HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ghost 10 v ghost 2003 (Read 3199 times)
generaljohn
Ex Member

ghost 10 v ghost 2003
Nov 28th, 2005 at 6:38am

I use ghost 2003 with window’s xp  painful as I have reboot every time I do a restore

I have lots off ghost 2003 back up files for different schools pc’s when something goes wrong I just restore with ghost on a external USB hard drive I got ghost 9 cannot use any of my ghost files so went back to 2003

Can any one tell if I buy ghost 10 will I be able to use my 2003 files
Thank you

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: ghost 10 v ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 11:57am

generaljohn

Ghost 9.x and 10.x are completely different from previous Ghost versions--and Ghost 2003 files will *never* be compatible under Ghost 9.x or 10.x.

But, Ghost 9.x (and presumably 10.x) has a *crippled* version of Ghost 8.x--the Corp cousin to Ghost 2003--that can run under WinXP.

It's on the *Recovery Disk*, the file name is *RESTOREGHOST.EXE*, and is found in this directory on my Ghost 9.x *Recovery Disk*--*X:\I386\START\ADVANCED\EN*.

It's *crippled* in that it will not allow for making Ghost image backups--but it will allow for image restores.  It's designed to run when you boot to the *Recovery Environment* from the *Recovery Disk*--it's in the *Advanced* recovery utilities under *Restore Legacy Ghost Image*, or something to that effect.

You can copy the *RESTOREGHOST.EXE* to your WinXP system form the *Recovery Disk*, run it under WinXP and use it from there to restore any previous Ghost 2003 images.  This Ghost version will not run as a stand-alone program from a DOS boot.  

I suspect, you can only use this program from a boot to the *Recovery Environment* if you are trying to restore the partition with the OS on it--because you can not restore the active OS partition that you are running the Ghost program from.  But, if you are accessing the images from a network source, and restoring it to a networked destination HDD that is not the OS partition you are currently running the Ghost program from--it could probably work.

Hope this helps with what you are trying to accomplish--what you may really need is the Corp. or Enterprise versions of Ghost to allow for more flexibility in using Ghost in a multi-pc environment.  The consumer versions of Ghost (2003, 9.x, 10.x) were not designed to make it *easy* for a large network of computers.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

generaljohn
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 5:36am

Thank you i have been trying to get this info from sysmantec for over a year now I will give it a try

Being greedy now

Is there any way on converting all my image files to a new version  or is a case of restoring each one then making new backups

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 11:01am

generaljohn

I've not seen any reference to *converting* Ghost 2003 image files to Ghost 9.x or 10.x format--as far as I know, you would have to re-image each system to get the new Ghost format.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print