Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
GHOST32.EXE: No More Recalcitrant USB 2.0 HDDs ? (Read 52207 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

GHOST32.EXE: No More Recalcitrant USB 2.0 HDDs ?
Apr 3rd, 2006 at 12:22am

El_Pescador wrote on Jul 20th, 2005 at 10:46pm:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/El_Pescador/Porgy.jpg

"... I seemed to have inadvertently backed into a consuming hobby of mounting internal HDDs - both IDE and SATA - in external enclosure kits.  Each of my six external enclosures cost less than $100 USD delivered, with five of those six costing less than $50.

As to outfitting them, the incredible rebates on HDDs in recent months have allowed me buy a 60GB IDE Maxtor Diamondmax for $19, an 80GB IDE Western Digital Caviar SE for $20, a 160GB IDE Seagate Barracuda for $40, a 160GB IDE Maxtor Diamondmax for $59, and a 160GB SATA NCQ Seagate Barracuda for $70 (all prices after MIRs and excluding either sales tax on store price or shipping fees from online orders).

Although USB 2.0 is far from being my choice for linking a PC to an external HDD - whether "purpose-built" like my new Iomega 80GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive or an enclosure kit - the fact remains that a lot of folks either already have USB devices or have circumstances where USB is the only practical alternative.  

Such being the case, I - like
Jake
and
Elwood
- am on a mission to unravel the mysteries of mastering the use of Norton Ghost 2003 with recalcitrant USB external HDDs.  And so far, I have indeed uncovered some pretty wacky stuff..."

El_Pescador wrote on Jul 28th, 2005 at 8:57pm:
"... Behold a device that previously could only conduct Norton Ghost 2003 operations at speeds slower than USB 1.1!  This device is cranky regardless of whether the USB 2.0 ports emanate from the Dell Dimension 8300 systemboard or from a NEC-compliant SIIG NN2660 PCI-to-USB 2.0/Firewire 400/FireWire 800 Combo Host Controller Adapter Card.  Without NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine, it borders on being just about useless with DOS-based Norton Ghost 2003..."  

216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/176/176523/folders/122427/1388348ME320pic.jpg

El_Pescador wrote on Jul 30th, 2005 at 2:07pm:
"... When using the USB 2.0 ports that emanate from the systemboard of my Dell Dimension 8300, there was absolutely nothing I could do to enable this cranky Bytecc external enclosure kit to conduct Norton Ghost 2003 operations at USB 2.0 speeds while using the Norton/Iomega drivers extracted from Guest.exe (see first image below) regardless of file system format - FAT32 or NTFS - employed on the external drive.

In fact,
when sticking strictly to the NTFS format, even NightOwl's Panasonic Universal UBS Driver routine was rendered useless with all three versions of Usbaspi.sys
(see second image below).   The ALi M5621 High-Speed USB 2.0 IDE Bridge Chipset/Device Controller utilized by Bytecc in the ME-320U2 is as about as far from being friendly with Norton Ghost 2003 as any such device I have encountered - and my personal stable is now up to six external enclosure kits and one "purpose-built" external HDD..."  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/El_Pescador/EHCIe.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/El_Pescador/NTFS320.jpg

Using GHOST32.EXE (aka RESTOREGHOST.EXE) in three different modes
while working in XP - not DOS
, I repeatedly performed successful Integrity Checks on a Ghost 2003 "disk-to-image" Backup set comprised of 2GB *.gho and *.GHS files residing in a FAT32 partition on the very Bytecc ME-320U2 discussed above.  Essentially, I used components of Norton Ghost 8.2 derived from my Norton Ghost 10.0 CD to do so in the following manners: (1) booting from a ReatogoPE bootable CD in my CD-ROM drive, I merely opened RESTOREGHOST.EXE residing as a file on a CD in my DVD burner; (2) booting from my MASTER HDD into XP, once again I opened RESTOREGHOST.EXE residing on the same CD residing this time in my CD-ROM drive; and (3) booting from my Norton Ghost 10.0 CD, I performed the Integrity Check by following 'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'.

Working in the Ghost 8.2 mode described in (3) above, I completed a successful Norton Ghost "partition-to-image" Backup procedure this evening on my Iomega USB 80GB external HDD which is formatted solely FAT32.  Tomorrow, I intend to perform a series of full-scale Norton Ghost "disk-to-image" Backup operations on the alternate NTFS partition of the 120GB Seagate IDE HDD mounted in the Bytecc ME-320U2 external enclosure kit.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: GHOST32.EXE: No More Recalcitrant USB 2.0 HDDs
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:06am

El_Pescador, it may be the case that the availability of Ghost 8.2 (GHOST32.EXE aka RESTOREGHOST.EXE on the Ghost 10 product CD) running in Windows (XP or PE) solves many of the USB/FireWire hardware issues that plagued Ghost 2003 in DOS.  Your tests will be quite instructive and valuable.

