Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003-Integrity check quits mid-test (Read 4697 times)

Ghost 2003-Integrity check quits mid-test
Jan 16th, 2006 at 6:20pm

I have been working with Ghost 2003 with great help from this site.  I thought I had it all figured out but have run into a problem.  I have saved my dual partition C drive image of about 8 gb on my thinkpad to a mapped network drive on another desktop machine.  I successfully created a Ghost mapped network boot diskette.  I also created the Ghost.exe file on the mapped network drive.  The image seemed to be created properly.  With Ghost explorer I can view all of the relevant files.  I have tried to check the image with an integrity check using both the ghost.exe file on the mapped drive and the ghost software on the Thinkpad.  During the integrity check it just stops at anywhere from 1.8gb to 2.5gb into the integrity check process. The integrity check fails at random points.  Failing the check image test I am at a loss to figure out what is wrong and how to fix the problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost 2003-Integrity check quits mid-test
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 6:59pm

If possible--place the image file set on a partition that's on a local machine--boot to DOS on that local machine and run the integrity test locally instead of over a networked drive--will it pass the integrity test now?  (This helps rule out an image problem vs a network problem.)

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 12:43am

Thanks for your thoughts.  I copied the ghost file from the mapped network drive onto one of the Thinkpad partitions and ran the Ghost integrity check from the Ghost windows menu on the Thinkpad.  I received a successful integrity check leading me to believe that the ghost image appears to be properly created. 

The thoughts about the problem being a network problem is difficult for me to diagnose.   The Ghost boot mapped drive network diskette successfully saved the image to the mapped network drive using the ghost.exe file saved on the mapped network drive.  Why it will not sucessfully complete the integrity check using ghost.exe on the mapped drive or using the ghost program on the Thinkpad is a mystery to me.  It is almost as if the ghost.exe integrity check is timing out as it runs through its test restoration of the image.  Another thought, and I am over my head on this, some function in the Thinkpad bios invovling the Thinkpad's sleep states or power management is somehow suspending the running of the ghost.exe integrity check on the Thinkpads hard drive.  Any thoughts would be helpful.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 2:52am

The integrity test runs much faster than the creation of an image--I'm suspecting that the network timing is off just enough to cause a break in continuity!?

Any power management feature should be disabled/suspended until done with Ghosting.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 3:16am

Nightowl thanks for your coaching!  I have solved the problem.  The solution is Thinkpad specific but has general application consistent with your comment to review power management functions in the system bios.  In the Thinkpad Bios I found an entry under the power management menu termed "supend timer".  It was set to 5 minutes.  Apparently the running of Ghost integrity check does not toll the timer for this function and after 5 minutes the hard drive was placed in suspend mode, terminating the operation of the Ghost program.  Changing the time from 5 minutes to 30 minutes cured the problem and allowed the Ghost integrity check to fully complete itself.  I also identified another setting in the same bios area that instructs the machine to "hibernate" instead of "suspend" when it  times out.  By selecting the "hibernate" alternative the hard drive did not stop working and suspend the execution of the ghost integrity check.  Apparently Hibernate simply powers off the LCD display to conserve power. I tested both changes independently and they both cure the problem.  With the bios changes, the Ghost Drive Mapping solution described on page 15 of Rad's guide successfully performed exactly as scripted.  Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 9:36am

Thanks for the feedback--it helps us all learn!  Glad you found the source of the problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print