Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Viet Nam - Post to Rad (& anyone else) (Read 4881 times)
scottr_vn
N00b

Get away from it all...come
to Viet Freakin Nam!

Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam

Viet Nam - Post to Rad (& anyone else)
Oct 20th, 2005 at 11:41am

I would've emailed, but I have a 'disposable' email account, so I'm posting. Hope it's the right place.

Long time reader, first (well really, 3rd) time poster. Luv yer stuff. Started reading about 5 years ago when I needed to re-setup, tweak, backup my system for video editing (and DVD copying. I can't buy un-pirated DVDs here, so it's OK. Isn't it? Hmm...that's probably another topic to post.). Blah, blah, blah...

Down in the dumps? Rat-race gettin to ya? Wanna wonder how third world, communist oppressed, dirt-poor, uneducated, seemingly assbackwards people can be so happy? Like adventure? Gorgeous scenery? Don't need/want 5-star comfort (even in the best hotels!)? Come to Viet Nam! (I know...sounds like an ad on CNN.)

I was gonna start a web site, but none of my friends seem to have any interest in this place. Been here almost 8 years, and I'll never go back to the states to live again! (But I do miss South Coast Plaza, the view from Griffith Observatory, an In'N'Out Double Double with grilled onions...Oh well.)

If other tech-geeks (and damn proud of it!) are interested, I'll post my email address, and maybe create a site. If not, I'll shut up and just go back to wondering why Symantec isn't paying Rad!  Wink

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Viet Nam - Post to Rad (& anyone else)
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 7:14pm

No In-N-Out?!!?? Say whaaaat?  Cheesy

South Coast Plaza .. yeah, I'm heading there later today.

I *have* wondered about how people in 3rd world countries deal with depressing things (life) .. which is why I feel my case is mostly "biological". Comparitively, it makes me feel like a wimpy non-hacker .. cuz they endure so much worse conditions.

You could start a nice little site. I will give you a plug. Travel ads pay good.

The disposable email accts pertain to people I don't know (not you).

IP Logged

pastotnikr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 9:54am

I'm a little confused ... If you're so "in Love" with Viet Nam ... why do you show "Get away from it all...come to Viet Freakin Nam!" in your greeting?????

Sounds like you're pretty content over there, but you're label hardly indicates you'd be a good spokesman. I doubt your web site would attract many ads from travel agencies with that moniker Why not give the country its' due and reflect in your greeting what you appear to feel (based on the content of your message)?

With that said ... where are you at, where have you been? I visit my wife's family in Viet Nam every other year. They live in Binh Phuoc province, near the Cambodian border. The area is pretty technology deplete ... I guess that's why I really enjoy my visits. Let's me get away from the rat race.

I would Love to hear more about your experiences. If you'd like to trade stories post an email address.

IP Logged

scottr_vn
N00b

Get away from it all...come
to Viet Freakin Nam!

Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 6:37pm

It's a joke. You know, like in "Forest Gump" and other VN war movies: "Viet-F***en-Nam". My greeting is only for other RadHeads. And when I do get off my butt and set up a web site, I assure you that it will be brutally honest, yet postive.

Since you've been here, you have to admit that this place isn't for everyone! I've met many people who just couldn't live here. I love it here! But I also love backpacking, mountain climbing, skydiving, scuba, etc. I seem to be more comfortable when I'm uncomfortable. I'd like to be able to help those feel the same, and disuade those who really wouldn't have a good time in Viet Freakin Nam! Grin

I'm in Ho Chi Minh City. My e-mail address is scottr_vn@yahoo.com.

IP Logged

Bruce
Dude

The hurrier i go the behinder
i get.

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 4:26pm

I'd be interested in hearing about viet nam, I've never been there but it played a hugh role in my life.

IP Logged

Ronmar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 11:49pm

I spent  one heck of a year touring Vietnam and a bit of Cambodia.  Most of the people were wonderful; the rest were trying to kill me.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the time-frame of my tour was 1969/70 and that I was a first lieutenant of infantry.

I obviously made it but six of my OCS classmates did not.  When they flew out of Tonsuhnut (sp?) AFB, Saigon, not Ho Chi Minh City,  they were in "cold metal caskets." Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print