HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Compression (Read 11174 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Ghost Compression
Feb 11th, 2006 at 12:33pm

The degree of compression achieved with a Ghost 9/Ghost 10 image may be determined at any time using the following procedure with Windows Explorer.
  • Step 1:  Navigate to the file containing the recovery point (e.g., C_Drive.v2i), and record its size (denoted by 'X').
  • Step 2:  Mount the image by right-clicking the file name (e.g., C_Drive.v2i) and choose “Mount”.
  • Step 3:  Right-click the name of the drive from Step 2 and select “Properties” to display the Used Space (denoted by 'Y').
    • Note:  For a more accurate compression estimate, subtract the size of \Hiberfil.sys and \Pagefile.sys, since these two files are only represented by ‘placeholders’ in the Ghost 9/Ghost 10 in the recovery point (Norton Ghost 10.0 User’s Guide, page 57).
  • Step 4:  The quantity 100*(1-X/Y) yields the percent compression.
To retrieve the compression level (e.g., High/Medium/Standard/None) that was used by Ghost 9/Ghost 10, open the recovery point using the Recovery Point Browser, select the recovery point (not the name of the drive) and view its properties (i.e., File -> Properties menu).

Symantec estimates the following levels of compression (Norton Ghost 10.0 User’s Guide, pages 61-62):
  • Standard:  40%
  • Medium:  45%
  • High:  50%

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost Compression
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:50pm

Nice formula Pleo.

Removing the pagefile from the C drive used space gives a compression of 49%. I used High compression. Being lazy and not removing the pagefile gives a compression pf 53%. As you point out, the former figure is more accurate.

I don't use hibernation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print