Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Symantec Live Technical Support (Read 65639 times)
moocha
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Symantec Live Technical Support
Jun 1st, 2006 at 12:36pm

Brian wrote on May 29th, 2006 at 4:12pm:
moocha,

Did the boot.ini alteration fix your problem?

Yes-see more in new message start

IP Logged

i_am_jim
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2006 at 1:36pm

I just tried their Live chat support.  I was on for about 30 minutes and never got an answer.   It order to begin the chat I had to fill out a bunch of stuff.  I was forced to choose an app from a dropdown that did not include ghost.  I can't remember what app I settled on.  It took me a few minutes before I got a tech, then . .

Here's how it went:
Quote:
Abhishek: Hi, thank you for contacting Symantec Live Technical Support. My name is Abhishek. How may I help you?
jim: I installed Ghost 9 and made a complete image early this week    Now I want to make just an incremental backup but cant figure out how
Abhishek: You wish to perform an incremental backup using Norton Ghost 9.0. Am I correct?
jim: yes
jim: nudge
jim: hello?
jim: ping

I waited about 4-5 minutes  between attempts to wake them up, and finally gave up.

IP Logged

william
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 12:23pm

They (your friend Abhishek and Vimal) were similarly useless when I tried - and they just kept disconnecting after a few minutes.

I purchased the download version of Ghost 10.0 a while ago - however at the time - and now (when I use the order finder on the website) the invoice only has a link to the download of the 45mb application (NG061000IN.exe - which works fine) but *NOT* the ~ 230mb recovery environment .ISO - even though its listed with 'Qty 1' next to it the same as Norton Ghost.

I have opened a support ticket with Symantec about this - however I'd certainly appreciate some kind soul telling me if there's a way I can obtain a copy from somewhere immediately.    I note that on the invoice the price of the software is £39 but the .ISO is £0.00 - and given it presumably can only be used to restore existing recovery points (and the main software requires a license key, which I have as I legitimately bought it) presumably it ought to be freely distributable.

Any help much appreciated..
William

IP Logged

cajun_mike
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 7:19pm

I tried the chat line with a problem with Ghost 9.0.  They had me run the AutoTest Tool (or whatever it's name is), it didn't run, they had me uninstall System Works Priemere and reinstall it (only happened with great difficulty) and of course you've got to reboot which meant I lost that particular tech support guy.  I kept at it getting back in chat with them.  

Long and short of it was they had me uninstall and reinstall 3 times (and that's not trivial!), I spent 7 hours on a beautiful Saturday getting increasingly frustrated, and nothing worked.  When I asked to escalate the problem they transferred me to someone's name who never answered.  They effectively put me on indefinate hold.  I hate Symantic's version of user support.  It is anything but user-friendly. IMHO.

Mike

IP Logged

Dead_Drive
N00b

Essex, UK

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 2:54pm

I tried Live Chat a few days ago for Ghost 2003 and was told they no longer supported it. I argued the toss, saying I had used the product for some time and used others of their products and I felt they should support a product only just 3 years old.
They refused point blank and disconnected.

Unfortunately for them, it means I will now always look for alternative vendors (I will be trying Acronis TrueImage).

Similar experience when PartitionMagic 8.0 wouldn't even read my Server 2003 partitions.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 10:17am

Dead_Drive wrote on Oct 8th, 2006 at 2:54pm:
Similar experience when PartitionMagic 8.0 wouldn't even read my Server 2003 partitions.

Have you udated your PM 8.0 to the latest release?  The latest one is 8.01, Build 1274, which supports all partitions that I have been able to throw at it. 

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Fonk
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:00pm

Quote:
Abhishek: Hi, thank you for contacting Symantec Live Technical Support. My name is Abhishek. How may I help you?
jim: I installed Ghost 9 and made a complete image early this week    Now I want to make just an incremental backup but cant figure out how
Abhishek: You wish to perform an incremental backup using Norton Ghost 9.0. Am I correct?
jim: yes
jim: nudge
jim: hello?

1) Support is bad by symantec. They do not reply to emails.

2) the above is very rude!!!

Read this Symantec:

-> Why do you think people BUY your software?

--> Support!!!!

-> why the hell do you then safe business money and use a BOT!!! for help support ??

This above is a BOT. Yes AI. It is not a person, it is a Robot.

Why would i buy your software? give me one reason?

Yeah i bought your software long time ago, but i will not anymore.

Start learning the way Acronis gives support to its costumers.

Have a look at there forum.
Have a look at how fast they respond to email, even if you do not yet know what to buy.

In a normal computer shop in the city people (buyers) get advice before they buy.

I see not any reason you'r webshop should ignore that.

Trust me i am happy with the bought version of Ghost. But i give your support a -2 out of 100

Using a BOT can make people that are willing to pay for software very angree, please understand that

Thanks

p.s. This Forum is by the way very good! So no bad word of any about this forum!

