Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Restoring with NS&R (Read 51490 times)
unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Restoring with NS&R
Feb 9th, 2007 at 5:45pm

The FAQs here are very helpful and I'm sure they will get thru in couple of days when I do my very first restore.  I do have a few concerns I need to get clear before I perform that task.

First a little history,
1. I'm backing up to USB external drive and using the "Back Up Now" option.

2. The C: SATA drive(from which I have been backing up from) has only 1 partition (in other words, I stupiedly did not partition off my XP OS separtely).

In a couple of days my new upgrade components will arrive which include a mobo, cpu, ram, and video card. Once installed into my old case with the old optical drives and the same SATA drive......will a simple restoring to the old reformated SATA drive with a partitioned off OS (see I can learn) be ok?  Or is there something else I need to know/do before I restore?

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Restoring with NS&R
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:46am

unure wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 5:45pm:
In a couple of days my new upgrade components will arrive which include a mobo, cpu, ram, and video card. Once installed into my old case with the old optical drives and the same SATA drive......will a simple restoring to the old reformated SATA drive with a partitioned off OS (see I can learn) be ok?  Or is there something else I need to know/do before I restore?

No.  Sorry for the answer, but you can't just put a hard drive from an older computer into a newer motherboard/computer and expect it to work.  The motherboard is different and xp will probably not even boot, or else get blue screen stop.

You really need to do a clean fresh XP install, then re-install your applications and restore your data.  Anything else will likely give you problems off and on for months.

SOMETIMES, you can do a XP Repair install and it works depending on a lot of factors.

Here's some reading and references:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xp+change+motherboard

XP Repair Install:

Here's some guides on how to do it and the precautions. Of course, you should backup all your user data beforehand if you possibly can.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.ms...

http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/repairinstall.htm

Finally, note that the intent of Ghost is to restore your backup onto the same system, not migrate to new pc's.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:05pm

Quote:
Finally, note that the intent of Ghost is to restore your backup onto the same system, not migrate to new pc's.

Thank you, I unfortunately understand that now.

Quote:
You really need to do a clean fresh XP install, then re-install your applications and restore your data.

And then those applications can be restored from my old backup...correct?

Ok, I understand that and was planning on a clean fresh install knowing that drivers for the new components will not work just by using or restoring from the old backups (sorry my original post was not clear). I ment could I transfer/replace /migrate (sorry I'm not real clear on correct terminalogy) the files from the old backup such as My Documents /My Pictures and program files etc. The OS will be the exact same.  The main end result I'm looking for is to have all my info to be the same as it was on my old PC...on the new PC.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:43pm

unure wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:05pm:

The applications have to be re-installed on the new XP system.

Any data files, such as documents, pictures, etc. can be restored from your Ghost backup image.  I would run a Ghost "verify" on your backup on your usb drive beforehand just to be sure it is ok.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:06pm

Wheeew!  Thanks.  You just lowered my anxiety level.  I will run Ghost "verify" beforehand as you suggested.  Since this procedure will be new to me I might have to return for clarification on the particulars.  Once again, you and this site have been very patient, helpful and a lifesaver........much thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:40pm

John. wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:46am:
SOMETIMES, you can do a XP Repair install and it works depending on a lot of factors

leary,

Why don't you try a Repair Install. It may just work and save you a lot of time. If it doesn't work then just delete the partition and install WinXP.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11460...

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:43pm

It's good that you are using an external usb2 drive.  Very handy.

As a "double precaution" for safety of your data/documents/pictures files, I would create a redundant backup of them using Windows Explorer:

1. Create a new folder on the usb2 drive called MyBackup
2. Then use a normal Windows copy with Windows Explorer to copy your my documents/pictures etc folders as subfolders to MyBackup.  (This is assuming you don't have giant video or music or other file types)

That way you have an extra copy of the most important items.

Another option would be to burn your critical documents and files to a cd or dvd for extra precaution.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:06pm

John. wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:43pm:
It's good that you are using an external usb2 drive.  Very handy.

