Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Pagefile on 2nd HDD-primary or logical partition? (Read 21523 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Pagefile on 2nd HDD-primary or logical partiti
Reply #30 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 12:40pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
my understanding is that even if a user has a huge amount of physical RAM, an enabled paging file will still be employed.

I too believe that is correct--but the page file is just a place holder for when some programs load--they are programed to tell the system that they need "X" amount of virtual memory addresses (be it the page file on a HDD, or the RAM set aside for virtual memory if you have disabled the HDD page file option) set aside in case the program needs to be *paged out* to virtual memory.  Once that *record keeping* function has occurred--then the program does not access the virtual memory (be it HDD page file or RAM virtual memory) until the system actually determines that it has run out of RAM, and has to send one or more program that's in regular program RAM memory to virtual memory.  If virtual memory is in RAM--then you are in a loosing spiral of counter productive activity--the system is sending programs from regular program RAM to virtual memory RAM--sounds self defeating to me!

Quote:
because virtual memory is never used

What I mean here, is that it is not actively accessed or used on an on-going basis once the place holder actions have been performed--data has been place in the page file, it's there, but the programs are not being *paged out* unless you have actually run out of regular program RAM for the system to use.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #31 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 1:48pm

Pleonasm

As regards to Ghost4me's performance results, the author of this website--  
Bad Tweaks
, has offered to test and review legitimate and verifiable data:

Quote:
*****Conclusion

I’m sure some will argue with my conclusions. I'm always looking for information about new tweaks and why tweaks either do or do not work. I will entertain arguments about this information but I will require a few things:

1 – You must submit documentation for your argument from a legitimate source. In matters involving the registry it should be from Microsoft or from some entity of equal weight.

2 - I hear things like “my benchmarking” and “my tests”. That, to be quite frank, is a load of crap. What “benchmarks”? What “tests”? Any benchmarks/tests used in your argument must be fully documented. They must also be able to be replicated and if your argument has any merit, I will attempt to do just that. If it can’t be replicated it fails the scientific method and the argument is null. I’ve already benchmarked/tested these settings extensively.

Based on the fact that apparently the website's author has not changed his recommendations on the items presented, apparently no one has presented data to make him change his recommendations.

I would suggest Ghost4me present his data for peer review!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #32 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 9:12am

I saw a perceptible improvement in the consistency of responsiveness of XP.  The real improvement came with IE7 and multiple tabs (multiple websites open at once).  Perhaps that explains the memory loading or strain and the conditions upon which it improved performance.

Regarding peer review, I suggest that TweakHound has not followed his own practice.  Where is his requirement that "1 – You must submit documentation for your argument from a legitimate source. In matters involving the registry it should be from Microsoft or from some entity of equal weight."?

His statement is without any reference:

Quote:
Disable Paging of Kernel
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

Under all but the most very extreme circumstances it does nothing. What this setting does is force XP to keep the kernel (the core of the operating system) in RAM. This means that the kernel will reside in the fastest storage area in your computer. Sounds great right? Guess what? XP does this anyway unless the system comes under such an extremely heavy load that it needs the space. The very millisecond that the system has free memory, it will put the kernel right back into RAM. If the system is in such dire straights that it needs to use the space that the kernel is using I would say you are on your way to a crash and you better let whatever wants the space have it. You also better add more memory ASAP.

1 – You must submit documentation for your argument from a legitimate source. In matters involving the registry it should be from Microsoft or from some entity of equal weight.

Quote:
What “benchmarks”? What “tests”? Any benchmarks/tests used in your argument must be fully documented. They must also be able to be replicated and if your argument has any merit, I will attempt to do just that. If it can’t be replicated it fails the scientific method and the argument is null.

I would suggest NightOwl and others present their data for peer review!

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #33 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 10:06am

Ghost4me, you’re marching to the tune of the right drummer! 

Let he who is making the assertion provide the facts.  Empiricism rules!  Wink

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #34 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 10:51am

I wasn't trying to claim that my comments and testing would stand up to scientific scrutiny.  Just a simple before-and-after comparison.  

It seemed to help on the pc's (1gb memory) that I tried it.  Your mileage may vary.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print