Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Western Physics vs. Eastern Philosophy (Read 3091 times)
scottr_vn
N00b

Get away from it all...come
to Viet Freakin Nam!

Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam

Western Physics vs. Eastern Philosophy
Oct 13th, 2005 at 4:53am

Another good book: "The Dancing Wu Li Masters"

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Western Physics vs. Eastern Philosophy
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 9:53pm

Thanks.

Linkage for the lurker:

http://www.cygnus-books.co.uk/mind_body_spirit_books/dancing_wu_li_masters.htm

The fact is that physics is not mathematics.

Physics, in essence, is simple wonder at the way things are and a divine (some call it compulsive) interest in how that is so.

Stripped of mathematics, physics becomes pure enchantment. Zukav's widely acclaimed bestseller aims to communicate that enchantment by describing recent developments in advanced physics for those with little or no mathematical or technical knowledge.

The author draws comparisons between quantum mechanics, modern psychology, and eastern thought. Indeed, the book's title is derived from the Chinese ideogram `Wu Li', which carries the meanings `patterns of organic energy'.

I clutch my ideas and enlightenment. In The Dancing Wu Li Masters, Gary Zukav shows how the new physics embraces all of these concepts, conveying the ideas that have revolutionized modern science with rare directness and clarity.

IP Logged

scottr_vn
N00b

Get away from it all...come
to Viet Freakin Nam!

Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam

Re: Western Physics vs. Eastern Philosophy
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 10:23am

I agree!

When do you think physics and mathematics became synonymous to laymen? When did theories and "laws" need to be explaind in such an exclusive language?

Two of my favorite books are Robert M. Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence", and "Lila". He's great at explaining his ideas, as well as tracing current beliefs back in time. He barely touches on physics in "Lila". Any good, non-encyclopediaish books out there about the hisory of western physics?

Hmm....brain candy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print