Although Ghost 10 continues to be my primary image backup solution, I now use Ghost 8.2 about every other week to make an image backup.  In this way, I have redundancy across applications (Ghost 10 / Ghost 8.2) in order to protect against any application-level issues that might unexpectedly arise.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:52pm

To expound on my original post above, let me clearly state that although I was using GHOST32.EXE (aka RESTOREGHOST.EXE) in three different modes I was truly working in Windows XP - not DOS - in only one of them.  The other two instances took place in CD-based Windows Preinstall Environments (PE).

Admittedly, successful Integrity Checks can be conducted in all three modes on Symantec Norton Ghost 2003 "disk-to-image" Backup sets comprised of 2GB *.gho and *.GHS files residing in either FAT32 or NTFS partitions on external HDDS.  However, readily accomplishing either a Ghost "partition-to-image" Backup procedure or a Ghost "disk-to-image" Backup procedure while in the Ghost 8.2 mode can only be done in a Windows Preinstall Environment where the MASTER HDD is "not-in-the-loop".

Parenthetically, let me report that today I used the PE feature of the bootable Norton Ghost 10.0 CD to successfully perform a full-scale Norton Ghost "disk-to-image" Backup procedure of the MASTER HDD (SATA) on my Dell Dimension 8100 - followed by a clean Integrity Check - onto the alternate NTFS partition of the 120GB Seagate IDE HDD mounted in my Bytecc ME-320U2 USB 2.0 external enclosure kit.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 10:43pm

EP, is there a speed difference between using DOS or a Preinstalled Environment in writing the image to a USB HD?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:36pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:52pm:
Backup procedure or a Ghost "disk-to-image" Backup procedure while in the Ghost 8.2 mode can only be done in a Windows Preinstall Environment where the MASTER HDD is "not-in-the-loop".

Just a small additional use. If you have two WinXP partitions on the same HD then you can image the hidden WinXP partition from the active WinXP partition using Ghost32.exe. A type of warm imaging if you like.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 9:42am

El_Pescador, a few questions:
  • What do you mean by “where the MASTER HDD is ‘not-in-the-loop’” when you said:  “However, readily accomplishing either a Ghost 'partition-to-image' Backup procedure or a Ghost 'disk-to-image' Backup procedure while in the Ghost 8.2 mode can only be done in a Windows Preinstall Environment where the MASTER HDD is ‘not-in-the-loop’”?
  • If a user is creating an image of one physical hard disk drive with two partitions, what are the advantages/disadvantages of performing two Partition-to-Image operations in Ghost 8.2 versus one Disk-to-Image operation?
  • Have you observed any differences in using Ghost 8.2 from the ReatogoPE bootable CD versus from the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD?
Thanks for your assistance.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 8:14pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 10:43pm:
"... is there a speed difference between using DOS or a Preinstalled Environment in writing the image to a USB HD?..."
Pleonasm wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 9:42am:
"... Have you observed any differences in using Ghost 8.2 from the ReatogoPE bootable CD versus from the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD?..."

Please forgive my inattention, but I just came back in town to be faced with having to 'cannibalize' one of my 'deep-mothballed' Dell Dimension PCs in order to bring my single active Dimension fully back into service.  Regrettably, it may be some time before I can offer any cogent answers.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 12:39am

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 10:43pm:
"... is there a speed difference between using DOS or a Preinstalled Environment in writing the image to a USB HD?..."
Pleonasm wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 9:42am:
"... Have you observed any differences in using Ghost 8.2 from the ReatogoPE bootable CD versus from the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD?..."

Slowly patching things back together, so here goes:

Bytecc ME-320U2 USB enclosure - 120GB Seagate IDE HDD - NTFS Virtual Drive J: (60GB)
  • Ghost 2003 Backup of FAT32 Virtual Drive G: required
    00:08:45
    in "Windows-to-DOS-to-Windows" mode utilizing Panasonic USB drivers (stock Norton/Iomega USB drivers won't work with ME-320U2)
  • Ghost 8.2 Backup of FAT32 Virtual Drive G: required
    00:11:13
    booting from Norton Ghost 10.0 CD's Preinstalled Environment
  • My prototype ReatogoPE CD cannot see Virtual Drive G: on physical MASTER 120GB Maxtor SATA HDD, so SATA drivers will have to be added as time goes by

