Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10: Identification of Recovery Point Sets (Read 12551 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10: Identification of Recovery Point Set
Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 11:17pm

Sorry for the misinformation.  You're correct.  Look on page 50 of the Ghost manual.  In all my uses of Ghost 10, I always selected the option "Independent Recovery Point" so that I am in control of the images, not Ghost.

>>
Recovery point set
Creates a base recovery point with additional recovery points that contain only incremental changes made to your computer since the creation of the base recovery point.

Incremental recovery points are created faster than the first (base) recovery point and use less storage space than an independent recovery point. If the Recovery Point Set option is disabled, it is because you have already assigned a selected drive to an existing recovery point set and you can only have one recovery point set defined for each drive. Or, you might have selected an unmounted drive that cannot be part of a recovery point set.

Independent recovery point
Creates a complete, independent copy of the drives you selected.  This backup type requires more storage space.
>>

For Ghost to manage a recovery back to a point in time, I'm guessing that the software can only keep track of the catalog with one drive.

All this is new in Ghost 10.  Ghost 9 was in essence DriveImage 8.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 12:40am

John. wrote on Dec 5th, 2005 at 11:17pm:
Sorry for the misinformation.  You're correct.  Look on page 50 of the Ghost manual.  In all my uses of Ghost 10, I always selected the option "Independent Recovery Point" so that I am in control of the images, not Ghost.

>>
Recovery point set
Creates a base recovery point with additional recovery points that contain only incremental changes made to your computer since the creation of the base recovery point.

Incremental recovery points are created faster than the first (base) recovery point and use less storage space than an independent recovery point. If the Recovery Point Set option is disabled, it is because you have already assigned a selected drive to an existing recovery point set and you can only have one recovery point set defined for each drive. Or, you might have selected an unmounted drive that cannot be part of a recovery point set.

Independent recovery point
Creates a complete, independent copy of the drives you selected.  This backup type requires more storage space.
>>

For Ghost to manage a recovery back to a point in time, I'm guessing that the software can only keep track of the catalog with one drive.

All this is new in Ghost 10.  Ghost 9 was in essence DriveImage 8.

Ghost 10 has been the subject, don't care what earlier versions did.

Not having a separate catalog for each recovery point set was just a bad design decision.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 6:00pm

Have you ever looked at Symantec's LiveState Recovery Desktop?

http://www.symantec.com/small_business/products/backup_recovery/lsrdt30/features...

I've never used it, and I'm not sure how the desktop version compares with Ghost.  Please inform us all if you know--and also if it verifies the contents of the backups and also if it allows multiple recovery points per volume in the catalogue.

The server version of course is quite a bit more expensive.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print