Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Upgrading SATA HD w/ G10 (Read 13664 times)
eSpin
N00b

The older I get the better
I was.

Imperial Beach, California

Upgrading SATA HD w/ G10
Feb 2nd, 2007 at 1:25pm

What am I doing wrong?
My system OS is XPpro SP2 all updates
2 SATA 200GHz drives (no RAID), 1 everything optical
P4 3.4gHz, 2GB mem, Phoenix E686 Bios

Windows works fine with just the C: drive installed
I bought G10 downloaded online 2 days ago so I could
Clone my old C: drive to a new WD500 GHz drive.

When I run “Copy My Hard Drive” it seems to be working
fine and fills up the progress bar in about ½ hour then
stops and gives me the error:
“EC8F17B3 cannot complete copying (C:\) drive
Details 0xEBAB0013”
Rebooting takes about an hour while the OS is “repairing orphaned
Files” but it does complete.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Upgrading SATA HD w/ G10
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 2:30pm

eSpin,

That's annoying. Could you check for bad sectors on the HDs? Are you copying into Unallocated Space?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

If it still doesn't work I suggest creating an image and restoring the image to the 500 GB HD. How much data do you have in the C: drive? Any hidden partitions?

IP Logged

eSpin
N00b

I was.

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:35pm

Thanks for responding, Brian,
Windows Disk Manag reports Layout partition Basic
Disk 0, Basic 189.91 GB, online (C:) 189.91 GB NTFS Healthy (System)
Disk 1, Basic 465.76 GB, online,  (no drive letter) 465.76 GB Unallocated
The bars show just one continuous “partition) blue for C: and black for the intended destination drive.
On the select destination menu of the G10 Wizard it lists:
(C:\) Disk 1, NTSC, 194466 MB, Primary
(*:\)  Disk 1 Unallocated,   7 MB, Primary
(*:\)  Disk 2 Unallocated 476937 MB Primary

Note: I don’t know what that 7 MB piece of my 1st drive is for?

My C: drive is using 65.3 GB and has 124 GB free.
I ran CHKDSK /R and everything was hunky-dory although is did replace
Some bad clusters in an .avi video file.

A maybe question? My new Drive(s) are SATA(2) 300 MB/s and the old ones are SATA(1) 150’s. If my onboard SATA drivers don’t support the faster standard, (although they are supposed to be backwards compatible) I noticed WD put jumper pins on the back to force them to 150 MB/s. If this could cause my problem I’ll install the jumpers, but if not I’d like the higher speed. 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 7:17pm

eSpin,

Quote:
Note: I don’t know what that 7 MB piece of my 1st drive is for?

It's no problem. Ignore it. I gather it's there in case you want to create a dynamic drive.

Quote:
A maybe question? My new Drive(s) are SATA(2) 300 MB/s and the old ones are SATA(1) 150’s. If my onboard SATA drivers don’t support the faster standard, (although they are supposed to be backwards compatible) I noticed WD put jumper pins on the back to force them to 150 MB/s. If this could cause my problem I’ll install the jumpers, but if not I’d like the higher speed.

I used to have a setup like this. Again no problem. Leave it.

Try the clone again using my recommended settings. Were you planning to partition the 500 GB HD? Let me know if you need to restore an image to the new HD, if the clone fails.

We like partitions.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:59pm

eSpin wrote on Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:35pm:

Brian is probably right to say "leave it", but I think you should check carefully as to whether your SATA controllers supports 150 mbs or 300 mbs.  Just to be sure.  It's not just the speed, but there are additional sata commands that happen with sata 300, but not sata 150.

I have a PCI sata 150 controller card.  On the sata drive (Seagate) that I purchased, I had to set the jumpers to 150 mode because my controller does not support sata 300 commands.

Is your controller on the motherboard or separate PCI card?

I think it's called "native command queuing" or "auto negotion" that is 300 only.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 9:07pm

John. wrote on Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:59pm:
I have a PCI sata 150 controller card.  On the sata drive (Seagate) that I purchased, I had to set the jumpers to 150 mode because my controller does not support sata 300 commands.

