Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Easy (Read 68101 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Easy
Aug 27th, 2005 at 8:37pm

At 6PM CDT, August 27th all indications are that Hurricane Katrina will strike the City of New Orleans and its immediate environs within the next 48 hours.  For the communities along the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain, the projected storm surge with the current track is estimated will top 14-to-18 feet exclusive of wave action.

No matter what, electrical service and communications will be interrupted in the area for days on end - that is already a given even with a near-miss.  If the absolute very 'worst-case' projections really do come to pass in the Crescent City - a huge community that is essentially a 'bowl' for the most part several feet below sealevel - then I paraphrase Rudolph Giuliani when I say , 'the number of casualties will be more than any of us of can bear'.

We are now faced with a Category 4 - maybe Category 5 -  hurricane, so regardless of strength and proximity of impact it may be a long time before you all will see the signature below ...

El Pescador
 Ever Again

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Eas
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 8:50pm

I'll be watching the television for news.

Rad

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 11:56am

May your god be with you.  Katrina just upgraded to a 5; mandatory evacuation of New Orleans ordered!

Good Luck

thorin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 12:58pm

Thorin -

Same here on this side of Lake Pontchartrain south of Interstate 12 where I live.  Battening down, but not certain I will run.  I spent 33 years in a profession where we were the last to take shelter from hurricanes in coastal Louisiana and the first back in to perform Search & Rescue in the aftermath - 'smoke in the nostrils of the old broken-down firehorse' and all that.  Really would hate to miss the 'show'.

All of my loved ones - except the two rat terriers - are either in other states or on high ground to the north.  Sure looks like Katrina has me in her crosshairs, and she certainly looks to be either the Perfect Storm or the Storm of the Century - nay, Storm of the Millenium - for those poor folks living down in the 'bowl-below-sealevel called the  Big Easy'.  They will be at DefCon 1 by nightfall.  No matter how much water we get here on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, it will drain off in 18-to-36 hours no matter what.  Down there, it could be weeks or months if their 105+ year-old pumps are permanently disabled - they run on an electrical standard from the nineteenth century and there are no ways to restore them to service in a timely fashion.

BTW, do you like bluegrass music?

EP

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 4:16pm

I am an old hippie from Maine - used to take my dad's GMC pick-up and go to many a blue grass festival.  Short answer - yes

Good luck and use your head - hate to see the dogs hurt  Wink

thorin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 5:15pm

thorin wrote on Aug 28th, 2005 at 4:16pm:
"... used to take my dad's GMC pick-up and go to many a blue grass festival..."

Was kinda hoping the bluegrass CDs I sent to Texas made it all the way home Roll Eyes

The structure on the highest ground in our community is the railroad station.  Early this afternoon, a local firefighter pointed out to me that that there is a mark 15 feet above ground level marking a storm surge attained in the 1940s.  That water level would overtop the crown of my roof, so I will be gone by sunset.

EP

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 3:35pm

We are waiting for word. You okay? The house? The internet connection?

IP Logged

brauchmanet

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 8:47pm

Hi Rad, have you looked up the map of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain south of interstate 12 ? They got hit hard from the NE side . My guess is that the winds were blowing away from the northshore and the flooding shouldn't be so bad in that area. On the southside of Lake Pontchartrain a dam gave way and NO is under water. no power , no drinking water no nothing in the whole area. But I am only guessing.

IP Logged

brauchmanet

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 9:15pm

The only railroad on the northside of Lake Pontchartrain I could find
runs throu Slidell - and the news from there is bad: "People posting messages on a weather forum in New Orleans say central Slidell is underwater."---
"State police say the farthest East you can go is Baton Rouge. No one is being allowed in any of the communities surrounding New Orleans."
link:http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWL082905ross.86c6840.html

IP Logged

brauchmanet

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 9:49pm

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 3:02am

Tonight, I am a refugee in the home of an old friend on the eastern edge of Baton Rouge where I will sleep on the floor in air-conditioned comfort.  Civilization begins to rapidly degrade eastward from the Amite River not to resume until you reach the eastern shore of Mobile Bay.  An analogy is that I am luxuriating with a shower and a hot meal in Kuwait while back home awaits the very worst conditions of a slum in Baghdad, i.e., no electricity, no water nor sewage provision, no garbage nor trash collection, no mail delivery, no wired telehone nor cellular service, no cable TV nor broadband Internet service, no police patrols nor response, and no manned fire stations over most if the area with no way to summon emergency services of any kind, and - most distressing - no commerce of any kind so far.  You can get donated cases of bottled water and MREs at a couple of deserted shopping centers if you are lucky.

My few remaining neighbors back home - those valiant few - are sitting in the dark sweating while nervously fingering their repeating shotguns and Magnum revolvers wondering if tonight will be the occasion for the return of the looters who have already struck roughly half the houses on my street.   After having observed a total failure of government at every level for days on end - nay, seemingly days without end - any citizen of the USA, or any other nation in the world for that matter, who opposes the notion of decent Americans enjoying a reasonable Right to Keep and Bear Arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment reveals himself as an utter fool and will only receive contempt from me
for I have seen the proverbial Elephant

Out there, we are strictly on our own without any timely communication for a citizen seeking emergency services extending beyond the sound of his own voice - with the exception of signaling with gunfire, I suppose.  Forget any notion of even filing a police report for there are neither law enforcement patrols nor fire protection services that can be summoned at any time of day.  Should the goblins turn to arson as they so frequently do during episodes of widespread lawlessness, we will be in a jam sure enough.

Just as I predicted, electrical service and communications have been interrupted in the area - but it will be for many, many weeks rather than the few days I foresaw - before any sort of normalization.  My absolute very 'worst-case' projections came much too close to reality for the Crescent City, and my paraphrase of Rudolph Giuliani all too accurate when I said , 'the number of casualties will be more than any of us of can bear'.

What should border on the unbelievable for those at a distance is that if the storm track had been 30 miles more to the west, I suspect we would had suffered tenfold casualties in Louisiana from the unprecedented flooding.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 3:25am

Incredible.

Glad you are alive.

Our prayers are with you.

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 9:38am

Brings William Golding's Lord of the Flies much too close for comfort.  Glad you have survived this far.  Please be prudent, many people need and a lot more enjoy your presence.

I have one bed & airconditioning a little west of you - if interested, e-mail me at thorin at air mail dot net.

thorin

IP Logged

David_L6
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Louisiana

Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 10:10am

Very glad to hear you are OK.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 11:34am

El_Pescador

How wonderful to see your posting!

Quote:
Battening down, but not certain I will run.

I prayed that you had *run*--I'm happy you are still with us--but I do not envy the *hell* that all in that region are facing.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print