Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monitor Hard Disk Temperature (Read 4427 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Monitor Hard Disk Temperature
Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:42am

SpeedFan is a free utility that may be of interest to many readers of this forum.  With support for over 300 hard disks from 11 manufacturers, the tool can retrieve and display the temperature sensor information of the hard disk drive by accessing the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) capability of the hardware.

Depending upon your PC, SpeedFan can also display CPU and system temperatures, as well as the fan RPM.

SpeedFan appears to be functionally similar to Hmonitor Pro (US$29), but the 'look-and-feel' seems to be more professional.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Monitor Hard Disk Temperature
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 1:40pm

love stuff like that. gauges. sensors. temp readings. nuke plants have a million gages, sensors & monitors .. temperature, pressure, flow rate, tank levels, etc .. so you can tell what's happening.

looks like a freebie.

i noticed this in "credits" section:

"The first one to thank is
Alexander Van Kaam
, for letting me discover the wonderful world of sensors.."

Alex is my buddy who authored motherboard monitor for all those years. i still host his last version. sad to see him abandon it. From the Netherlands.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

alex knows a thing or two about monitoring. i helped him word-smith the text on the installation wizard, since english isn't his primary language.

some of these types of prgms can prevent pc from going into standby .. have you gone into standby since installing?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 9:31am

Rad, if you like data, you’ll love SpeedFan.

It’s a small world:  Alexander Van Kaam sounds like quite an accomplished acquaintance.  It is unfortunate that he choose to discontinue development on Motherboard Monitor in June, 2004 – although it is still available for download.

Unlike SpeedFan, my understanding is that Motherboard Monitor never had the capability to retrieve and report the temperature of hard disk drives.

Yes, SpeedFan is a free utility.

I do not enable “stand-by” on my desktop PC, and so can’t comment on whether or not the program impacts the ability of the PC to enter into that mode.  By default, SpeedFan does periodically (once every few seconds) update the sensor data it displays, although there is a command line parameter (“/NOTIMER”) to suppress that capability.  If the query of the sensor is registered as “activity” by the PC, then one would anticipate that it would interfere with stand-by mode.  The best option, of course, is simply to download and test the utility on your own PC.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 3:40pm

Version 4.29 of SpeedFan is now available.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print