Ghost4me, interesting. My previous computer had the controller on the MB (Dell 8400) and only supported SATA 150. I used  SATA 150 and 300 HDs in that computer and didn't need to use the limiting jumpers. I did try the jumpers but there was no difference. I guess PCI controllers are different.

To play safe, maybe you could use the jumpers for the clone process.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 9:13pm

I'm not sure, sorry.  Just thought I'd point out to double check the controller specs and hard drive specs.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 9:15pm

You're probably ok.  Here's what online manual for Seagate says:

Quote:
Serial ATA drives are designed for easy installation. It is usually not necessary to set any jumpers on the drive for proper operation; however, if you connect the drive and receive a “drive not detected” error, your SATA-equipped motherboard or host adapter may use a chipset that does not support SATA speed autonegotiation. If you have a motherboard or host adapter that does not support autonegotiation:

IP Logged

eSpin
N00b

I was.

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:51am

I redid it with and without the 150 mb/s jumper and I get the same result. After running for 17 min and showing about 70 min to go, the error pops up. The progress window shows an “error ebab0005 running job copy disk” and the pop up “error ECBF17B3 …” when I look at the XP Disk Manager I see that G10 did format a NTFS primary partition across the entire 500 GB Drive. No drive letter, and not (system).  I have to delete this to try C10 again.
When I reboot, CHKDSK starts up and resets about 100K of file indexes, but it fixes the C: drive to work fine again.
My computer is a Shuttle XPC and has 4 SATA drives support on the mother board.

A new observation: I wondered if there could be an update that was not on my download so I tried “Live Update” and get an “LU1803 internal error” even with firewalls off. I’m wondering if I have a corrupted download even though it installed OK.

Do I have to burn a disk with G10 on it? Or should it run from my C: drive and copy itself as well or does it eat itself? It’s not clear to me.

If I can’t get it to work, Brian suggested I create an “image” and restore it to the new drive. I have a 120 gig WD USB that I use to take files to my laptop. Can I use that? Can I use the image and restore method and get a C: drive with all my application programs working?

Thanks so much for your help. I apologize for my ignorance. I really need to do this before I have a HDD failure.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:27am

eSpin,

I'm not sure what to make of that Live Update error.

Your C: drive is using 65.3 GB so the backup image (using normal compression) is going to be around 40 to 45 GB. You can write the image to your second HD, to the external HD or even to the C: drive itself. But remember to delete it after the restore if you wrote it to the C: drive. My preference would be to have both of your 200 GB HDs in the computer and write the image to the second HD.

Quote:
Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup (your C: drive). Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image (your second HD). Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ... Ignore Advanced.  Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish

Now that you have a backup image there is no hurry for the remainder. If you intend to create several partitions on the 500 GB HD (I always do), now is the time. Replace the second HD with the 500 GB HD, boot to WinXP and partition from Disk Manager. Or use Partition Magic from DOS if you have PM. Omit this step if you plan on a single C: drive partition and no other partitions. ie leave the HD as unallocated space.

Now remove the boot 200 GB HD and replace with the 500 GB HD. If you partitioned, return the original second HD to the computer. Now restore the image. You will need the bootable Ghost 10 CD which you don't have at the moment. Get it from Symantec. Probably will be a download ISO which you can burn to a CD.

Quote:
Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
click Recover My Computer
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next
choose the Unallocated Space on your new HD or the partition you created for your C: drive. Next.
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
Resize drive to fill unallocated space will probably be greyed out. If it isn’t, tick the box
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signature
tick Restore MBR
Next
no tick in Reboot when finished
click Finish. Yes

When it's finished you should see a confirming message. Quit from Ghost 10, remove the CD at the startup screen and your computer should boot to WinXP.

Questions?

IP Logged

eSpin
N00b

I was.