As a "double precaution" for safety of your data/documents/pictures files, I would create a redundant backup of them using Windows Explorer:

1. Create a new folder on the usb2 drive called MyBackup
2. Then use a normal Windows copy with Windows Explorer to copy your my documents/pictures etc folders as subfolders to MyBackup.  (This is assuming you don't have giant video or music or other file types)

That way you have an extra copy of the most important items.

Another option would be to burn your critical documents and files to a cd or dvd for extra precaution.

Good idea...I'll do it right now.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:13pm

Brian wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:40pm:
leary,

Why don't you try a Repair Install. It may just work and save you a lot of time. If it doesn't work then just delete the partition and install WinXP.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11460...

So I'm clear....after my new components are installed and my original HD drive in reformated....I should try to restore from my backup (in hopes it will even boot) then use XP repair install feature?  Sorry if I am misunderstanding but my experience in all areas except maybe hardware is quite limited.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:28pm

Correct. Restore your backup image to one of the partitions you have created and then see if the OS boots. It probably won't so then boot to your WinXP CD and run the Repair Install.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 4:09pm

Brian wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:28pm:
Correct. Restore your backup image to one of the partitions you have created and then see if the OS boots. It probably won't so then boot to your WinXP CD and run the Repair Install.

Great, I'll try that too.  I knew I could burn DVDs of MY Documents/pictures/music but its my Program Folder that I'm really concerned with because its too large and contains all apps....more importantly my Valve (Steam) account.  I live in a rual area with no DSL or cable BB so its dialup for me. I spent over 6 hours at a friends house downloading just that account and he did have DSL.  So getting the Program Folder intact to my new PC is critical.  Thanks again for everyone's help and when the time come next week I might need to pick your brains again!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:06pm

unure wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 4:09pm:
but its my Program Folder that I'm really concerned with because its too large and contains all apps....more importantly my Valve (Steam) account. 

By Program Folder, do you mean software you have downloaded or do you mean the WinXP Program Files folder?

Do you know how to mount an image?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:28pm

leary

Quote:

If you are asking if the application programs will work after you restore them from a Ghost image file to the new system--the answer is *No*!

You can restore *data*--files that are independent of applications--such as *.doc* files, *.jpg* files, etc. that can be opened by an installed application.  But Windows based applications must be installed so they have their program Registry entries installed--a simple restore of the *.exe* file will not do that!

If the application is an OS independent application that has no entries required in the Registry--that program will work if it is restored from an image file!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:41pm

Brian wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:06pm:
By Program Folder, do you mean software you have downloaded or do you mean the WinXP Program Files folder?

Jeez, I thought they were the same.  I think it the WinXP Program Files folder cause that the usual default folder for games (Valve games are downloads) , and many other application folders like Adobe, even NS&R folder plus about 30 more folders.  So I think its WinXP Program Files folder.  

Quote:
Do you know how to mount an image

Not sure.  Do you mean using the "Copy My Hard Drive (Advance)" option on the NS&R menu? If so I did backup one time that way, but never had to use it.  I didn't think that was a good option for me because it image sthe entire HD (including my OS which is on the same partition) and thought everything would get screwed up with all the new components.  My thinking (probably wrong) was that the image of my old PC, if restored to the new PC with all the new components....it would just not work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:07pm

Let's say you download WinZip and the file is in My Documents. You then double click the file and run the install. Windows creates a folder in the Program Files folder and this contains a lot of WinZip files. In addition Windows puts entries in the registry and maybe files elsewhere in the C: drive. So you really can't copy only the Program Files folder to a new WinXP and expect the apps to function.

Mount An image (Mount a recovery point) :  Your recovery points are on the external HD. Right click a .v2i file and click Mount. OK the offered drive letter. If you now look in My Computer you will see a new "drive" which is your backup recovery point. You can copy and paste files (or drag) from this drive to your C: drive or to any other partition that may be present. See how easy it will be to get files from this backup recovery point into your new WinXP if you have to install WinXP from scratch.

To dismount the drive: Right click the drive letter and click Dismount recovery point.

Quote:
"Copy My Hard Drive (Advance)"

Don't use this. Restore the recovery point from the CD Recovery environment.

What brand computer? Any hidden partitions?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print