Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Automatically Restore Ghost Image From Network (Read 2230 times)
Bicky

Automatically Restore Ghost Image From Network
Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:23am

LAN Details
1 Windows 2000 Server DC
1 Windows 2000 Member Server
20 Windows 2000 Prof Clients

All clients has 20gb HD with 3 partitions. Ive created and saved the ghost image of C: drive of the clients in the Member Server's shared folder.

I use network boot disk to restore the image by accessing the shared folder where image was saved. Ive heard that if i add a ghost command line switch to the network boot disks batch file it will auto restore the image.

I dont no how the cmd switch works, i checked the manual and tried this line.
ghost.exe -clone,mode=restore,src=image_c.GHO,dst=1:1 -sure

Now after the restore i can see that all the partitions of the clients has been deleted. It has restored as whole 20gb as 1 partition.

Anybody there using this Autorestore method with cmd switches please help me....will be greatful.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Automatically Restore Ghost Image From Network
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:21am

Bicky

Your command line's *mode=restore* means restore whatever image that's indicated as source to the entire destination disk--filling it--as you have described.  So, this would be *image to disk* restore.

I believe, if you want Ghost to only restore *partition to partition*, leaving the rest of the destination disk as is, you need to use *mode=prestore*.

And, even though your source image file may be of only 1 partition, if I read the FAQ correctly, you still need to indicate which partition you are restoring from the source image file for correct syntax--so, by default, a single partition image file will have only *1* partition, and the syntax is:   *,src=image_c.GHO:1,*.

Resources for the above:

Switches: Cloning

and the Ghost 2003 User's Guide:  *Clone Switch Useage*, page 166, download here: 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/manuals/ghost2003...

P.S.--looks like Ghost terminology has been changed over time:

*load* = restore
*dump*= create
*pload* = prestore
*pdump*= pcreate

Apparently both old and new switch names will work interchangeably!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print