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 10:28pm

Brian,
Stranger and stranger,
I followed the procedure in your last post (very clear) to backup the 65 GB on my C: drive to the second HD, my E: drive. It started and reported 57 min to complete. After about an hour it stopped and popped up:

Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of C:\. Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 4104 sectors starting at LBA 75086560. Error EBAB03F1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Details: 0xE7C3000F
Source: Norton Ghost

Backup did put a file on the E: drive:

[RecoveryPointStorageLocation]
E:=.
[TimeZoneInformation]
Bias=480
TimeZoneName=Pacific Standard Time

Both C: and E: 200 GB drives seem to work and pass DSKCHK.
I switched my RAM banks and tried again…same result

I used Nero to burn a CD-R “Bootable” and it burned the 338 MB “Norton Ghost….iso” successfully. However, if I try to boot with it, the boot starts and after about 20 lines it reports some not found errors and hangs up the computer and the keyboard with the message press any key to continue. (thank you Bill G)

Finally,  The Symantec Autofix Tool won’t load at stage 2 from IE-7 or Firefox even though I “OK” Active X controls. And, they still hang on “Live Update”.

Have you any ideas where I can go from here? (about fixing the problem I mean  )

Thanks again for your time and help.
Steve (eSpin)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:48pm

eSpin,

You aren't having a pleasant Ghost experience.

Firstly, the CD. You mentioned...

Quote:
I used Nero to burn a CD-R “Bootable”

In case you didn't, you should have burnt the "image". From Nero, click Recorder, Burn Image, navigate to the ISO. When you boot to the CD the first thing you should see is "Press any key to ....."  You may need to load SATA drivers from a floppy if the CD doesn't have your drivers. You will find out when you browse for a Recovery Point. If you can't see your HDs then drivers are needed.

The Windows messages are concerning and seem well represented on a Google search but without a clear answer. You mentioned chkdsk was OK without bad sectors. It looks like a read error but error messages in Ghost aren't very helpful.

Maybe you should uninstall Ghost and dotNET Framework. Get a new Ghost download and reinstall both software. Sorry, nothing magic.

Let me know how the CD boots. There is a Ghost 8.2 program on the CD that may get around your problem.

IP Logged

eSpin
N00b

I was.

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Success story,

I wanted to upgrade my computer to two bigger HD’s and have it work without having to reinstall OS or application programs. I bought G10 online for download and learned the following.

1. The download  puts on the desk top,  “NortonGhost…..iso” file (338 MB) and a small “setup.exe” (108 KB). Don’t   just jump in and run setup. It seems to install but won’t work right.

2. DO burn an image of the (.iso) file to a bootable device that your bios can boot to. I used NERO and burned to a external USB optical drive. You can, but don’t need to set your BIOS to make the CD the first boot device. G10 does that for you.

Don’t be tempted to burn a bootable data disk. That boots with NERO’s drivers that are not registered to Ghost and will crash.
DO, with NERO 7 ultra, find the “image burner” navigate to the “backup” menu and then slid bottom bar fully to the right to find the “Image Burner” on their ugly skinned menu.
DO install G10 from the burned image.

3. Making a image of my C: drive onto my second drive works fine.

4. Partitioning and formatting  my new drive with winXP drive manager

Don’t worry about not assigning drive letters, G10 will take care of that.
DO pay attention that the partitions are entered in MB, not GB.
Formatting 500 multiple partitions will take a long time (go to bed.)

5. After restoring to the new drive:

WinXP needed to be reactivated. But it was painless on line.
Mathsoft MathCAD 13 also needed reactivation. Also painless.
SolideWorks, Lightwave 3D Modeler, Corel and other medium and high end programs all work fine.

Thank all for your help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 9:24pm

Steve, good news and thanks for providing a summary of the saga. It will be helpful for others.

IP Logged

john263
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 7:09am

I have the same rrror code 'ecbf17b3' at the same 30 mark trying to copy from one to a second identical WD 160 gig ribbon (not serial) ATA drive.  This makes me think the error is more related to disk content than type of drive or copy speeds. I am using one of the workaround suggestions made to you and trying to make a backup to restore from rather than a disk copy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print