Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 (or 939) mobo? (Read 14550 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 (or 939) mob
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 11:12pm

Quote:
"... Is anyone here successfully using Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 or 939 motherboard??  I don't have either, but was planning on building a new system in the next month and was going to use a Socket AM2 motherboard.

Someone I know who has used Ghost since it first came out told me today that he hasn't been able to get Ghost to work with a Socket 939 motherboard.  His exact words to me were:

"On Socket 939, the board manufacturers have changed the way IDE is handled and Ghost 2003 can't read the drive types through the hard drive controller on the motherboard."

I don't know what that means in technical terms, but he hasn't been able to get Ghost 2003 to work with a 939 board, and he's used it 1000's of times.  I imagine if IDE is handled the same way on AM2 boards that it also wouldn't work, so I was looking for anyone who had successfully used Ghost 2003 with an AM2 board.  If not then I'm probably going to have to rethink my upcoming build since I don't want to get rid of Ghost 2003..."

When I was wrestling with the Compaq Presario SR1650NX (ASUS A8AE-LE Socket 939 mobo codenamed AmberineM-GL6E for AMD Athlon64, AMD Sempron and Athlon 64 X2 processors) in the above thread, I installed a 3.5-inch floppy and used Norton Ghost 2003 boot floppies while testing its ability to boot into DOS from both its native SATA MASTER HDD and a substitute IDE MASTER HDD.  I never had any difficulties with either HDD with DOS-dependent Ghost 2003, but I could never successfully complete a XP Windows Media Center 2005 configuration setup following a Recovery procedure.

EP

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #16 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 10:53am

I thank Y'all for some really great suggestions, but.....

I'm not just a little home computer user working on just my own PC.
Even though I'm retired, I still set up new computers for people every week and have several hundred old customers that I try to keep up to date and Malware free.

I can't and don't want to have to install suites of programs on their computers (I'm sure licensing would come into that somewhere) to make a single "Restore Disk".

I set up a new computer and remove all the crapola, install the Anti-Malware software, cleanup files, maybe a custom hosts file  and set up their ISP connection and eMail account.

Finally when it's all tweaked, tuned and cleaned, I want to leave them with a fresh "Restore Disk" (DVD or CD's) of the computer as it is at that moment.  The Factory Restore thingy is Now Redundant.
Forgetaboutit !!!

The only way I can do what I need to do to make them that wonderful "Restore Disk" is with an Imaging program run from a boot disk (FD or CD)

Up until I ran head on into the first 939 mobo, (like running full speed into a brick wall)  I had no problem doing what I needed to do from my Ghost 2003 boot CD or Floppy disk. I also have a Ghost bootable Flash Drive.

This past June, I installed a new Toshiba laptop for an old friend/customer.  I had to use the Restore Disk that came with it to recover from his aborted attempt to set it up himself.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the HD Restore DVD was made with Ghost.  It looked strangely like Ghost 2003 to me. Grin

Right now, the only way I can circumvent this problem is to take that fully tweaked HD out of the 'puter with the 939 mobo and attach it to my Socket 754 mobo and make the Ghost backup DVD from there.  That's just a bit more time consuming than I really want to get into.

I guess I could take an older tower with me on those calls, just to make the Restore DVD.  Or not!

thanks again ,
Doc ...

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 12:02am

DrWho2006

Quote:
There's probably NO way to make Ghost 2003 ever work with those boards, but if there is, I'd sure like to find it.

Have you tried running Ghost by starting it with the *-fni* switch?

Switches: Alphabetical list of switches

Switches: Drive detection

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #18 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 11:49am

I received the new build (793) of ghost 2003 from a friend and it will run and make a backup image on the new 939 AMD mobo.
VOILA!

However, I've not been able to get it to verify the backup image.  It always comes up with a CRC error or some such.  So it looks like more work is required.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Doc

8)

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #19 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 3:01pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Dec 17th, 2006 at 11:49am:
"... However, I've not been able to get it to verify the backup image.  It always comes up with a CRC error or some such..."

In my experience, such errors have resulted from an atypical communications protocol between the SOURCE HDD and the DESTINATION HDD.  The original Backup always looks fine at first glance, but then the Integrity Check will fail every time.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #20 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 8:49pm

Generally, I'd say, "Yup, that about sums it up".

But in the case of my last test, where the validation failed, it was all done on the same drive, but different partitions.

This would be so much easier if I had a 939 mobo here to experiment on, but  I don't.  But, I'll get there eventually, even if I have to go out and buy me a 939 board and CPU for testing purposes.

merry Christmas, Y'all,
Doc

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print