Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista (Read 400591 times)
Fonk
Ex Member

Re: Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista
Reply #15 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 3:34pm

I must say that in my test it was still the beta version of Vista.

So i realy do not know if some mbr structures has changed sinds the last version.

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 10:17am

I just tried out Vista,

I think it was pretty cool.  Very graphical; some say that a PC requires newer, more accelerated hardware in order to support the GUI of Vista.  I set it up on this PC here and it went without problem (slowly).  Alot of my drivers were not recognized for things like ethernet (PCI) cards and my DSL modem (wasn't recognized either).

So I slapped a 4 DVD Ghost 2003 image  of my XP setup back on this and it's working great again in XP.

This computer contains:

Pentium III 600mhz
512mb RAM
80g HDD (Seagate Barracuda)
Couple ethernet cards, USB card, Sound Card, fax modem, ....

Now I tried to set Vista up on an older PC and setup would not even function when I booted from the Vista DVD.  The setup files would load and I'd get a "Detected changed hardware recently"...

This computer contained a Pentium II 500mhz,

so who knows.

I'm purchasing a new desktop soon so I can use this one here for crash testing....   I'd like to put Vista on here and just use it for play.

Madt

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 2:14pm

very interesting step by step Vista upgrade work around:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=196

http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html

the above 2 links are OK

regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

VirtualLarry
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 5:05am

Those URLs are corrupted.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 1:00pm

One option for image backup with Windows Vista those preferring Ghost 2003 is the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (GSS).  As far as I can determine,  however, a user needs to purchase a minimum of 5 licenses at $39.20 each.

Does anyone know of options to purchase individual licenses of GSS?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 12:07am

In my two tests, I find Ghost 8.2 runs faster than Ghost 2003. Would like to see Vista user's feedback of how Ghost 8.2 performs. If the results are satisfactory,  most need not purchase another software since the recovery disks of Ghost 10 and NS&R has Ghost 8.2.

IP Logged

critter748
N00b

Reply #21 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 3:49pm

Only last month I acquired Vista Ultimate through work…
So before I completely kill XP I made a Ghost 2003 image to the D: Partition.
Inserted Vista CD and preceded installing Vista to the C: Partition and formatting C: in the process.
Both C: and D: Partitions are NTFS on One 200gig SATA Hard Disk.

Once Vista was loaded the WoW factor for me was the lack of driver support. It has no SoundBlaster Live 5.1 driver!  Angry 
(5.1 channel and Game port not supported) it does have a generic 2 channel driver for this card though.

Anyways back to topic…
After quite a while trying to set up Vista with my hardware and Software requirements I decided to go back to XP.
Vista is just too new or I’m too old…

Using a Bootable Ghost 2003 Floppy Disk I recovered C: from the XP Ghost image on D:  all was sweet after quite a while, waiting for the image to load back.
How good was it to have XP back…  8)

Regards

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:18pm

critter748,

If you are interested, this video from Terabyte Unlimited shows how to install Vista along with WinXP and boot each quite separately. Not dual booting the "Microsoft Way".

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/videos/bing/vistanew.wmv

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 11:30am

Concerning Reply #19, I did call the sales department at Symantec and asked if there was a way to purchase a single copy license of the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (GSS).  Unfortunately, the answer was “no.”  A user needs to purchase a minimum of 5 licenses at $39.20 each.

IP Logged

adenewton
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 12:46pm

Ok guys here goes,

I've got a machine that i'm currently testing Vista on, basically making sure all my applications and software that i use etc all work in Vista ok.

So far i've been doing pretty well, those that didn't work out the box i've found fixes for. Except 1, which is my mobile phone, which i can't do without, so until Sony Ericsson fix that i won't be upgrading on my main machine for a while yet.

Ghost 2003 was the next program to pop up on install that it was likely to have incompatiblity issues.

So after doing a google search that's how i ended up in this thread.

Didn't look like many people had took full tests so i've took it upon myself to do so.

For simplicity purposes i used Vista's disk management software to shrink my hard drive's C: partition to make way for another partition, and i would attempt to create a copy of the eintire contents of the C: drive to a .gho file on the other partition.

I must also state that i am going to be doing this using the old fashioned DOS version and booting via a USB floppy disk drive to boot into Ghost and doing it from outside Windows, as i am old skool!

To enable yourself to be able to get the latest build after installing Ghost you first need to do the following before installing ghost, especially if you want access to SATA drives.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513

Follow the instructions to install the latest version of liveupdate, and then download the hosts file in step 4 to the correct folder. Vista might not want to give the file it's proper name, so it might be easier to download the file to the desktop first, rename it if you have too, to: Settings.Updates.LiveUpdate and then move it into the correct folder.

Install Ghost, ignore all the warning messages.

Carry out 2 liveupdate session's making sure you choose the archive server. You'll need the latest build especially if your using SATA drives.

Create the ghost boot disk using using boot disk wizard in ghost utilites.

reboot machine with floppy inserted into usb floppy drive.

Created an image fine.

Back into Vista, i had to change the ownership of the files ghost created so i could access them in ghost explorer (do this is security tab of the properties for the file, you may have to turn off simple file sharing to do this)

I could then access the image fine in ghost explorer and also modify it.

Next, was to see if i could re-image the machine back from the image i had just created.

And i could, it worked perfectly.

So hopefully that means that Ghost 2003 DOS version works fine with Vista, well it did for me anyway, and Ghost Explorer.

I did then try using the version inside  windows and it kept telling me i needed admin rights, which i did have. So i guess the inside windows version doesn't look so rosey, but i never use it anyway, and am happy that the DOS version works.

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #25 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 6:34am

Excellent!

Glad it worked for ya...

It's nice when people post results 8)

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 11:53am

Adenewton, thanks for the post.  A few questions...
  • To be clear, are you saying that you successfully created and restored an image of Windows Vista using Ghost 2003 in DOS?
  • What edition of Windows Vista did you use?
  • Did you need to employ any command-line switches with Ghost 2003 to make this work (e.g., the “-fdsp” switch)?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 11:58am

adenewton wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 12:46pm:
Next, was to see if i could re-image the machine back from the image i had just created.
And i could, it worked perfectly.
So hopefully that means that Ghost 2003 DOS version works fine with Vista, well it did for me anyway, and Ghost Explorer.

But, can you restore your image to a new/unused/blank hard drive (assume you have a hard drive failure in the future)?  And will Vista work in those circumstance?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

adenewton
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 1:49pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 5th, 2007 at 11:53am:
Adenewton, thanks for the post.  A few questions...
  • To be clear, are you saying that you successfully created and restored an image of Windows Vista using Ghost 2003 in DOS?
  • What edition of Windows Vista did you use?
  • Did you need to employ any command-line switches with Ghost 2003 to make this work (e.g., the “-fdsp” switch)?

Yup, i used Ghost 2003 in DOS mode.

It was Vista Ultimate

Didn't use any command line switches.

Smiley

IP Logged

adenewton
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 1:50pm

John. wrote on Mar 5th, 2007 at 11:58am:
But, can you restore your image to a new/unused/blank hard drive (assume you have a hard drive failure in the future)?  And will Vista work in those circumstance?

When i've happily finished trialling my applications in Vista, i will trash the HDD and attempt to do this.

At the moment I don't want to have to install from scratch and start all over again.

Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print