Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10...Does it save MBR & Partition Table (Read 15759 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10...Does it save MBR & Partition Ta
Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 5:28pm

Quote:
Also, I would say that any Ghost Images should be set up so that they are STILL accessable even with MBR/PartitionTable problems which prevent me from having access to my 2nd physical drive as XP just does not start.

As I understand your original problem description, I don't agree with your statement there.  The Ghost Images ARE still accessable.  That is what the Ghost Recovery CD is for--so that you can boot from it and then recover your system from the Ghost Image stored on your 2nd physical drive.  The reason you said you didn't want to was:

Quote:
All this to say that if I am able to Restore the Ghost Image, I will have lost  12 days of work....  Ideally, I am looking for a way to restore the MBR and Partition Table by themselves to preserve "those last 12 days" of data.

The reason you are trying to repair your corrupted partition table is that your backup is 12 days old.  If you wanted to use the Ghost backup (or it if were only 1 day old) you could restore it using the Recovery boot CD easily.

Did I misread your conclusion?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:43am

olamoree

You mentioned wanting to find a *second* or *backup copy* of the boot sector--maybe this will help:

How to Recover From a Corrupt NTFS Boot Sector

Quote:
MORE INFORMATION

The
Windows NT version 3.xx file system keeps a duplicate copy of the NTFS boot sector at the logical center of the volume
whereas
Windows NT version 4.0 keeps a duplicate copy at the end of the partition
The Norton Utilities
DiskEdit
program can help find the duplicate boot sector and restore it over the original boot sector. You may be able to recover one NTFS partition for each hard disk or multiple NTFS and FAT-combination partitions for each hard disk.

Also, has this been mentioned:

How to Recover Lost or Deleted Partitions

Try this search:  
recover boot sector

This site talks about a *dynamic disk*, but mentions two Microsoft tools that may help--*dskprobe.exe*, and *dmdiag.exe*:

How can I recover a deleted dynamic NTFS or FAT32 volume in Windows XP or Windows 2000?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Stallcup
Dude

Southern California

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 3:58am

Pursuant to NightOwl's suggestion, the following link provides information regarding Boot Disks with Symantec's Norton Utilities (NU) DiskEdit program:

http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/DOS/bd98/SD1.htm

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 8:47pm

Hi Guys,  Sorry for the lapse in replies, but I have not been asleep!  I have been "fooling around" with this problem and to update you, I did follow advice and work ONLY with the affected HDD in the system, with not much progress, except that Partition Table Invalid! isn't the message now.  I am getting Invalid System Disk, put in system disk and press enter.   Now, I have reinstalled the formerly 3rd physical HDD and viola, the boot is instantaneous (as opposed to 5 minutes with the single drive) and altho I am not yet out of the woods, I CAN, from the multibood screen (you will recall that there is a Primary XP Install and a Parallel XP Install) select either install or the Restore Console, BUT only the Parallel XP Install will boot.... and it is bare naked with NO programs installed, but it DOES allow me to see/access any files/data on either of the HDDs.... however, when selecting the original XP Install, with the splash screen /sos-ed, I see that the drive letters are listed, and the drives are declared clean, then the cursor appear as if the desktop is going to load, but then there is an error box that flashes by SO quickly that even after 50 reboots, I can only pick out part of what it says, which is, "Not enough memory...... or ...... page file quota is not available....... " and that's all I can get!  Memory?  two 512 DDR333 Muskin sticks with no errors.  That cryptic statement is now the object of my search for its remedy....  Anybody seen that before?  Know what is means?  How to fix it?  Thanks again for your patience.

P.S.  I have been looking at MBR Wizard and may give it a try after getting some questions confirmed by the author.

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 12:22pm

Update:  The error message that I couldn't seem to read, right after the disks are declared "clean" is:  "Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation."  Which MS says is a Win2k Executive Status Error.  Now I would be required to edit the Registry while this Install of XP will NOT open.... so, any ideas?  I have checked, and the Registry for the Parallel XP Install is DIFFERENT from the Original XP Install, so I now must have two Registrys.... how to get to the Original one and what to do to make this Executive Status Error go away...... that is the question.

Meanwhile, WINXP2, my Paralled XP Installation is working like a champ.   I notice that SOME of my old programs, when reinstalled from my Program Archive (NOT Program Files) grab my old data from "where ever" and put it in the new install just like old times.... but not so with OE, it can't find anything to Import......

STILL trying to see drive letters on the NTFS drive that shows up in BIOS and Control Panel but in DiskManagement shows "Unallocated"... Any ideas on how to get it to show it's two partitions and let me at my data?  Thanks guys, hate to be such a bother, but I am trying......

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print