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:53am

Update to above results:

Bytecc ME-320U2 USB enclosure - 120GB Seagate IDE HDD - NTFS Virtual Drive J: (60GB)[/size]
    00:08:45
    in "Windows-to-DOS-to-Windows" mode utilizing Panasonic USB drivers (stock Norton/Iomega USB drivers won't work with ME-320U2)
  • Ghost 8.2 Backup of FAT32 Virtual Drive G: required
    00:11:13
    booting from Norton Ghost 10.0 CD's Preinstalled Environment
  • My prototype ReatogoPE CD cannot see Virtual Drive G: on physical MASTER 120GB Maxtor SATA HDD, so SATA drivers will have to be added as time goes by
    00:08:44
    in floppy-based DOS "Disaster Recovery Diskette" mode modified to utilize Panasonic USB drivers (stock Norton/Iomega USB drivers won't work with ME-320U2)

EP

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 12:12pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:53am:
Update to above results:
Bytecc ME-320U2 USB enclosure - 120GB Seagate IDE HDD -- NTFS Virtual Drive J: (60GB)

How did Windows XP / Ghost 10 compare to your other results?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 2:04pm

Quote:
"... How did Windows XP / Ghost 10 compare to your other results?..."

I am not sure that I understand the question, but be advised that I have no intention of ever using Norton Ghost 10.0 in the Windows XP mode - instead, I choose to use the Ghost 8.2 aspect in a Preinstalled Environment for situations where Ghost 2003 is troublesome, i.e., USB host/device controller issues and such.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 2:54pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 2:04pm:
I am not sure that I understand the question, but be advised that I have no intention of ever using Norton Ghost 10.0 in the Windows XP mode

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your previous posts.  I thought you were trying to compare performance and features of different versions of Ghost, and just wondered how Ghost 10 compared to the other versions in terms of speed and recognition of your USB drives.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 3:06pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:53am:
  • My prototype ReatogoPE CD cannot see Virtual Drive G: on physical MASTER 120GB Maxtor SATA HDD, so SATA drivers will have to be added as time goes by

• EP, you should be able to add SATA drivers by pressing F6 during the initial Reatogo or Ghost 10 boot and adding them from a floppy. If this doesn't work then I doubt adding the drivers to your CD will work either.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
    Übermensch

Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:36pm

El_Pescador, I understand that you are busy, but when a free moment arises . . .
    • What do you mean by “where the MASTER HDD is ‘not-in-the-loop’” when you said:  “However, readily accomplishing either a Ghost 'partition-to-image' Backup procedure or a Ghost 'disk-to-image' Backup procedure while in the Ghost 8.2 mode can only be done in a Windows Preinstall Environment where the MASTER HDD is ‘not-in-the-loop’”?
    • If a user is creating an image of one physical hard disk drive with two partitions, what are the advantages/disadvantages of performing two Partition-to-Image operations in Ghost 8.2 versus one Disk-to-Image operation?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
    Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 11:24pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:36pm:
    "... What do you mean by “where the MASTER HDD is ‘not-in-the-loop’” when you said:  “However, readily accomplishing either a Ghost 'partition-to-image' Backup procedure or a Ghost 'disk-to-image' Backup procedure while in the Ghost 8.2 mode can only be done in a Windows Preinstall Environment where the MASTER HDD is ‘not-in-the-loop’?..."

Albeit I did perform Integrity Checks on image files stored on an inactive external HDD after booting from Windows XP Home Edition resident on Active Virtual Drive C: of my Maxtor 120GB SATA MASTER HDD (invoking Ghost 8.2 merely by opening GHOSTRESTORE.EXE on a CD-ROM drive), I subsequently received error messages every time I attempted to perform a Ghost 8.2 Backup of any and all partitions on both my SATA MASTER HDD and my IDE SLAVE HDD.  In other words, I could not use Ghost 8.2 to perform "hot-imaging" on the contents of any of my internal HDDs.

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:36pm:
    "... If a user is creating an image of one physical hard disk drive with two partitions, what are the advantages/disadvantages of performing two Partition-to-Image operations in Ghost 8.2 versus one Disk-to-Image operation?..."

As we say down here in South Louisiana, "Chacun à son gout!".  For my own purposes, I prefer to perform "disk-to-image" Ghost 2003/8.2 Backups of my MASTER HDD every so often, but interspersed by "partition-to-image" Backups of a FAT32 virtual drive where I maintain dynamic content (my SLAVE HDD is restricted to archives and Backup images).

EP
    Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
    Send Topic Print