Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Pagefile on 2nd HDD-primary or logical partition? (Read 21442 times)
C Man
Radmeister

Pagefile on 2nd HDD-primary or logical partition?
Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:01am

Earlier today I was on a site reading a gentleman's partitioning strategy and he recommended putting the pagefile on the first partition of a 2nd HDD.  I've seen this recommended before, but what prompts this post is that in his example this pagefile partition is a primary partition.

I guess I never gave much thought to it before, but now that I am thinking about it, does it have to be a primary partition, or could it be a logical partition?

This is the site I was on.  I think I might have gotten there through a link from another post on this board, actually.

http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Pagefile on 2nd HDD-primary or logical partiti
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:19am

The C Man,

This is another approach and is what I favour.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

I have a 400 MB (max 1000 MB) page file on the C: drive. My maximum usage has been 190 MB. Average usage is 12 MB. You will hear all sorts of combinations. Your decision.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 10:14am

The C Man, if your objective is to increase hard disk performance, you may wish to review the discussion of Diskeeper’s I-FAAST technology in this thread.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:18am

Thanks for the links, guys.  It's not so much that I want to eek out every last bit of HDD performance as it is that I want to cut down on fragmentation, that's the reason for my interest in locating the pagefile on a separate drive.  I don't know what I'm going to do for sure yet, but my initial question remains: if I do put the pagefile on a 2nd HDD, does the partition have to be a primary partition, or could it be a logical partition?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:32am

The C Man, you want to cut down on the fragmentation of your paging file?  If so, the free PageDefrag utility might be of interest.

Most good defragmentation utilities (including Diskeeper 2007) also have the capability to defrag the paging file, too.

I do not know the answer to your original question, but the motivation for asking it may dissipate if you adopt the use of a tool such as Diskeeper 2007 that continuously and unobtrusively defragments in the background.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 12:17pm

Quote:
I want to cut down on fragmentation, that's the reason for my interest in locating the pagefile on a separate drive.

I assume you are referring to pagefile defragmentation. It's rare and as Pleonasm mentioned, easily fixed with a good defrag program.

I used to have my pagefile in a logical partition on the second HD but it shouldn't matter if the partition was primary or logical.

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 3:07pm

Ok, thanks Brian.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:20pm

most ppl move their swap/page file to another (physical) drive for performance reasons.

you just have to make sure the other hd is as fast (or faster) as the one you're moving it from (many aren't).

moving the page file was more of an issue back when memory was expensive. now that many systems come with 512-MB, or 1-GB, or even 2-gigs of memory, the swap/page files get limited use.

note that the link you reference refers to win 95/98. in other words, things have changed since then .. an one of the main changes is that systems come with more memory, and hence use less swap/page file.

i have moved my swap/page file off a scsi boot/system drive to another scsi (15K-rpm) and noticed no perf increase.

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:40pm

Rad wrote on Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:20pm:
you just have to make sure the other hd is as fast (or faster) as the one you're moving it from (many aren't).

This partitioning strategy is for an upcoming build that I don't have the HDDs for yet.  I was thinking of getting a 74 GB WD Raptor as the main HDD.  You're saying it would be a bad move to put the pagefile on a slower 7200 rpm drive then, huh?

My main reason for doing it isn't necessarily to get a performance gain, but to cut down on the amount of space the OS takes up, thereby making my Ghost images smaller.  This build will have 512 MB RAM initially, and possibly permanently.  I may up that to 1 GB, but have no initial plans to do so.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:44pm

As I understand it, there is pagefile fragmentation and data fragmentation within the pagefile:

A Windows managed pagefile may have a too small initial size and when it grows, fragments get spread out wherever there is free space. When the need is no longer there, it shrinks back in size and fewer fragments. At reboot, it gets all the way down to the initial size.

A user defined pagefile with a sensible minimum (initial) size and also a sensible maximum size will not get fragmented unless conditions other than normal require more than the minimum size. As soon as the exceptional need disappears, it will shrink back into a single fragment.

Data fragmentation within the pagefile, well, what are we going to do about that? The operating system assigns space in the pagefile and where stuff ends up is dificult to control, if at all possible. As I understand it, the operating system stores the information on what is where in the pagefile in RAM and on reboot, RAM is flushed and the pagefile is history.

My conclusion is that on a modern computer with lots of RAM, pagefile fragmentation is nothing to worry about. In addition to that, even a WinXP managed pagefile has a sensible initial size, not like a Win9X managed pagefile which grew and shrunk all the time. Data fragmentation within the pagefile is nothing to worry about unless the computer is running 24/7 with reboots weeks or months apart.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:47pm

Quote:
My main reason for doing it isn't necessarily to get a performance gain, but to cut down on the amount of space the OS takes up, thereby making my Ghost images smaller.

Don't worry about Image file size. In Ghost 2003, pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys and other "one session files" are excluded from the Image. I don't know about Ghost 9 and up but I don't think that they backup useless crap.

Set the pagefile on C: to user managed with the sizes 768 MB - 1536 MB which is 1.5 x RAM - 3.0 x RAM. I use that setting and it has never been increased in size. As far as I know, used pagefile has never been over a few hundred MB when I work in Photoshop and PowerPoint simultaneously.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 5:09pm

Christer wrote on Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:47pm:
Don't worry about Image file size. In Ghost 2003, pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys and other "one session files" are excluded from the Image.

