Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost locks up when stated w/ DOS USB boot disk (Read 11353 times)
fastlane65
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost locks up when stated w/ DOS USB boot disk
Jan 3rd, 2007 at 5:21pm

I have a DOS boot disk with USB support (tried several versions of Windows OS with USBASPI.SYS and DI1000DD.SYS)  OS sees external USB hard drive and assigns letter.  I change to USB drive and start Ghost 11 (Corp Edition), the initial Symantec grey box comes up, then Ghost crashes.  It writes garbage across the Symantec screen.  If I type cls the screen clears and I'm back to the DOS prompt. 

I've tried a few Ghost startup options, but no difference.

Ive tried DUSE.EXE but it does not recognize my USB drive (Freecom.)

Any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost locks up when stated w/ DOS USB boot dis
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 10:34pm

fastlane65

I believe Symantec has a new name for its Corp product called *LiveState*, but I have only seen up to version 6 mentioned.

There's also *Symantec Ghost Solution Suite*, but the version is at #2.0 right now.

So, I'm unfamiliar with a version 11!

It sound like you are creating a DOS boot disk to run the version of Ghost that you have--the Corporate DOS Ghost v8.2 and above has built-in USB HDD support and there should be no need to add external DOS USB drivers that you mentioned above, unless your version does not have support for certain USB HDD's.  Then you should load those third party DOS USB HDD drivers, and start Ghost with a switch to disable the built-in USB support *-nousb*.

That's assuming that your version 11 acts like version 8.xx!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 12:35am

you bought 1300 copies?

IP Logged

fastlane65
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:29am

11 is the version of DOS Ghost that came with the Corporate Suite we bought last week.  We have 1300 non-network laptops to deploy a new XP image to. 

We already have several Freecom USB hard drives that Ghost's built-in USB drivers do not recognize. 

I will try the -nousb switch.  I tried the -forceusb with no luck and skipped the -nousb thinking it was counter productive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:55am

fastlane65

If you have the DOS *ghost.exe* in a directory on your HDD and you have Windows running--open a command window in that directory with *ghost.exe* and type *ghost -ver*--what does the program report back with?

Quote:
We already have several Freecom USB hard drives that Ghost's built-in USB drivers do not recognize.

That's always the potential issue with USB and DOS support--newer hardware that the DOS drivers were never updated to handle.  Do the built-in USB drivers recognize other USB HDD's?

Quote:
skipped the -nousb thinking it was counter productive

Having two USB DOS drivers attempting to access the same resources is a sure setup for possible conflict!

You can find the Panasonic DOS USB drivers (Usbaspi.sys) here:

v2.06
, size=37,903, dated 11/26/2002

v2.15
, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20
, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory. 

The *di1000dd.sys* file is also referred to at the *Motto Hairu USB Driver*, and can be found in this download from
Rad's download page
usb-dos.zip

After you un-zip the above file, there will be another zipped file--*MHAIRUDO.ZIP*--after un-zipping this file--you will find the *di1000dd.sys* there.  (Warning--there is another *USBASPI.SYS* file in the same zipped file as the *di1000dd.sys*--but, that is not the one you want to use!--it's the version 1.xx and not the version 2.xx.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

fastlane65
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 9:14am

Thi -nousb gets past the initial hang, but now the image creation is stopping while adding the mft files.  I'm working my way thru the drive switches now.  -fnx didn't help, time to get serious.

I've got the boot disk as simple as possible.  Win 98 SE.  No autoexec.  Config.sys has three lines:
device=usbaspi.sys /e /v /norst      (ver 2.20)
device=di1000dd.sys /dE               (ver 2.0)
lastdrive=z

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print