Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing hard drives and using Ghost (Read 17130 times)
ree3162003
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Changing hard drives and using Ghost
Oct 19th, 2006 at 7:49pm

Ok, I'm new to using Ghost so bare with me here. I've already read the manual for Ghost 9.0 which is the version I’m using and I think I have a reasonable understanding of how the program works. Still though I wanted to come here first and talk with some of the people who are more experienced using the program before I dive in for myself.

Now what I am trying to do is copy the contents of my C drive as an image to another drive, so I can replace my old C Drive with a new one. I have already created several image files of my C Drive and put them on multiple separate hard drives just in the event one image file doesn’t work when I’m trying to restore the drive.

My main question is when I decide to replace this current Drive with the new one do I need to format the new one or do anything else to the drive before using Ghost to restore the image file of my old C Drive.

Just so you know the drive I am trying to replace is an IDE Drive that contains my Windows operating system. The drive I plan to replace it with is from the same maker and also uses the same interface.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Changing hard drives and using Ghost
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 8:48pm

ree3162003,

Regarding formatting. It doesn't matter. You can restore into a partition or into Unallocated Space. I partition the new HD with Partition Magic before the restore but that's just because I find it easier to partition earlier rather than later.

You have several images. Good thinking.

This is how I do the restore.

Quote:
Boot to the Ghost CD
Set the Time Zone
Advanced Recovery Tasks
System Restore
dot in Restore drives          ,Next
dot in Single drive            ,Next
Browse to your image file      ,Next
Select a destination           ,Next
tick Verify backup
tick Check for file system errors after restore
tick Resize drive to fill unallocated space (Y or N) Will be greyed out if partition is correct size
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signatures
tick Restore MBR (for a new HD)
Next
tick Reboot after finish
Finish

Check computer clock after OS boots. May be out by an hour or two.

With a new HD you would tick Copy MBR. Don't let the new HD see the old HD the first time it boots. I'd expect you wouldn't have the old HD in the computer anyway.

It will be easy. Let us know how you find the restore process.

IP Logged

ree3162003
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 3:00pm

Thanks for answering my last question and giving me some helpful advice but unfortunately I've come across a bit of a problem.

I wanted to try and boot into the recovery environment before I changed drives so I could get an idea where all the setting were and to familiarize myself with them. The problem is though I can't seem to boot from the Symantec Recovery CD. I've tried putting the CD in the drive, restarting the system and pressing F11 to select the drive the disk is in so I can boot from it but that didn't work. So I tried changing the list of boot devices in the bios and making the drive the CD is in to the first boot device. The problem here is I get a black screen that says press any key to boot from CD so I do so but after a few seconds it just boots into Windows like it would normally. I even tried changing the list of boot devices so the DVD-ROM drive with the disk in it is the only one to boot from but still it just keeps booting into Windows.

Any ideas, am I doing something wrong here?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 3:27pm

ree3162003,

The message “press any key to boot from CD” indicates that the CD has been recognized and is ready to boot. But it doesn’t.

Does that CD boot in other computers? Do you have other bootable CDs that you can try in your computer eg WinXP, Partition Magic, your computer diagnostic CD? Do you have another keyboard to try? Do you have a wireless keyboard? It sounds like your keyboard entries aren’t being recognized.

IP Logged

ree3162003
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:04pm

Well I tired putting in my Window XP disk and booting from that but the same thing happened. The keyboard I’m using is a USB Logitech that connects directly to a USB port on my computer. It worked fine for making changes when I was in the bios so I’m not sure why it would stop working when it comes to the message about booting from CD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:12pm

ree3162003 wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:04pm:
The keyboard I’m using is a USB Logitech that connects directly to a USB port on my computer. It worked fine for making changes when I was in the bios so I’m not sure why it would stop working when it comes to the message about booting from CD.

I agree. Very strange but do you have a PS2 keyboard that you can try?
Is the CD drive jumpered as Master?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:19pm

Something else you could try. Download Dan's  dsrfix98.zip from

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11558...

This creates a bootable CD that doesn't require "press any key". See if it boots.

IP Logged

ree3162003
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:19pm

I think I have a PS2 keyboard somewhere that I could use if I find it. The DVD Drive is jumpered to cable select if I remember correctly and it shows up above the DVD-RW drive in bios.

IP Logged

ree3162003
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:20pm

Brian wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:19pm:
Something else you could try. Download Dan's  dsrfix98.zip from

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11558...

This creates a bootable CD that doesn't require "press any key". See if it boots.

Ok I'll try that too.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:23pm

Have you tried the CD in both drives?

IP Logged

ree3162003
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:50pm

Brian wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:23pm:
Have you tried the CD in both drives?

I just tried booting the CD this time from the DVD-RW drive and the same thing happened. I did notice though when I first start up the LED's on my keyboard and mouse light up but when I get to the screen that tells you to press any key to boot they both go out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print