Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new with big issue with GHOST (Read 16326 times)
topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

new with big issue with GHOST
Dec 18th, 2005 at 3:33pm

hey guys, ibeen looking for someone to help me with ghost for quite some time now...the problem i'm having maybe very simple but it's crazy for me

i have win xp, and itwont start, i remember my friend putting ghost and he did recover the image for me last time my computer went down, and now i can't remember exactly what he did, i have the boot disk and when i put it, it takes to ms dos and put A:/ and that's about it, this is where im stuck, i remember him putting a D drive and i was putting all my important infos on that drive, just in case i need to restore the image, but i dont know the process AT ALL, i put ghost.exe, nothing happens, can anyone tell me exactly the process on restoring my comp the way it was few months ago when i took the last image. im stuck with my old computer and trust me it takes me ages to get to this page, thanx

IP Logged

JimmyDean

Re: new with big issue with GHOST
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 4:12pm

It's unclear what your problem is. When you say "i have win xp, and it wont start," do you mean ghost won't start or winxp won't start?

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 4:15pm

win xp starts but it freezes, i had it for a while now, and i have ghost but honestly, i do not know which one it is though, my win xp, but i don't even know how to start ghost, i know i have it and also the boot disk
when i put the boot disk, it goes to ms dos and this is what it says
A:/ and ask me to put something
i know my friend put something like ghost exe or something but i know how to start to recover the image i took few months ago

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 4:27pm

but the big problem is, win xp goes to where its trying to load and then it stops, out of no where
so i was thinking about recovering my image since i had almost the same problem as im having now, win xp not starting properly

I dont know much about GHOST though, i have 2 drives i remember, first one was c: and the other one was  the D drive, that's the one that everytime i recover my image had all my things...but i didnt do all this, my friend did it and i can't get a hold of him.

i wanna know how to start the ghost, i dont know the process at all, that's what im saying...

i put it the boot disk, it says A:/ whenever i type ghost.exe, it says incorrect or invalid command

IP Logged

Poncho

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 5:04pm

Do you want to create or restore an image?

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 5:06pm

restore image

IP Logged

AlanX

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 7:44pm

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 8:26pm

thanx for the reply guys, but i went there today to that link and i can't even get to this spot.

1: Select (carefully) Local -> Partition -> From Image [screen shot]. If you were going to restore an entire physical hard disk, you would replace 'Partition' with 'Disk'.

i know i gotta be there, but when i reboot my pc with the disk, it asks A:/, and asking me to type something, should i type ghost.exe or what? what do i gotta type to get to get to the partition place (above)

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 8:28pm

the link you gave me says

After booting to DOS with the boot floppy, execute ghost.exe from either the floppy or the location on your hard disk

how do i excute ghost.exe from the floppy disk, i know my friend did it that way because i saw him typing it, i can't believe i didnt write all that stuff down

should i just type ghost.exe ,when it says A:/ or should i type dir ghost.exe, or run ghost.exe, what is the command????

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 1:06am

topnotch

The first step is to find *ghost.exe*.

At the A:\ prompt, type *
dir
*, and then press enter--this will show the directory(s) (also called sub-directories) and files present on the floppy in the A:\ dirve.

If there is a *sub-directory* labeled *Ghost*, then *ghost.exe* may be in that sub-directory--to change to a sub-directory in DOS, type *
cd
directoryname*, and then press enter.  Then use the *dir* command to see what's in that sub-directory.

If you want to go back up one directory, type *
cd..
*, and press enter.

If you do not find *ghost.exe* on the floppy disk, maybe it's on the D:\ partition where the image is saved.  In DOS, to change to a different partition, type *
d:
* and enter.  Now type the *dir* command and see what's there.

Results?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 3:00am

hey NightOwl

i did what you said and this is what i found
when i did the dir on the floppy disk, there wasn't any file ghost or ghost.exe
but i typed  d: and i put dir, there was 2 files
one was GHOST and the other was my docu~, (i believe its my documents), and i remember putting all my important things on my documents on the D drive, now exactly what should i do to run the ghost.exe file, thanx for the reply, i feel like im close on getthing this done...

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 3:05am

NightOwl

this is what i did afterwards

d:
it says GHOST
so i did cd ghost
and then it says d:ghost\ something like that
so i put ghost.exe
and it brought to the norton ghost main page
and it says norton ghost 2003 and there was an ok there, now i dont know how to restore the image, where exactly should i go now?????thanx again

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 11:04am

topnotch

Okay!--I said finding *ghost.exe* was the first step--you have learned and used some bacic DOS commands--good work!

Now--you can do real and permanent damage if you go and restore an image to the *wrong* place--so the questions are--

1.  do you understand how to use Ghost--if *no*, read throught Rad's guide to using Ghost--it takes a while, but read it carefully and understand what it says, and why!

2.  how is your system set up?  

You have already stated that your *Documents* are stored on the D:\ partition--but, are you going to loose anything you will regret if you restore an image that you said was 6 months (?) old--because, if your OS is on C:\, and you restore the *image* of C:\ that is from 6 months ago, then everything you may have added to C:\ in the last 6 months will be gone--permanently, until you add it back again--if you can!

So, you need to know for sure that this is what you want to do.

3.  So, once you open Ghost, you will need to find the image file--any idea what the name is?

You click on *Local > Partition > from Image*, and this brings up the *select the source image file* routine.  If you have more than one drive, you first select the drive, then the partition (drive letter), and then the directory where the image is saved.

Once you find the ghost image file (it should be like this--imagefilename.gho), you select it as the source by highliteing it, and then click *open*.

Let's stop there--report your progress--and have you considered what is said above--are you prepared to procede?!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 11:40am

hey Nightowl

i read the whole guide and i know that if you go back you basicly lose everything you did afterwards but i think that's ok, i have 5 or 6 cd that i backed up all my projects, the only thing on that c drive since few months is a third of a project but i know it by heart so i should be ok

this is what happened when i did what you said, im not that familiar with ghost but i guess im getting there

i found the *gho file, it was the d drive, there was 2 files
IMAGE 1~
BACKUP.GHO and the size of the one was around 586 MB cuz it says 586,898,458,  when i clicked on it and said open
it says PRIMARY  FAT32, so i stopped it there, i believe this is the image i wanna get back, since i put most of my things on that d drive so im not too worried about the c drive since i backed up alot of the projects on it...thanx again for the help

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 4:10pm

topnotch

You said there were *two* files--but I didn't follow the names you reported in the last post--could you report the exact names?

Have you created only the one Ghost backup that you know of?  If *yes* then these two files are probably a spanned image file set--the first should be *xxxxx.gho* and the second should be *xxxxx001.ghs*--the *s* is for *spanned* file.

Before you restore, it would be good to test the *integrity* of the image--start Ghost, select *Local > Check > Image File*, navigate to the image file and select it, then select to proceed with image integrity check.

The results?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print