Thanks very much, I didn't know that.  Maybe moving the pagefile isn't needed then.

I've read a lot of positives about the noticeable speed improvements with the 10000 rpm Raptors so I'm leaning towards getting one for my main HDD.  Once I get XP installed, activated, and Ghosted I'm going to go to work on cutting out as much excess as I can (I'm a minimalist).

Even with a 5 GB system partition I could easily set the pagefile size to 2GB and have no worries then, right?

With the pagefile on the same HDD as the OS it won't matter then if my 2nd HDD for storage/dowloads/backups is 7200 rpm, correct?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 5:47pm

Quote:
Even with a 5 GB system partition ...

I use ~5 GB of my 12 GB system partition. I don't have very much installed, Office, Acrobat, Photoshop, Nero and a few smaller applications. Even if you go "lean", 5 GB is way too small. You will grow out of space. Personally, on a 74 GB Raptor, I would make the system partition 20% and the data partition 80%. The 7200 rpm SATA would be partitioned in two for data backup and Ghost Images. I never ever defragment the partition with Ghost Images. (I actually have an 80 GB HDD partitioned in two. When the first partition gets full, I shift to the second partition and when that one gets full, I reformat the first partition.)

You haven't mentioned (I think) separating programs on a partition of their own. No matter what, the installer writes to the system partition, in C:\Windows, C:\Documents and settings and to the registry. That would involve keeping two Images synchronised, one of the system partition and another of the programs partition. Any change to the programs partition would spill over on the system partition.

Quote:
... I could easily set the pagefile size to 2GB and have no worries then, right?

I am not sure that would be wise. Programs are designed to "request" a certain amount of Virtual Memory. Windows is smart enough to not assign all to RAM but most of it to the pagefile (programmers always overdo the request). I don't know if these "assignments" in the pagefile are counted in "pagefile usage" but no matter what, with 512 MB RAM, I would not go lower than 256 MB - 512 MB pagefile. Well, to be honest, I would let it have 768 MB - 1536 MB even if pagefile usage monitors indicate that it doesn't get used. (1.5xRAM - 3.0xRAM is the Microsoft recommendation for a "semi fixed" pagefile.)

Quote:
With the pagefile on the same HDD as the OS it won't matter then if my 2nd HDD for storage/dowloads/backups is 7200 rpm, correct?

That's my understanding of the matter.

Another thing to consider, if you use Photoshop, put the scratch file on a partition other than C:. Adobe recommends to put it on a different partition than the one with the pagefile. Some create a small partition for the scratch file alone.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 6:28pm

Christer, if you using 5 GB of your 12 GB system partition is considered not having very much installed, I'm not sure what I do even constitutes computing!   Cheesy

On my heavily customized WIn9x system, the O/S and all my programs totals less than 300 MB.  No Photoshop, no Office, no games.  I do use v5 of Acrobat.  I just checked my Program Files folder and there's 41 programs installed.  I am getting a DVD burner so I'll be adding a software burning program but other than that what I have now is pretty much what I live with.  Obviously with XP the OS will take up more space, but programs-wise I don't see myself ever using multi-gigabytes.

I'm still new to XP (2-3 months), still haven't activated it yet b/c I still need the HDDs for this new build, so so far I've just installed it on an unused HDD I have here and then after 28 days I reformat and reinstall.

Both times I've installed it I've done so on a 5 GB partition.  It feels like it runs the same speed as my Win9x system, and this is on an Athlon Thunderbird 1000 MHz from 2001.  Shocked  The new system will be using a Sempron 3400 2.0 GHz.

When I mentioned setting the pagefile to 2 GB, I just meant the upper ceiling for its size, not a fixed size.

You're right, I didn't mention putting both my data & programs on a separate partitions, but I was planning on it, and then using TweakUI or whatever reg hacks I need to to get Windows to behave appropriately.

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 6:50pm

For what it's worth, this is my thinking regarding having a separate partition for both the OS and Programs....

With them both installed on the same partition as they are on my system currently, it seems like you needlessly back up all those static program files every time you make a Ghost image.  With the programs on a separate partition this would again cut down on the size of the OS Ghost image.

So do a fresh install of Windows and immediately make an image of it.

Then customize Windows to your liking and image the OS partition again.

Then in your programs partition install all of your "core" programs (your mainstays, stuff you know you'll always want to have installed). Now your OS partition has changed somewhat because there are plenty of new registry entries and DLLs installed, so image it again.

You can now backup/clone your programs partition one time and be done with it (unless/until you found other programs you wanted to install permanently) and then never have to restore it again unless of a HDD failure.

At this point you have your system set up exactly as you want it. Any time you find another program you want to install permanently just install it to your programs partition and then immediately image the OS partition, and do an incremental backup of the Programs partition.

As I was developing this partition & image strategy in my mind it occurred to me that if you were in the habit of frequently experimenting with other software outside of your "core" apps and were constantly installing and uninstalling them, instead of using those program's own uninstall routines or Windows' Add/Remove Programs and not knowing for sure if it removed every last trace of the program and reg entries, you could just manually delete that program's folder from the programs partition, restore your OS image, and be back to where you were prior to installing the program in the first place.  Sure, it would take longer, but I'm just saying if you were really anal about it you could do it that way.  If not, then just uninstall them the 'normal' way.

I don't know if those reading this will think that this strategy is excessive or overblown or whatever, but in my mind it makes perfect sense.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print