Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Integrating SATA Drivers to Ghost 10 Recovery CD (Read 22769 times)
serpico
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Integrating SATA Drivers to Ghost 10 Recovery CD
Apr 3rd, 2006 at 3:00pm

Issue:
If the Ghost 10 product cd (which is also the bootable recovery cd) does not include SATA drivers for your system (Ghost 10 has some SATA drivers, but may not have the drivers you require), you will need to load these from a floppy drive by pressing F6 when the Ghost 10 cd begins booting.  Simple enough, but what if you don't have a floppy (e.g., laptop users)?

Note this issue also applies to Ghost 9.  The solution I detail below can also be implemented with Ghost 9, as some others have done (see below).

Workarounds for this issue have been posted to this forum:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Full_Rad_Board;action=display;nu...

IMHO, the simplest workaround seems to be going into the Bios and switching the SATA setting from "AHCI" to "Compatibility" (or similar non-AHCI setting).  Alternatively, you could go buy a USB floppy drive.

Solution:
Screw the workarounds - you want your Ghost 10 cd to boot and load the drivers so your SATA disk can operate in AHCI mode in the Ghost recovery environment.

Thanks to Brian for figuring this out for Ghost 9 and for pointing me in the right direction:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11131...

My laptop has the Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI controller, but the procedure can be generalized for other SATA drivers.

Step 1. Find/download the SATA drivers for your system and extract them into a folder.  When I extracted the Intel drivers, it spat out about 10 files, but I only needed 4:
IAAHCI.INF
IASTOR.INF
IASTOR.SYS
TXTSETUP.OEM

Step 2. Create an ISO of the Ghost cd using UltraISO or similar.

Step 3. In the [Ghost ISO image]\I386 folder, find TXTSETUP.SIF and edit as follows:

[SourceDisksFiles]
iastor.sys=1,,,,,,3_,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106="iaStor"
*Note: Make sure you use the right info here.  This entry(ies) associates drivers with the PCI device Id(s) detected on the machine.  How do you know which device ID info to use?  Open the TXTSETUP.OEM file you extracted in Step 1 and look for the device ID for your machine.  If you don't know the device ID for your machine, go to Device Mgr and then go to Properties for the RAID or AHCI controller on your system; look in Detals tab.

[SCSI.load]
iaStor=iastor.sys,4

[SCSI]
iaStor="Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile  ICH7M)"
*Note: It doesn't really matter what you put in the quotes, but may be useful if you ever need to go back and look at how you created the cd.

If you want more info/background on this step, see http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=13173

Step 4. In addition to replacing TXTSETUP.SIF in [Ghost ISO image]\I386, you'll need to replace/add the following files with the versions you extracted in Step 1:

Copy IAAHCI.INF and IASTOR.INF into the [Ghost ISO image]\I386\INF folder.

Copy IASTOR.SYS into the [Ghost ISO image]\I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder.

Step 5. Burn the modified Ghost ISO image to cd

Step 6. Boot from cd just created; do not hit F6.  Hopefully, the Ghost recovery environment shows your SATA disk!

Let us know if this works for you, and if you had to make any mods to the procedure for your system, please share them on the forum.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Integrating SATA Drivers to Ghost 10 Recovery
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 4:21pm

Good work. You now understand it better than I ever did.

John, a new FAQ.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Integrating SATA Drivers to Ghost 10 Recovery
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2006 at 8:05pm

I did this again today as I have a new computer with a different SATA controller. The first time took hours but today took minutes. Searching the txtsetup.sif in Notepad can be time consuming because there are so many "finds". eg try searching for iastor. I've found an easy way to search the file so that you only get one "find" each time.

Quote:
[SourceDisksFiles]
iastor.sys=1,,,,,,3_,4,1

Search for   iastor.sys=

Quote:
[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106="iaStor"

Search for  "iastor"

Quote:
[SCSI.load]
iaStor=iastor.sys,4

Search for  iastor=iastor
I've found that this entry is always correct.

Quote:
[SCSI]
iaStor="Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile  ICH7M)"

Search for  iastor="

These edits are only needed if you can't see your HD from the Recovery Environment. This happens when you have a new computer and the CD has outdated SATA drivers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print