th GB files would give you  8.5 GB's, but usually you need a little bit of extra room for files system bookkeeping.  And 1/16 times 1024 = 64 MB's.

1024 + 64 = 1088 MB's.  So maybe 1080 MB split command.

If Ghost writes these directly to DVD, it will make them all 2048 except for the last file that will be smaller to fit the media capacity.  You can use Ghost Explorer to split or enlarge image file sizes--but, if you have large video files, Ghost Explorer seems to fail with those sometimes.  You will have to experiment to see what works--
and always do a final image integrity check before you assume you have a good image set.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 3:17am

IP Logged

Notaclue
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 4:44am

Thanks YABBC!

Very helpful

IP Logged

Notaclue
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 4:47am

Grin

Oops !  need more coffee...

Thanks Guys. Very clear, and I'll check out the references.

8)

IP Logged

Notaclue
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 7:06pm

Rad wrote on Jun 28th, 2005 at 3:17am:

The web site link gave Excellent help...

but... Nearly there...  Wink

I have a SCSI drive and 2 IDE drives.
Booting off the Floppy or CD allows me to see the CD (Atapi) but not the C drive (scsi) working of an Adaptec 2910

I guess the issue is DOS drivers?

Is that the way to go.. and got any suggestions?

Thanks again.. I'd be up creek without you all.

8)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 7:49pm

Notaclue

In your initial post, you said you created an image of the scsi HDD and were able to restore to it using the 'Standard Ghost Boot Disk'. 

What have you changed so that you now have an issue with accessing the scsi HDD?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Notaclue
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 4:00pm

Hi NightOwl,

Smiley
The only fifference was that when creating I used the Ghost 2003 CD.

When restoring I used a boot DVD I had created. This can be found by following the link Rad described to  
« Reply #2 on: 28. Jun 2005 at 01:17 »  
Might find JHouston's post helpful:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10899...

...and then followubg the link to  the procedure described by rgng. - satcp/ghostresq01.htm  
. i.e...

Re: Ghost 2003 won't recognize a drive
« Reply #1 on: 16. Jul 2004 at 01:47 »  Quote  Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/ghostresq01.htm  

I guess if it is ados driver issue any useful link to the dos driver wold be helpful

Thanks

8)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 8:59pm

Notaclue

Quote:
when creating I used the Ghost 2003 CD

Clarify a couple things...

1.  Your drive D: is your DVD optical writer drive?
2.  The Ghost CD is a stand-alone CD with Ghost--not Norton SystemWorks with Ghost--correct?
3.  When you boot the Ghost 2003 CD, did you get a PC-DOS menu and did you choose
'2.  Load CD Drivers (IDE and SCSI)'
?

In you first post you said:

Quote:
I did a test restore to the C drive using a normal Ghost 2003 DOS boot  
floppy
which was sucvcessful.

In your most recent post, you said:

Quote:
When restoring I
used a boot DVD
I had created.

4.  These two quotes do not match--please clarify what you did for a successful restore from you original created image.

5.  Did you try creating the 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost' using the Ghost Boot Wizard (that I mentioned in Reply #1 above), and booting from them to see if you could then access the image files on the DVD that you burned with Nero?

The reason I'm asking the above questions is that I'm trying to determine if you need DOS SCSI drivers for your setup or not.

IP Logged

Notaclue
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 4:39pm

Hi NightOwl,

To answer your questions as best as I can..

1.  Your drive D: is your DVD optical writer drive? ..   It's a Sony 720DRU DVDWriter..is that an optical writer?

2.  The Ghost CD is a stand-alone CD with Ghost--not Norton SystemWorks with Ghost--correct?
Yes... purchase Ghost 9 and the free 2003 in the same box.

3. When you boot the Ghost 2003 CD, did you get a PC-DOS menu and did you choose '2.  Load CD Drivers (IDE and SCSI)'?
Before I answer,  I would like to clarify that There are two CD's we are discussing. The first is the Genuine Ghost2003 CD, and the second is my home made bootable DVD which I made following the links.

a. When I boot the Dhost 2003, I get a PC dos menu and I chose option 2. By loading my second dvd immediately, I can run Ghost successfully from it and restore the image.
b: When I boot from my DVD (using the 'Windows 98 DOS)
I cannot see the SCSI drive.

Yes to creatring a Startiup disk, and they can see the images on the DVD or CD.

Is it worth me trying to burn another bootable DVD.? Maube I've made a mistake.

Look forward to your reply.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 1:26am

Notaclue

Quote:
I did a test restore to the C drive using a normal Ghost 2003 DOS boot  floppywhich was sucvcessful.

I'm still not sure you have clarified the above statement--what do you mean by 'a normal Ghost 2003 DOS boot floppy'?

In you last post, it sounded like if you booted with a boot disk that had 'SCSI' support of CD-ROM (optical drives), then your SCSI HDD's were also visible.  (The Ghost 2003 CD, if used for booting, and you choose choice #2, you load SCSI drivers for CD-ROM optical drives.  And, the two disk set created using the Ghost Boot Wizard to make the ''CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost' also are loading drivers for SCSI CD-ROM optical drives.)

So, it sounds like you need to add those SCSI drivers to any bootable disk you want to use if you want to see your SCSI HDD's.

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/ghostresq01.htm

Quoting from the above reference:

Quote:
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:cdrom001

The first 4 lines load various Adaptec SCSI card drivers (including the 29xx series) and the last line is the generic Adaptec SCSI CD-ROM driver which works with all standard SCSI CD-ROM drives.

If you have a non Adaptec SCSI controller you will have to download the manufacturer's DOS drivers for that card and edit the CONFIG.SYS.
You can delete following files on the bootdisk to free space for the new drivers.

ASPI2DOS.SYS
ASPI4DOS.SYS
ASPI8DOS.SYS
ASPI8U2.SYS
ASPICD.SYS

The 5 lines in the CONFIG.SYS which load the Adaptec SCSI drivers can be replaced by following 2 lines:

device=xxxxx.sys
device=yyyyy.sys /D:cdrom001

Where xxxxx.sys is the SCSI card driver and yyyyy.sys the CD-ROM driver from your SCSI card's manufacturer. Don't forget to copy the drivers to the floppy disk too!

This explains what lines load the SCSI files in 'config.sys' and what changes need to be made if you have to load 'non-Adaptec' drivers.

Is this your SCSI adaptor?

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English...

If 'Yes', click on 'Download Drivers and Software' for DOS driver.... or search for your specific adaptor.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print