Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista (Read 400616 times)
ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista
Reply #45 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 1:12am

@AdeNewton
just for a matter of interest see if that none bootable vista
partition boots with this windows XP boot disk
http://www.postbox.wanadoo.co.uk/xpboot.exe
down load it to desk top and then double click on it to make a
bootable XP floppy disk.
boot with that floppy and choose the partition on which none bootable Vista  is residing.
if you be kind enough to post your finding be grateful
also this
Vista Boot Floppy
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/floppy.html

Regards Ben

Smiley

IP Logged

Fonk
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:04am

Is gost sollution 2.0 having the 'old' Ghost.exe 8.2 / 8.3 ?

So what i learned is it has something to do with the MBR ?

I tested Vista RTM on C:\ 15 GB.

Backed up to D:\ Vista.gho

I have tested XP / 2003 on the same C:\ 15 GB

Backed up D:\Xp.gho (or) 2003.gho

Till now it did reset the systems correct.
But after reading this topic it might look ok but is is not ?

I have from a busines a long time ago a ghost version that says 8.3 in the dos version.

Symantec Ghost 8.3 Corp ( i think)
I did not use any switches yet, so no idea about that Track ID MBR problem.

But this maybe because i have installed Windows Xp first, than Ghosted, Than installed over that partition Vista RTM, ghosted to D:\ and reset Xp --> Vista and Vista back to Xp.

If this is wrong alltough i have no errors then i need to run checkdisk and see the logs.

IP Logged

Fonk
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:40am

I would like to Buy Ghost Version 11.

But i am confused.

Is the latest *real* ghost version ghost.exe 8.2 / 8.3 ?
Or is Ghost 11 an updated version  of the real ghost e.g. not DriveImage.

I used Symantec Ghost 8.3 Corporated from dos (I believe this is still the 'old'   *Real*  Ghost version.

No i have the option to but Version 11. Ghost 11.
Would like to know if this is a updated version of 8.3 or if it is worse and uses DriveImage.

The thing is, Version 11 tells me it uses Vista 100% by design.

A lot of users did not like 10.0 or 9.0 because it was not the real old ghost version ?

I hope version 11 is still the real ghost and not a DriveImage version as 9.0 and 10.0

Anyone can tell me it is oke to buy ? Or should i stay with Version 8.3 (exe)

I need 100% savety fopr my bussnis systems. And i still use dos for that from a special made CD by me.

So yeah, if Ghost 11 is worth the money i will buy only if it is saver or more updated and better then the old 2003 / Ghost Corp 8.2 or 8.3 (that i have now)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #48 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:41am

Concerning the minimum number of licenses for Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 that must be purchased, you’ll see “5” if you enter the online Symantec Store via the “Small and Mid-Size Business Products” path or “10” if via the “Enterprise Products” path.

As noted in Reply #23, I did actually call Symantec Sales, and confirmed that 5 licenses is the minimum purchase (i.e., 5 x $39.20 = $196.00).  Although somewhat expensive, this might be a desirable option for anyone who really prefers to use a DOS-based imaging solution for a Windows Vista PC.

Personally, I am not interested in using Ghost 11 (Ghost Solution Suite 2.0), since I don’t perceive that it has any advantages (and does have some disadvantages) as compared to Norton Ghost 10 (soon-to-be ‘Norton Ghost 12’).  It is intellectually interesting, though, to explore the compatibility issues in order to gain a better understanding of the ‘why’ behind the operations of a software product.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #49 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:35am

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:41am:
"... Although somewhat expensive, this (Ghost Solution Suite 2.0) might be a desirable option for anyone who really prefers to use a DOS-based imaging solution for a Windows Vista PC..."

Now, I am thoroughly confused.  Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 runs in a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment while apparently emulating Norton Ghost 2003 as the latter appears in DOS.  The obvious necessity for Ghost Ver 8.2 to boot up with - and then operate from - a drive with removable media is to allow generation of a "whole-disk cold-image", and an image which is compatible and interchangeable with Ghost 2003.

So, is Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 a "cold-imaging" product and does it actually function in: (1) a classic DOS environment; (2) a Windows Preinstalled Environment on removable media; (3) a Windows Environment on a HDD not "organic" to the system at issue; or (4) a manner not described above?

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #50 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:32pm

El_Pescador, as I interpret the Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 documentation, the product includes both a DOS (“Ghost.exe”) as well as a Windows (“Ghost32.exe”) version of Ghost 11.  In the Symantec Ghost Implementation Guide, for example, you’ll find both versions discussed.  Note that the screen images for Ghost 11 in that document are highly similar to those found in Ghost 2003.  As a consequence, it is my inference that a GSS 2.0 license would provide the user with the ability to run Ghost 11 in either DOS or Windows (Vista or PE) in a manner quite consistent with Ghost 2003 in DOS or Ghost 8.2 in Windows PE.

I must admit, though, that my comments are based upon my reading of the documentation rather than actual experience.  Hopefully, a more knowledgeable individual will confirm or correct these observations.

Please take a look at the Symantec Ghost Implementation Guide, and let me know if your interpretation is the same or different.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #51 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 1:22pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:32pm:
"... take a look at the Symantec Ghost Implementation Guide, and let me know if your interpretation is the same or different..."

