Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 (or 939) mobo? (Read 14495 times)
C Man
Radmeister

Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 (or 939) mobo?
Nov 27th, 2006 at 1:47am

Is anyone here successfully using Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 or 939 motherboard??  I don't have either, but was planning on building a new system in the next month and was going to use a Socket AM2 motherboard.

Someone I know who has used Ghost since it first came out told me today that he hasn't been able to get Ghost to work with a Socket 939 motherboard.  His exact words to me were:

"On Socket 939, the board manufacturers have changed the way IDE is handled and Ghost 2003 can't read the drive types through the hard drive controller on the motherboard."

I don't know what that means in technical terms, but he hasn't been able to get Ghost 2003 to work with a 939 board, and he's used it 1000's of times.  I imagine if IDE is handled the same way on AM2 boards that it also wouldn't work, so I was looking for anyone who had successfully used Ghost 2003 with an AM2 board.  If not then I'm probably going to have to rethink my upcoming build since I don't want to get rid of Ghost 2003.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 (or 939) mob
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 3:30am

I have built a computer (for a friend) based on the Gigabyte GA-K8NX U-SLI motherboard and Hitachi 7K250 SATA hard disks. Ghost 2003 has no problems at all. Take note that I always run Ghost booted from the Ghost Boot Disks, never initiated from within Windows.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 10:53am

What do I look like, a Gigabyte mobo encyclopedia ??  Wink

That board isn't listed on their site or Newegg, so I don't know if it's an older 939 board or newer AM2.  Which is it?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 12:27pm

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 1:39pm

Hi,
I'm that poor schmuck that's having the problems with those 939 mobo's and Ghost 2003, also run from a boot floppy.

The disk boots up to my Ansi-Color menu just fine.  Ghost 2003 even opens just fine, but then the problems start.  I get that grey window opening up in the center of the screen with nothing but an HourGlass in it and everything stops right there.

On occasions, on certain PC's, I've had the program go further, but the names of the drives on the system are garbled, with just jumbled characters. The backup failed.

I had a real good explanation of how the new hard drive controller on the 939 mobo's works, but I don't remember the details.  

Sir, would it be possible to swap Ghost boot disk images with you?
Since we both own it, that wouldn't be piracy or anything like that.
If not, could I just get a peek at your Ghost.ini file?

I'd sure love to see how your disk and ghost is set up.
Maybe my problem is just something simple in my own setup.

Thanks,
Doc 8)

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:20pm

Hi Doc and welcome ... Smiley ... !

I have created two sets of Ghost Boot Disks, one running MS-DOS and the other running PC-DOS. I have always used MS-DOS. I have no Ghost.ini, only Autoexec.bat which looks like this:

Code:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO-01:00
LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2 /D:cd3
echo Loading...
cls

if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE -split=650 -auto
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

As you can see, I have chosen to split and auto-name the spans enabling burning to CDs. That's the only user intervention when creating the GBDs from Ghost 2003 running under Windows XP Pro.

I don't have any means (that I know of) to create a disk image of a floppy but if you tell me how ... Undecided ... and it's free!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:28pm

The files on the MS-DOS floppy #1 are:

aspi2dos.sys
aspi4dos.sys
aspi8dos.sys
aspi8u2.sys
aspicd.sys
AUTOEXEC.BAT
btcdrom.sys
btdosm.sys
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
flashpt.sys
IO.SYS
mscdex.exe
MSDOS.SYS
oakcdrom.sys
and the folder "GHOST"

The files on the MS-DOS floppy #2 are:

AUTOEXEC.BAT (identical)
and the folder "GHOST" containing GHOST.EXE

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:33pm

Try creating a Win98SE start disk and when the computer is started, swap in the floppy with Ghost.exe. At the A:>\ command prompt type in: cd Ghost > enter, type in: Ghost.exe > enter

See how it runs and tell us.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 3:53pm

The original boot disk created By Ghost used some funky free DOS version.  I never really liked it.
Since then, I've upgraded to a boot disk made from Windows ME.
I've pared it down to just the basics, leaving the CD rom drivers and Mouse.com.
Even with my Ansi-Color menu and HD cleanup files, it snuggles nicely on a single 1.44 meg floppy.  When you go into Options in Ghost and set it up, it creates that .ini file to hold those options.
It should be on your ghost disk, somewhere, along with the Ghost error log.

I do have an image file made from my boot disk by a little freeware program called "Floppy Image".

To avoid the legal hassles, I won't put the url to my image file here.
But if you can either PM or eMail me, we can discuss that option further. 
here's the url to get Floppy Image:
www.towodo.com/products/floppyimage/

I love this little utility and it's helped me to help many others by allowing me to share some of my HELP programs, boot disks, etc.

Thanks again.
Doc 8)

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 5:06pm

Doc,
only PC-DOS is native to Ghost. If the user wants to run it under MS-DOS, he/she has to provide the MS-DOS files through a Win9X start disk.

My first Ghost version, when I was on WinME was 2002. I provided the MS-DOS files to Ghost through the WinME start disk.

