Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
After taking image of PC, boots into PC-DOS (Read 15108 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: After taking image of PC, boots into PC-DOS
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 10:41am

KDawg44

Quote:
It wants me to agree to terms, input a product code, etc.

Sounds like you may have inadvertently already initiated a new installation, and Windows has placed an install file asking for the product activation code or something!

I'm afraid I don't know what the status of your system is in at this point--I've never run into what you are dealing with...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

KDawg44
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 10:45am

THanks for all your help.  Perhaps I should just push the image back.... I appreciate all your time and effort.....

IP Logged

KDawg44
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 7:46am

Thanks for the help.  This has been crazy.  Now it will not boot into Windows at all.  It boots up, gives me errors about not being able to load the filesystem, and reboots.  I pushed the image to a different PC to make sure the image was okay and it appears to be fine.  I tried pushing this image back to this computer twice and I still get these unable to boot filesystem.  I am just going to have to swap out the PC.  Does this sound like a hardware failure of any kind? I guess i could reinstall a fresh copy of XP and see what happens to that. 

Thanks for all your help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 8:56am

KDawg44

If I understand correctly, you are restoring an image that you made from this same machine--if you are able to create an image and restore it without error messages--usually, but not always, of course, then hardware failure is a less likely issue.

Because everything was working fine until you used Ghost and its *virtual partition* routine--I would look at Ghost incompatibility with the virtual partition on that machine set up--so a hardware/software incompatibility.

Have you performed an *Integrity* check on the image set just to be sure Ghost does not report any errors with it?

Because you have been doing a number of procedures that alter the Master Partition Table, etc. in the boot tract--unless you have cleared that problem that may be there--in the default mode, Ghost does not specifically over-write that area if the HDD has prior partitioning present and an existing Master Boot Record.

I would use either MBRWiz or Gdisk to wipe the disk's boot tract--sectors 0 thru 62--before restoring the image to that HDD--this will force Ghost to restore the boot tract when you restore the image and any prior corruption in the boot tract will be gone--i.e. a fresh start from when you created the image.

Because there appears to be a *virtual partition* incompatibility issue--you might want to restore the image using a boot to DOS without using the Windows based Ghost server that is calling the *virtual partition* on the local client.

You could do this a number of ways--the image could be placed on a separate HDD that is then hooked up to the local client as a secondary HDD, and then booted with Ghost boot floppy. 

Or the image could be put on a USB external HDD, and then boot with an appropriate boot disk on the client with USB support. 

You could burn the image to optical media and then boot the client machine and restore from the optical media. 

You could run Ghost32.exe on the source computer under Windows, and boot the client system with a boot disk with peer-to-peer network support and transfer the image peer-to-peer--this also avoids using the *virtual partition*.

Or the client HDD could be installed as a secondary HDD on another system that has the image file, boot to DOS on that system and restore the image to the secondary HDD, and then transfer the destination HDD back to the original system.

Of course--each of the above may have its own issue(s) that you have to work out in terms of getting everything to work correctly.

Quote:
I guess i could reinstall a fresh copy of XP and see what happens to that.

That's a good test to see if there are *other* issues besides how Ghost is performing--but at this point--I'd make sure I wipe the boot tract to all zeroes before proceeding!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

KDawg44
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 10:45am

Thanks for the advice.  I pushed the image to another PC (same model and everything) and all is working.  However we are doing a few software updates and once that is done, i will need to take a fresh image which I am now nervous about.  I have taken several images of other PCs that are the same model and never had problems until this really important one.  Damn that Murphy!

Thanks for all your help

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print