My interpretation is the same for all practical purposes.  Although much of the content in the Guide is way outside my purview and comprehension, I was nonetheless fascinated enough by references to migrating from PC to PC via Ghost that I am good for a 1/5 share if four or more forum members share my curiosity based on the requisite minimum purchase (i.e., 5 x
$39.20
= $196.00).

EP
Cry

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #52 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 1:56pm

when you get your windows vista DVD try
their way(MS) of imaging with imagex .exe and VistaPE with imagex.exe on the CD
http://www.boxpost.orangehome.co.uk/vistaimaging.htm
I still have not got Vista to play round with as it is too expensive.
but made a VISTA PE 2 from WIAK download 600 Mb
but was worth it as it is very informative and includes SIM
(system Image Manager)
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #53 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 3:29pm

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 6th, 2007 at 1:22pm:
My interpretation is the same for all practical purposes.  Although much of the content in the Guide is way outside my purview and comprehension, I was nonetheless fascinated enough by references to migrating from PC to PC via Ghost that I am good for a 1/5 share if four or more forum members share my curiosity based on the requisite minimum purchase (i.e., 5 x
$39.20
= $196.00).

EP
Cry

Add my name. I too am interested to try it. Can't pass the good deal.

R

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #54 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 4:04pm

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 6th, 2007 at 1:22pm:
"... I am good for a 1/5 share if four or more forum members share my curiosity based on the requisite minimum purchase (i.e., 5 x
$39.20
= $196.00)..."

Well, counting myself we already have three forum members onboard at this moment Shocked

In an attempt to exercise due diligence, I discovered the image below at

Despite the statement highlighted above, I am not altogether sure one way or the other that Windows XP Home Edition is in fact supported for our purposes.  I suppose that we will just have to call in an expert to resolve that matter.  Regardless, the more I read, the more excited I become to get my hands on the Enterprise product entitled
'Symantec Ghost
TM
Solution Suite Version 2.0'

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #55 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 4:06pm

El_Pescador, you would need to check with Symantec Sales to be sure, but based upon the end-user license agreement employed for its consumer products, I doubt that Symantec would allow you to sublicense a Ghost Solution Suite purchase and thereby divide and distribute the 5-pack of licenses to 5 users.

Before going further, you may wish to download and test the free ‘trialware’ version of Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 to see if it meets your objectives.

P.S.:  I noticed that the Symantec website no longer lists Ghost Solution Suite as a product under the Enterprise Products category, but only under the Small and Mid-Size Business Products category.  What's up?  Am I missing something?

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #56 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 4:16pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 6th, 2007 at 4:06pm:
El_Pescador, you would need to check with Symantec Sales to be sure, but based upon the end-user license agreement employed for its consumer products, I doubt that Symantec would allow you to sublicense a Ghost Solution Suite purchase and thereby divide and distribute the 5-pack of licenses to 5 users.

Before going further, you may wish to download and test the free ‘trialware’ version of Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 to see if it meets your objectives.

P.S.:  I noticed that the Symantec website no longer lists Ghost Solution Suite as a product under the Enterprise Products category, but only under the Small and Mid-Size Business Products category.  What's up?  Am I missing something?

If we go ahead with the project, it can be treated as a joint venture, so all would own the license so sub-licensing issue would not arise Cheesy

Note: I believe there may be severe limitations on the trialware and this has to be looked at.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #57 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 5:41pm

You are creative, Rama – but I still seriously doubt that Symantec will acquiesce to the approach.

Think about it from their perspective.  If you buy licenses in bulk and then 'redistribute' them, you have appointed yourself as a reseller – and have bypassed Symantec's authorization for becoming a reseller.  I am incredulous that such an approach would be tolerated.

But, my opinion (or yours) doesn't really matter:  Symantec has the final say on the issue, so it would be wise and appropriate to ask the question before proceeding.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #58 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 6:38pm

Pleonasm:

It is not my creative idea! Every business man/woman knows about it.

Joint ventures, which are more like partnerships, are formed routinely for a specific project and they are recognized as a valid legal entity. If need be, an assumed business name can be formally recorded in any local county courthouse and the order will be placed in the name of the joint venture,  more so because the joint venture is not trying to be a reseller trying to make a buck. The five individuals forming the joint venture will own five legal licenses and are going to try the software in their environments.

I am not a lawyer, but routinely deal with complex tax matters and has seen joint ventures.

Rama

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #59 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 8:13pm

Rama wrote on Mar 6th, 2007 at 6:38pm:
"... If need be, an assumed business name can be formally recorded in any local county courthouse and the order will be placed in the name of the joint venture..."

Actually, until my residence was devastated by Hurricane Katrina I operated a solely-owned Subchapter S corporation - recognized by the IRS who issued me my own EIN - that was chartered by the Louisiana Secretary of State and licensed by the Parish (County in the rest of the USA).  Since all assets and records of my consultancy - plus my personal technical library - were lost in the floodwaters, that chapter of my continuing career as a marine biologist was closed with stark finality and I reluctantly chose to retire for the second - and probably final - time.  Perhaps like the mythological Phoenix, I should emerge from my murky and sordid surroundings to re-establish my enterprise and thus validate the purchase of a minimum number of licenses for
'Symantec Ghost
TM
Solution Suite Version 2.0'
LOL Roll Eyes

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print