When I migrated to WinXP, I also migrated to Ghost 2003. I tried to provide the MS-DOS files using the same WinME start disk but it was not accepted. The message was that "it MUST be Win98 or Win95 files" or words to that meaning. I found a computer running Win98SE, created a start disk, used it and everything has been well ever since.

My conclusion is that Ghost 2003 is not compatible with WinME boot files which are quite different from Win98/95 boot files.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 5:18pm

... and I forgot:

Quote:
When you go into Options in Ghost and set it up, it creates that .ini file to hold those options.

I created the GBD's in Ghost Utilities > Norton Ghost Boot Wizard > CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost and the result is what I listed above.

Quote:
It should be on your ghost disk, somewhere, along with the Ghost error log.

Maybe I'm holding my chin too far out now but ... Lips Sealed ... I have never seen a Ghost error log ... 8) ... it has always worked for me.

Quote:
by a little freeware program called "Floppy Image".

I will check out that utility, thanks!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 6:40pm

I first ran into Ghost, from "Ghostsoft, Inc." in about 1996.  We used it in the shop I worked in then to clone HD's for our customers.  That was in '96 and I was amazed at how ahead of the times it seemed to be.  Written by Aliens, I guess.  lol

A little more recently, my first ver of Ghost was Ghost 2002 which I got on a mobo driver disk as a freebee.  It made a boot disk for me with some weird DOS on it.  A year or so later, I got Ghost 2003 on another mobo driver disk.  Again the Ghost program in Windows made me a boot floppy.

Since then, I've changed to windows 98 DOS and then to Windows ME DOS.  In all this time I've never had Ghost refuse to run on any PC, even with Windows XP on it.  Ghost has just worked Everywhere that I've tried to use it.  That is, until recently, when I tried to make a Ghost backup of a HD in a computer I'd just rebuilt with a new AMD socket 939 mobo.  Since then, I've tried to run Ghost 2003 on several different brands of PC's all with the 939 mobo and Ghost 2003 has NOT worked properly on any of them.
Ghost 2003 Does work flawlessly from a Windows ME boot disk, on every other mobo I've tried it on.
That's not the problem here.

It was explained to me about the recent changes to the IDE controller on the new 939 mobo's, but, I just can't remember what that explanation was.

There's probably NO way to make Ghost 2003 ever work with those boards, but if there is, I'd sure like to find it.  God, I do love that program.  It's without a doubt the most valuable utility I have in my Arsenal of programs.

On my own SATA HD, Ghost backs up my entire C: drive to my storage drive in just five minutes,,,,doing an immediate restore, performs the function of a fabulous DEFRAG, on my FAT-32 HD.
Here's my HD after the restore.

Thanks for all your help,
Doc  8)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 9:23pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Nov 27th, 2006 at 6:40pm:
"... There's probably NO way to make Ghost 2003 ever work with those boards, but if there is, I'd sure like to find it.  God, I do love that program.  It's without a doubt the most valuable utility I have in my Arsenal of programs..."

If DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003 fails to measure up, then consider using the installation CDs for either Norton Ghost 10.0 or Norton Save & Restore (plus the Symantec Recovery Disk included with the Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier suite) to simply boot from the CD itself (all of these products readily allows one to boot into a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment) and immediately engage the legacy Backup/Restore or Clone "cold-imaging" procedures by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
with the side benefit of bypassing both USB mass-storage device and SATA HDD glitches frequently encountered with DOS-dependent Ghost 2003.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow both immediate creation of Ghost Backup images or the converse Recovery of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003 -
but not with those created with Ghost 9, Ghost 10.0, or Save & Restore during "hot-imaging".

CLICK HERE to view my preferred - but admittedly convoluted - "path-less-traveled" of using
ghost32.exe
on a BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD to generate Ghost 2003-compatible files
independent of DOS

EP
Cry

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 9:37pm

At the risk of becoming redundant, I'll repeat my previous statement.

Ghost 2003, run from a DOS boot disk has no problem doing a backup and/or restore on any PC running any version of XP, except on the newer 939 motherboards.  I've never had any problem on any other mobo but that one.

Personally, all I need is to either find a fix for that problem, or fine another (free) backup program that will work as well as Ghost 2003.

Today, I've totally revamped my own Ghost 2003 boot disk, with a newer version of Ghost 2003 and some added features.  One day this week I'll get a chance to test it out on an AMD 939 mobo.

Wish me luck!

Doc 8)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 10:46pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Nov 27th, 2006 at 9:37pm:
"... Personally, all I need is to either find a fix for that problem, or fine another (
free
) backup program that will work as well as Ghost 2003..."

CLICK HERE to check out a Symantec bundle - including a lagniappe Norton Ghost 2003 CD - for pretty close to
FREE
.  Actually, I ordered both the Symantec bundle and the Nero 7 Ultra Edition product (also
free
after MIRs), and shipping came to $8.22 USD with no sales taxes of any kind.  Looks like each item will cost me about $4.11 USD net.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print