IP Logged

ollie90680
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Stanton, CA

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:50pm

I used the live chat, got connect within a few minutes and then got told to call their 800# because they were Enterprise Sales. So once again I got the shaft trying to get technical answers from Norton on their products.  Thank God for forums like this to help us poor blokes out.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 10:15pm

ollie90680 wrote on Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:50pm:
I used the live chat, got connect within a few minutes and then got told to call their 800# because they were Enterprise Sales. So once again I got the shaft trying to get technical answers from Norton on their products.  Thank God for forums like this to help us poor blokes out.

In my experience, the live chat is operated from India with a bunch of nice young men/women (which I recognize from their names which are unique to India) with no experience with the software you are talking about and perhaps paid the minimum wage. They take the first opportunity to get rid of you unless you are persistent and may be supervior will come on and may try to give you marginal help. Again I am yet to find someone who has hands on knowledge of the softwhere you are talking about. Once I told them they are parroting a written script and customers are unhappy and need to forward the transcript to their highest levels for a look at fixing the systemic problem of poor support. I do not know what happened and have not yet seen any feedback. Most of the posters here have more indepth knowledge of the software than ten or twenty of the support personnel put together!

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 1:04pm

No success at all with Symantec live chat or email to their <techsupport@symantec.iseva.net>.  Read my waste of time experience over a months attempt to get them to help me.  Hopeless and would never buy another Symantec product.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181181256/0

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=post;num=1126981880;title=PostR...

But again I am appreciative for this forum with help given so enthusiastically which solved my problem entirely.  Was on the verge of uninstalling Ghost 10 prior to finding radified.  Now however all is fine.

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

danyb
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 1:58pm

In my experience, the live chat is operated from India with a bunch of nice young men/women (which I recognize from their names which are unique to India) with no experience with the software you are talking about and perhaps paid the minimum wage.
This is soo right. Also they treat you like a total morron (click on start - then click on computer). They make you send them files and then never come back to you with a solution. They never seem to read the explanation of the problem you started with. They ask you a lot of questions - each time staying away for ages before answering (maybe of to drink a cup of coffee) so that a chat usually takes an hour and without results mostly.
The last experience I had was the most memorable. This was in the Dutch chatroom. I was trying to find out why my startup was taking more time suddenly and in one forum it was suggested that you should download the new version of Symantec live update. As I couldn't find where to download it from I asked this question in the chatroom. After a lot useless questions and no answer to my original question the lady tells me she had had the same problems. So I asked her what she did. She told me she trew Norton of her computer.
Finaly she could tell me where to get the update for my live update.
I do wonder how comes that my live update is bothering me constantly and doesn't deem it necessary to update itself?
I read and hear everywhere that there are free security suits that do not slow your computer down like NIS does. After using Norton for 7 years I am seriously considering trowing it out!!!

IP Logged

janjacobs66
Ex Member

Ghost 9 Update download
Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 7:23am

Hi all,

I have given up on Symantec support a long time ago.

I was hoping there's someone on this forum that can tell me where I can download the ver 9.0.2.3981 update for Ghost 9.

With the standard ver 9.0 on my CD, I can't clone SATA drives. I did however manage to do it in the past, thats when I realised that at the time the update was available via life-update.

I bought ver 10, problem is I have to activate it everytime I need to do a clone.
(I run a small private pc repair service & need to clone clients drives for upgrades etc )

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated

Regards

Edit by NightOwl, 07-22-2007 at approx. 7:30 am:  This is a duplicate question--see here for a discussion of this question:

Ghost 9 Update download

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 2:59pm

John. wrote on Oct 9th, 2006 at 10:17am:
Have you udated your PM 8.0 to the latest release?The latest one is 8.01, Build 1274, which supports all partitions 

How do update pm 8 ?

thank you

alan

IP Logged

staats
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 8:41pm

Dead_Drive wrote on Oct 8th, 2006 at 2:54pm:
I tried Live Chat a few days ago for Ghost 2003 and was told they no longer supported it. I argued the toss, saying I had used the product for some time and used others of their products and I felt they should support a product only just 3 years old.
They refused point blank and disconnected.

Unfortunately for them, it means I will now always look for alternative vendors (I will be trying Acronis TrueImage).

Having spent the better part of 6 weeks with the Acronis version of "Chat Support"  let just say that the experience is identical to that of the person who started this thread.

I never did get the problem they causded resolved and the trial period for their software expired during the middle of all of this. That issue of expired trial period they could not solve PERIOD!

I guess they all suck. That being said this is also a very tough business with all user users having a jillion combinations of hardware and software in use on their machines.

Bob S.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:01am

staats wrote on Dec 29th, 2008 at 8:41pm:
Having spent the better part of 6 weeks with the Acronis version of "Chat Support"let just say that the experience is identical to that of the person who started this thread.

I never did get the problem they causded resolved and the trial period for their software expired during the middle of all of this. That issue of expired trial period they could not solve PERIOD!

I guess they all suck. That being said this is also a very tough business with all user users having a jillion combinations of hardware and software in use on their machines. 

I would have to disagree on that, my experience has been really good with Acronis and they have been very quick in replying to all my queries. But then it cannot be generalized.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print